Zipp Express - tenn.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A few months back a former O/O told me they had plenty of miles.
The rate was too low.
He left.

All I know.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We ran for them prior to coming to Load One. Reason we left is that it cost's the O/O way to much money to run freight there ( cargo ins. & fees. ) were the biggest cost. When we left 2.5 yrs. ago it cost 8.5 cents per mile based on 115,000 miles a year and I have heard it is up to.11 cents now. Other than that not much else to complain about but that is enough. They are kinda complacent about some things and you do need to stay on them and make sure you get information you need.

wwgx90

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the replies. It does appear they are a little light on a couple of their pay plans in relation to what other items that they do not cover ( such as cargo ins., no EZpass, etc.).

Last edited:

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
we have a few trucks leased on over there. we have been there for several months and everything has been great so far. miles have been consistent and the good thing is that we don't go out west or the northeast. we did quite a bit of comparing when we decided to move from our old company and what really turned me on to them was that every time our trucks were setting in laredo, they would have a couple of trucks to show up at the usual truck stops and they would always get there trucks out before we could get ours out. i talked to a few of the o/o's and they all had nothing but positive things to say about the whole company. so i visited them and liked what i saw. one of things i liked was that they didn't shut down on the weekends like my last company, so our trucks get booked on the weekends, instead of just sitting til monday. they have actually recently started a new pay plan, it is as competitive as any other pay plan that i have seen. if you are a solo, they pay $1.50/mile and $1.60/mile to teams. they also give you an option to do an 80/20 split if you don't want to do the flat rate plan. they will do a deal where you can take a $.10/mile cut or do a 75/25 split and they will pay your insurance. they do provide a pre-pass at no cost, they pay all tolls, pay a layover fee, a birthday bonus, and the biggie is an awesome anniversary bonus that is higher than every other company i was looking at. the only expenses that the owners are required to pay are $35/week for occ/acc insur., and $25/week for the tracking unit (and maybe your regular insurance's, depending on which pay plan you choose). i don't think their deductions are higher than most companies out their. everyone there is very friendly easy to get along with (unlike our last company) and the cool thing is that if you need to deal with the owner, he is usually in the office or you can get him on his cell phone. if your thinking about moving, definitely give them a call. no complaints so far... i will keep you posted.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
What about the 100$ a year administrative fee and the fee to figure your fuel tax.

You said other ins. you pay your bobtail ins no matter whether you have it privately or on a plan through your carrier but Ronnie use to make O/O pay for cargo ins.

now, if you are paying cargo ins., let's look at your ins. options. It was 105$ a week when we were there and I understand it went up 5$ or 10$. If you choose the reduction in rate of .10 per mile and run say 2000 mi a week ins is costing you 200 per week or @ 5% if the gross is 2000$ it is costing you 100$ per week. The more you run the more it costs the way you are explaining it by paying for it with the rate reduction plan. If it cost a 110$, let's say, per week to pay it out right, then at 2000 mi per week it costs you .05 per mile off the per mile rate to pay for it. That decreases your rate to 1.45 solo / 1.55 team and even more on the rate reduction plan. Then other costs come off that also. Is there a dead head program and if so is it covering all your fuel.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing Ronnie he is a great guy and treated us very well and was always available when we needed him and it sounds like he has added a few perks with the bonuses and layover, although don't know how that works, does it pay when you don't have freight on the truck or if you have to hold the freight ???

As I stated, if you are paying for cargo ins. Which most carriers do not make you do and that cost is a big hit off your income and along with the other expenses we incurred it was up to 8.5 cents per mile just to run freight there. That is 8500$ a year, if you take off the tracking it is 7200$ and that's a lot of money that could be used else where.

Please respond and update any mor information !!!

Last edited:

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
i see what your saying and of course we crunched #'s and we are doing the $1.50/mile for our solo's. the one good thing about taking the rate reduction and letting them pay the insurance is that if you are at home for a week or so here and their, zipp pays the insurance and you wouldn't have to worry about it. but anyhow, we found several companies that pay the trucks insurance and ifta tax, but their rates were considerably lower. most companies we found were only paying around $1.10-$1.15 + FSC, for solo's or teams, and even when you add the two together it didn't total the flat rate that zipp is paying. and the percentage rate that a few companies are paying was around 62-67% + FSC and in most cases, it wouldn't total the 80% that they offer. i would rather make more up front and have to pay a few expenses. ronnie told me they were trying to be more flexible with owners and not just offer one way of paying the owners, like most companies do. some owners like flat rate and others like the percentage, you have a choice here. as far as the tracking unit, from our research, most companies don't pay for those, a few might, but not most. the $100 per year admin. fee was explained to help control cost for MVR's and drug tests for the year. the layover fee is for when you drop a load and take your 10 hour break, if you haven't been booked on a load over 200 miles within 48 hours after that, they will pay you $75 to help cover idling cost and meals while waiting (so far, haven't come close to receiving that bonus). the anniversary bonus i mentioned earlier is one the big things we felt set them apart from most, each year on your anniversary date, you receive a $.01/mile bonus for all loaded miles. so if you run 100,000 loaded miles for the year, you receive $1,000. how many other companies are doing that? they also do a random drawing on the first of each month for $500 for the drivers. like i said, we did a lot of comparing of several companies, bid and small, and even though there a few expenses the owners have pay out, their are lot of extras that make up the difference. they obviously don't have the bank accounts of panther, express 1, or even load 1, but seem to care about there owner/drivers and are working hard to retain them. like i said, so far, so good.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
So with them paying the ins on a reduction plan minus the 3.5 cents the admin and ifta fee costs, you are at a 1.47 on the loaded side. What about dead head ??? That cuts into your rate also.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Zipp seems to be doing some neat things.

On the $1.50.
I was wondering about the dh, also.

The COC should require only all miles to be spoken about.

If you're 50% dh, you're at .75 and going broke.
If you're at $1.50 all miles, you should be cruising if there's a decent amount of miles.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can tell you it is not an all miles rate. They use to negotiate DH but it only worked out to almost cover fuel so you were still losing. This is what I have been trying to point out. And the plan to pay ins., the more you run the more it cost so anything much over 2k a week on miles becomes a money making proposition. Granted they pay ins on weeks you don't run but if you run a lot it will still benefit the carrier.

A real cost cost analysis needs to be put on paper. It's really not much different then when we were there except the layover and penny bonus. All the cost is still there they are just providing ways to pay it.

Even of you get a 1000$ a year bonus and another 500$ in layover it is still costing you 7000$ a year based on a 100,000 mi to run their freight, period, no other way to get around it. What's the saying about putting lipstick on. You can do things that make it look different but it's still the same when it comes off !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
it's obvious I don't break my #'s down as elaborate you guys do. but, as far as d/h, we have gotten at least $.50/mile for d/h miles on every load so far. it has ranged from getting $.50/mile to getting all the d/h miles paid at regular rate. their are some companies that don't pay any money for d/h and some you have to give up the 50-75 for free, then you may get $.35 or somewhere around that for d/h. they ran a report that showed their d/h miles compared to loaded miles and for the past 4 yrs they only have a 9% ratio of d/h to loaded. how many companies can say that? definitely not the ones we have ran for in the past. all in all, there has to be cost of owning a truck and operating it. some companies pay for certain things and some pay for other things. load 1 and some of the other "big" companies have more direct customers and are getting more per mile so there profit margin is far greater than the smaller companies, so they can eat the cost on some of the fixed expenses that are a part of the industry. I agree, taking the reduced rate and letting zipp recoup the cost of insur may not be the option for every owner, but some drivers don't run as hard as others, so they may be home more than others. as far as I know, load 1 pays on a percentage, but it sounds like you guys don't have any expenses or very few. what are you responsible for?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
it's obvious I don't break my #'s down as elaborate you guys do. but, as far as d/h, we have gotten at least $.50/mile for d/h miles on every load so far. it has ranged from getting $.50/mile to getting all the d/h miles paid at regular rate. their are some companies that don't pay any money for d/h and some you have to give up the 50-75 for free, then you may get $.35 or somewhere around that for d/h. they ran a report that showed their d/h miles compared to loaded miles and for the past 4 yrs they only have a 9% ratio of d/h to loaded. how many companies can say that? definitely not the ones we have ran for in the past. all in all, there has to be cost of owning a truck and operating it. some companies pay for certain things and some pay for other things. load 1 and some of the other "big" companies have more direct customers and are getting more per mile so there profit margin is far greater than the smaller companies, so they can eat the cost on some of the fixed expenses that are a part of the industry. I agree, taking the reduced rate and letting zipp recoup the cost of insur may not be the option for every owner, but some drivers don't run as hard as others, so they may be home more than others. as far as I know, load 1 pays on a percentage, but it sounds like you guys don't have any expenses or very few. what are you responsible for?

qualcom and drivers for fleet owners have to carry occ health @30$ per week. yes load one pays a % and we are not that big, bout 130 units.

you are right in that it is not for all. we are just all about making sure the truck turns a profit for every mile it runs and the higher the better. run less make more.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would expect many things have changed since 10\29\07. This is what Panther removed from my compensation weekly.
Qualcomm $20.00, Satellite messaging $35.00, Physical Damage\Bobtail $23.70, Truck Insurance escrow $30.00, Occupational Insurance $17.47. Total $126.17 $504.68 per month from a cargo van.

noneya

Active Expediter
I just quite running for them last month. Zipp will keep you moving. My issue was mot with zipp, it was with the fleet owner not paying me fairly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited: