Health Insurance

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We along with many of our friends all with different insurance providers received word that our plans were canceling at the end of 2015. Our high deductible plan has been in place for many years with an HSA plan to help with the deductible. In all of the years we have had the Assurance Health Plan we never met our deductible yet each year our rates would go up from one hundred dollars to sometimes over three hundred dollars a year.

When I received the letter saying our insurance was ending I started researching. It appeared that our deductible per person was going to go up to $6500 and premium up to $954 a month. Talk about frustrated and irritated, less coverage more money.

Then I listened to a blog talk radio show "Ask the Trucker" and learned more about the Affordable Health Care Act and Owner Operators. Using our Adjusted Gross Income we qualified. For 2016 our premium is now 210.94 with a $175 dollar deductible and co-pay on doctors visits. We will also not need our HSA so in essence next year I will be saving about $800 a month on health care premiums.

When we could go to our doctor for DOT physicals we would get complete checks ups done. He though chose not to get certified as he said "I do not need that hassle, I am busy enough with out it". Now maybe we can get back to regularly scheduled checkups and continue to stay healthy as we are aging.

This is who I talked with to find out about getting insurance:
Transportation Contractors

I talked to Trey Walker and this is his direct line as well as his email. He has worked with several drivers in many different states.
[email protected] or call (877) 264-3196.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Good information. We have been on a plan though the ACA exchange, coming off of it at end of month because I am n covered by a group plan at work now, just in time too, our current ACA plan went from about $400 to $1200 a month for 2016! The system is broken!

Shelby

Last edited:
Reactions: vandriver2

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We along with many of our friends all with different insurance providers received word that our plans were canceling at the end of 2015. Our high deductible plan has been in place for many years with an HSA plan to help with the deductible. In all of the years we have had the Assurance Health Plan we never met our deductible yet each year our rates would go up from one hundred dollars to sometimes over three hundred dollars a year.

When I received the letter saying our insurance was ending I started researching. It appeared that our deductible per person was going to go up to $6500 and premium up to $954 a month. Talk about frustrated and irritated, less coverage more money.

Then I listened to a blog talk radio show "Ask the Trucker" and learned more about the Affordable Health Care Act and Owner Operators. Using our Adjusted Gross Income we qualified. For 2016 our premium is now 210.94 with a $175 dollar deductible and co-pay on doctors visits. We will also not need our HSA so in essence next year I will be saving about $800 a month on health care premiums.

When we could go to our doctor for DOT physicals we would get complete checks ups done. He though chose not to get certified as he said "I do not need that hassle, I am busy enough with out it". Now maybe we can get back to regularly scheduled checkups and continue to stay healthy as we are aging.

This is who I talked with to find out about getting insurance:
Transportation Contractors

I talked to Trey Walker and this is his direct line as well as his email. He has worked with several drivers in many different states.
[email protected] or call (877) 264-3196.
My Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield was yanked out from under me a few years ago. Was told I needed to sign up for ACA, so did. This year's Premium is $152.06 with a Deductible of $5500. Yes, that's with a Subsidy. Now have been told if I wish to stay with Health Span, it will increase to $259.00 and Deductible will be $6800. Geez, I thought this was Affordable!! So....when reading that you have found a Plan that has a Premium of $210 and a $175.00 Deductible I am IN SHOCK!
Now, I want to keep my 2 doctors that I've had since '89, so have only Health Span or Paramount to select from.
I too, have to Prove my annual income each year in order to recieve the subsidy. Not very happy about a $100 increase every year as well another Grand added onto the Deductible I'd have to meet first! Heck!
I am checking with my Carrier as well to see what TIA could offer Contractors.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
what is your whole plan Linda, monthly premium, out of pocket per person and co pays and such, and yearly out of pocket per person and does it cover out of network for the same price. Does it cover emergency life flight 100%, and what amount do you pay before insurance pays 100 %. Just curious cause we had a 64% increase in our premiums to keep the broken coverage we have. which is good for the 608 $ we are paying, what. after 1200 $ out of pocket 100% is covered no matter

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you like your insurance, you can keep it.
Ya...I SOOOooooo remember him saying that. So, I felt relief, as I loved my Plan.
Loved the Plan I chose and had auto deduction from my Savings account. It was a $200 Premium and the Deductible was $5000.
Nope, from out of no where....out of the blue I get a Cancellation Letter in the Mail.
My Ohio Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance is Cancelled. WHATTT?? WHY!!!?
Control, Manipulation and the almighty Dollar.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We currently have BCBS and our policy just increased 295 this year. Nothing for it, just pay more. So we went from 800 to 1100 a month. That is for two people. Amazing our old policy covered more with a fraction of the deductible. Of course that got cancelled. Oh, and deductible with old plan was 2500 total. Now it is 6500 a person.
Better have the deductible or you basically have no insurance.

Reactions: vandriver2

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You believed him?
On one hand I can count how many people in my life I can trust what they say to me to be the truth.
When I saw HIM say that on TV 3 or more years ago, I felt, okay, I have a choice here.
I'M, yes, I'M being Honest here.
"If you like your Plan, you can keep it."
Ok, that's good. So, at that specific moment it sounded as if an insured person isn't being forced, manipulated.
Until I saw he lied...when I received my BCBS Cancellation Letter in the Mail.
SHOCKED, DUMBFOUNDED and ANGERED.
Did I believe anything that came from his mouth or ANY Politician's from that moment on?
no

Last edited:
Reactions: artie and Ftransit

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We currently have BCBS and our policy just increased 295 this year. Nothing for it, just pay more. So we went from 800 to 1100 a month. That is for two people. Amazing our old policy covered more with a fraction of the deductible. Of course that got cancelled. Oh, and deductible with old plan was 2500 total. Now it is 6500 a person.
Better have the deductible or you basically have no insurance.
WOW, that's Large.
How awful.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
High deductible will make a patient think twice about seeking medical care
Ya, you definitely HOPE you don't EVER have anything Major suddenly happen to you, your Heart, etc..
Unless you already have a HUGE Emergency Fund set up specifically for such bad surprises.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We use a HSA to offset that high amount. But I am mindful most don't use that as a vehicle to offset it.
You're correct, most don't use that HSA, and many don't have Health Insurance.
....AND most of the Marketplace Insurance Companies, don't offer it.
I hope for decent health (no major surprises) a well-maintained Work Vehicle
and never an involvement in any Collision.
I don't know how the next generation will get by. I truly don't.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is true. You have to have the right policy for it. As for the next generation, it will have to change. Probably not for the better. What they have now with changing demographics, isn't sustainable.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
It is better if you make little money. If not, plan on paying for others. Wealth redistribution as advertised.:rolleyes:

I'm wondering why I'm redistributing my wealth (or perceived wealth...hahaha) to the OP, as their new premium most definitely includes a credit or subsidy.

I too, have to Prove my annual income each year in order to recieve the subsidy.

You have to prove your income no matter if you qualify for the subsidy/credit or not.

Exchange: You have to provide your income, sir, so that we can see if your wife qualifies for a subsidy.
Me: What is the income threshold for a 2-person household?
Exchange: $62,000.
Me: We make more than that.
Exchange: You still have to submit your documents, so that we can determine that.
Me: I'm not asking for anything. You guys provide nothing but an obstacle.
Exchange: We provide you health insurance.
Me: No, you fubar'd the insurance we were already buying.
Exchange: Submit the documents, or we will terminate your wife's coverage.
Me: I'm calling my Congressman.
Congressional aide: Submit the documents.

Bend over, touch toes, spell RUN three times fast.