Your Story Begins By..............

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hiya folks,

Just a few questions about your expediting experiences here. The good & the bad. I believe there was a similar thread to this awhile back, but we've got some new people on the forum plus this might be a chance for some of the people who read but are hesitant to join jump in. So for anyone who hasn't posted but enjoys this site, by all means c'mon in!! The water's warm!! =)

Some of what I'm wondering is:

How & when did you become involved in expediting?

What were you doing (work wise) when you got into expediting?

Was there anything besides expediting that you considered doing?

What have been some of your better experiences in this industry?

What have been some of your less than great experiences in this industry?

Would you do it all over again if ya knew then what ya knew now?

In what ways are you a better driver now than you were when you first started?

What are some of your favorite/least favorite cities to visit?

Do you have any particular runs that you really enjoy getting for reasons other than pay? (like say an Indy to Philly run that gets ya to your favorite aunt/uncle's house)

What are some things that could be done to improve your expediting experience?

I guess in short, what I'm curious about is what's your situation in regards to your career here. Ya can add anything ya feel is important that I may not have asked. Those were simply thoughts off the top of my head as a starting point. I'm sure there's a lot of great (and maybe a few not so great) experiences out there that would be very interesting.

Be well,
Danny

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I truley enjoy what I do out here. This year does not seem as good as last but the $ is about even.

My favorite runs are anytime up 81, my disliked runs are Penna Turnpike into Jersey or NY. St. Louis is terrible for me, WI is the best.

The people I have meet including those I dissagree with have been great. The EO has helped out alot, once you learn to seperate hipe from real facts.

As for doing it over again, probably not, govt regulations, maintaining a truck is costly, responbility or vs.vs. Either way it needs to be done to keep rolling and to keep others off your rear. Fuel is a challenge, but a post earlier was and is a great tool. Home time is min, this is a hard adjustment, with that said you seem to become numb to missing your loved ones. Good or Bad you must be your own judge.

are12

Expert Expediter
We got into the expediting 2 1/2 years ago so I guess you would say we are still new to it all but for the most part, we love it! It is nice being our own boss, picking and choosing which loads we will and will not take and having the freedom to see so many sights.

Before we got into this, Jim drove for a company out of IN, he took 2 beer loads a week into NYC and had the weekends home(PA) - which was very nice since he was racing dirt track at the time. Me, I did electronic billing for Diamond/Triumph Auto Glass.

How we got into it, Jim would see all these expeditor trucks and started talking to the driver's every chance he got. He would come home and tell me all the things he learned and thought we could make a go of it. He also stopped in Knoxville and told me about a truck he found. So we sat and did some figures and it all looked good on paper so we went to our bank and they approved the loan! So we each gave our 2 weeks notice and got ready to run the open road - again! (We ran an 18 wheeler together for a while but I was not thrilled with that at all, it could have been because we ran our a**es off)
Made good money but too much is too much.

My favorite run is to Los Angeles, CA and it is not because of the mileage behind it but my best friend lives out that way so we usually get to spend some time with her and her husband.

Some of our best experiences, so far, was going horseback riding in the Badlands, going to the dirt tracks in TN and GA, hiking in the Smokey Mtns and getting to go to Mexico! (Went to my 1st Cat House-now that was an experience! Put like my husband tells everyone - that was also his 1st time at one and he never pictured that I would be sitting next to him)

Our worst experience, was taking a load the day after Christmas in 2005 to Manetoba, will never do that again - what a mess!!! Then there was the time we went from NC to Indy with our tranny going just to get the load delivered. Cost us $7,000.00 and a week and a half off work!

Don't really have any favorite cities but don't care for Chicago or NYC!

There are a few changes that could be made to make life a little easier: better FSC's, not offering small loads to teams, better pay -with the cost of living always going up, it would only seem fair to raise our rates a little.

All in all, it is not bad. I don't think I would do things different if I had the chance to do it all over again. I actually like being out here. Yes, there are times I miss home but then, there are those times that I am happy being away!

Be Safe!!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Some of what I'm wondering is:

How & when did you become involved in expediting?

----We came into expediting in 1999-which was an anomaly I think with regard to the trucking industry especially expediting-due to the year 2000 approaching. We worked for Roberts then and made a ton of money.

What were you doing (work wise) when you got into expediting?

----One of us worked in a law office and the other owned a business.

Was there anything besides expediting that you considered doing?

----No-expediting or trucking was whacky enough for us. LOL

What have been some of your better experiences in this industry?

----The magnificent sights we see. We do feel like glorified tourist sometimes. Sometimes we just look at each other in amazement that we are actually getting paid to see and go to some of the places we have been.

What have been some of your less than great experiences in this industry?

----We don’t like to change companies-
----Seeing first hand the heartache and devastation after 911 and Katrina-
----TPS with FedEx
----Changes in the HOS

Would you do it all over again if ya knew then what ya knew now?

----Yes, but we would have built a different truck-we would have made C unit with reefer/lift gate and kept in on with FedEx CC

In what ways are you a better driver now than you were when you first started?

----After a million miles with no accidents or violations we think we are very lucky drivers-

What are some of your favorite/least favorite cities to visit?

----Portland, Oregon; Freeport, Maine; Las Vegas and Savannah, GA-Favorites
----Los Angeles, Ca; NYC; Shreveport, LA.; and TEXAS-Least Favorites

Do you have any particular runs that you really enjoy getting for reasons other than pay? (like say an Indy to Philly run that gets ya to your favorite aunt/uncle's house)

----Took a run from the start of Route 1 on Mars Hill, ME. To almost the end of route 1 in Florida Key area.
----“Willingly†would dead head to any location to pickup or in other words, take all loads dispatched to Norfolk, VA. Ford Plant (many don’t/didn’t like going there, lol) so we could see our grand kids.

What are some things that could be done to improve your expediting experience?

----WE SHOULD UNIONISE in some fashion. Cheap freight will be the demise of this industry. When companies can put freight on a truck for .50 a mile…because people are out here willing to take it…why should they call in their freight to one of our carriers. These shippers will/can just wait until some one gets desperate enough to carry it cheaply.

The h/w team driver pool is getting smaller and the expedite carriers we lease with are getting bigger…almost monopolies…not a good combination in my opinion. We have already seen that carriers we are leased with make changes routinely that are not in the best interest of the o/o and there is little we can do about it. As o/o we have little or no input in many of these decisions nor do we have much recourse. A bunch of warm bodies does not make a reliable fleet but in my opinion before any of these big companies realize this fact, it will be too late.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom but I don’t see the true expedite industry growing. Sure, we will always need the services of a fleet such as FedEx’s White Glove but for us peon expediters, I personally feel the end is near. The auto industry is really hurting and that is the bulk of the freight that most of the companies we are leased with transport. The little ma and pa company will surely dry up with the auto industry taking a dive too. Wow did I ramble…LOL on to the next question….

I guess in short, what I'm curious about is what's your situation in regards to your career here.

----Expediting has been one of the best things we have done in our lives. We truly enjoy it. BUT I must add it is a life style as well and if you are a person who needs a lot of personal space, structure, regular sleep and eating habits it may not be for you.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My wife Diane and I left our white collar professions to become expediters three years ago; starting in fleet-owner trucks and now driving a truck of our own. We find expediting to be the easiest, least-stressful, most lucrative and most fun work we have ever done. I write stories about our experiences, both good and bad, which can be read at:

http://www.successfulexpediters.com/Madsen/MadsenWritings.htm

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
bamamule/txbelle

Bamamule career has consisted of construction,factory in shipping/receiving department, and trucking business.

Txbelle's career has consisted of going to college 2003-04 being on the honor soceity has been expericence. Going to college full time and working at flower/gift shop and del.

Then we decided to as team,partner in the expediting ...we have been in it 12/15 be 2yrs....same company....:)

The experience with that company was ok....but the owner of the truck we drove for was nite mare....the man who owns that truck is still with this company....We worked for 6wks...no pay...the company said we was turning in all the paper work right....said there was money being paid to us but the owner had to give us our settlement...To make it short story on that , the company did get us new owner of another truck....to drive for...after 2 wks working for him...we got our settlement every week...

Bamamule knows what's it like dealing with dispatchers...but me Txbelle...I trust to easy...believe ..people to easy he says....

We both was raised to tell the truth....there can be easy way and ugly way to.tell the truth...but no matter we want the truth...but we have found out thur the trucking buisness it does not seen to work..that way..Our thought on this is sumed up in nut shell....don't trust what's said on the cell phone or even over the qc...especially about pay....

Here's brief.example...your in king's mountain,sc or nc :) ....they ask you to do recovery...they pay dh of 187miles to knoxville to meet the truck...You get there hr early...no truck there..then dispather puts over the qc and tells bamamule over the phone...for us to go to new swap point..over qc he put the miles from Knoxville,TN to the final swap point would be loaded miles pay which was 267....from swap point in VA....to final is 550 to Jamicia,NY..all we got paid for was the 550...we did not get the loaded miles told to us by dispatcher over qc and phone....If we keep getting loads this way...we be working for nothing.....we are buying our truck and pay all fuel,maintance...but there has been good times here.. this has all just started happening in the last 8 months.....

But, you have to be positive and try find the positive if you can't.....then you have to move on...

This experience for us has should us we have seen the good and bad in us both....to go forward and try to learn...what goes around comes around....

It has been great seeing all the USA in the winter,fall,summer and spring....and different cultures....people...food..lol

We have to look at it this way...we all would be bored to dead if we was all the same...we have had good times....expediting...sorry for being so long winded .but i am from the south...:)lol

thanks for your time
Bamamule & Txbelle

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :)

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
It was a dark rainy night, the love bugs covered my windshield. Had been on the road for 3 weeks, when I pulled into the driveway. Actually it was a bright shiney day. My wife was hanging clothes out on the line, and yes I had been on the road for 3 weeks. At the time I was driving busses for a Charter Company, nation wide. My wife was happy to see me as this was only the second time I had been home all summer. Busy season in the OTR bus business started in early April and went thru November. She was kind of upset as this was not why we got married.

I had started driving buses back in 1969 when I got home from Uncle Ho's playground. Drove line routes for 15 years and charters for 10 years, hence, the handle 2 million plus, as these are actual logable miles.

My wife Peggy, had driven school bus for over 18 years at that time and also worked in a gas station in the evening. She kept telling me about swome guy tht came in ther that was with a company called Roberts Express, and why couldn't we do somethig like that. Well, it was early in 1994 and so the story starts.

We made terrific money with Roberts, but we were treated like wayward orphans. Basically like we didn't have minds of our own. One thing lead to another and this new company, Con-Way Now, was just starting up, so we went with them after many heated conversations.

We liked CWNO, but after so many miles and 4 years of staying out 3 months at a time, Peggy decided I treated her more like an employee than a wife, and decided she was done, she would go back to school buses, and I, went into the Con-Way offices.

Started in the offices as a Driver Contact, then to a Night Supervisor, Dispatcher. Then to a driver line supervisor, and finally to a Recruiter. I did have one problem, the entire time at Con-way - - I could not and did not ever lie to a driver. So my reputation spread, that Mikie B will tell you the truth no matter how bad it hurts. I figured that I hated the lies when I was a driver and O/O, so I would never lie to a another fellow Road Warrior. So here I am, retired from Con-Way and still helping my multitude of friends.

So, hang in there, you can always come to me for the Absolute Truth.

2millionplus

"The Old Man"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Besides being a fountain of abosolute truth, Mike is also a man with an abundance of patience, compassion and excellent people skills. He had to put up with me all those years.

I remember a dark, cold night stuck at customs in Emerson, MB........

Thanks Mike!

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Our story begins a long time ago when Nicole and I started dragging b-train doubles for fun...

We used to spend the time between school sessions, starting in high school as soon as we had our licences dragging b-trains loaded with wood chips with a tractor provided by Nicole's father who owns a heavy duty truck dealership. They were most often heavy loads in excess of 100,000 lbs.

We loved it! At the beginning of each session Nicole's dad always provided us with a top notch tractor equipped with a sleeper. He also used the unit as a demo for anyone wanting some hands-on as our route would take us through town at least once/day.

When our schooling came to an end, so did the trucking... but we started our new lives as a software engineer and accountant. Did that for several years, but constantly missed our trucking days.

At one point Nicole's father approached us with the idea of getting back on the road. He wanted to put together a small operation as an expansion of his existing business. Today under his authority we have 10 trucks on the road. 9 are hauling wood chips with b-trains, the other unit is a straight truck configuration which Nicole and I operate. We fit right in with the other rv's at the parks, while it is based on a class 8 truck it really is more motorhome than anything and looks the part too. Make no mistake though, there is room for freight in there. Yes, we are trucking wussies! Very self contained and all the toys to keep us happy... including clothes washer/dryer. (The washer/dryer is Nicole's idea of a toy! :) )

We provide custom service that goes the extra mile to satisfy the needs of customers. Loads have been everything from a single 16 week old kitten to a custom chopper and everything in between.

We love the life and independence.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Q. How & when did you become involved in expediting?

A. Last year my wife got tired of me sitting around the house and sending out resumes.

Q. What were you doing (work wise) when you got into expediting?

A. I was the Vice President of anythingxtreme.com and xpaintball.com.

Q. Was there anything besides expediting that you considered doing?

A. I have written a few articles that have been published. It would be nice to make a living doing what I love.

Q. What have been some of your better experiences in this industry?

A. Working with a carrier that has a open ear for new ideas. Finding a carrier that is correctly structured to provided driver representation at the company level. I have a Fleet Coordinator that is always willing to help. She is the very best I have ever worked with. Had it not been for Christina I may have moved on to a different carrier.

Q. What have been some of your less than great experiences in this industry?

A. Working with a carrier who told me that deading was an investment in my future. And waiting for 7 hours at the shipper after drinking 3 cups of coffee and a Mountain Dew just before I arrived. I tried to catch some sleep, but....

Q. Would you do it all over again if ya knew then what ya knew now?

A. I might have tried to secure a dedicated route by contracting with a local manufacturer before jumping into OTR expediting.

Q. In what ways are you a better driver now than you were when you first started?

A. I have more patience with folks.

Q. What are some of your favorite/least favorite cities to visit?

A. Favorite: Beaufort, SC,
Least Favorite: Chicago area, Detroit area

Q. Do you have any particular runs that you really enjoy getting for reasons other than pay? (like say an Indy to Philly run that gets ya to your favorite aunt/uncle's house)

A. Dayton to Knoxville and back in the same day so I can be at home with my lovely little wife.

Q. What are some things that could be done to improve your expediting experience?

A. Just as drivers have to undergo an orientation process I would suggest that dispatchers also undergo an orientation process. The carrier should include at least 3 drivers in every dispatcher orientation so that they can obtain a better understanding of how we conduct our business.

Night_Runner36

Seasoned Expediter
were to begain at well since I can remember I have at some time or another drove truck, I Love driving more then any other type of work,I found this by chance as the last job I drov a 11 yard mixer truck, and when I started back up this past spring,I was lucky to be getting 20 hours aweek so My wife and I sat down and started talking about My going back over the road again after being at home every night for the last 6 years it wasnt easy, and one late night I was surfing the web looking up all the different trucking companies out there and as I got up to go and get a drink the curser floated down onto a link and I didnt notice and clicked the mouse and up came a whole new page with different compaies on it and they were all expediters, so I filled out an app. online and the next day there was a call from the company I'm at and I love doing this job more then any other job I have ever donr besides the miltary,I laugh at night when I hear some driver crying about how He or She hates thier job and how it sucks being out here ....I reply to them were else can you work and beable to see this beautiful country we live in and meet the differnt people that call this home and get paid for it no I wouldnt change a thing I just wish I had found it years ago...to all My fellow drivers out there stay safe . and stay happy :)