You Truckers!!!

G

You truckers don't know the first thing about courtesy or safety! I hope the DOT shuts you guys down. I despise the way you tailgate at 75 mph. Get a life, you're not the only ones on the highway!

FED UP-
Erie,Pa

G

if you had any courtesy at all you would move out of the way us truckers have time scheldules and with out us (YOU) WOULD STARVE AND HAVE NOTHING,SO SHUT UP & MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!!!

G

Fed Up you know nothing about trucks. 99% of the trucks in the united states won't run 75mph. Autos do most of the tailgating. Car and truck wreck statistics show auto drivers are usely at fault by a higher percentage. If you would like to ride in my truck for a week to see the real world, I'll be happy to have you. Maybe you'll see differantly if you would have an open mind

G

A polite response to an angry posting

Ladies and Gentelmen. We have a golden opportunity here to either make a friend of this person, OR re-inforce the standard image of the slob trucker. I believe that what he has said is partly true, there are owner-operators who have their vehicles running wide-open, and do tail-gate with reckless abandon. I know, I have had the unpleasant experience of being the tail-gatee.

The point that Fed-Up is trying to make, I think, is that we all suffer for the stupid actions of a mind-less few. Any one who has read this forum over the past few months will easily remember my strong comments about how we all have to try to clean up our collective act, as it is viewed by the public. The business of dangerous driving practises, such as tailgating, will never go away as long as there is the attitude that when in their cab, each driver is some king of small god, who answers to no one, and has absolute and supreme power. I have made it a practise to use my CB radio to point out to so-called "Professional Drivers " that the act of following too closely behind another vehicle is a unsafe way to drive. I leave it to your imagination to decide how these drivers answered me back. And there in lies the problem. It is a matter of self-discipline, that is to say, these drivers have nobody looking over their shoulders, and they believe they are not going to be caught in their mis-adventures, neither by law enforcement agents, or by the company they are hauling for.

As long as drivers have the attitude that they are not accountable to anyone, and can get away with anything.... they will!! And we will continue to hear comments such as that from Fed-Up. I will echo the sentiment that most car drivers have little, or no understanding of the difficulties associated with operating heavy trucks. I stongly endorse programs that allow the general public to at least sit in the cab of a large truck, so that they will be able to see for themselves, how restricted the view from the cab is, and what can or cannot be seen in the mirrors.

Finally, a personal message to Fed-Up. I suggest that if you are so agrieved by the driving practises of heavy truck operators, do this. Carry a pen and note pad with you in your car, and write down the license plate, unit number, and time, date, direction of travel, on what road, and the company name on the cab door, forward this information to the state police barracks closest to your home, and also call the company collect to report the problem. Be prepared to clearly state what your complaint is, and give as much info as you can. This is how we all will begin to have an effect on our public image. One final thing. I am a field editor for Expedite Now magazine, but I am also a veteran commercial driver with over 34 years of accident free driving, 12 of those years were spent operating a ambulance in the largest city in Canada, Toronto, Ontario. So I do understand how to get thru traffic safely, and quickly, without causing others to curse me. Nuff said, comments from the forum please. Jim Bunting, Field Editor Expedite Now.

G

RE: A polite response to an angry posting

Jim,

you are absolutley right!..but dang, the Unabombers Manifesto was shorter...lol My brain hurts from reading...lol(too many big words! :eek:))

G

You Truckers!!!

Just curious....do you run 45 mph in the hammer lane? Also do you have a 1974 green Ford Pinto? With a "Meat eaters are Killers" bumper sticker? Just wondering.

THE X

G

PINTO's are YELLOW!!!

Hey X,

Don't you know that most PINTO's are that banana-yellow color??

I bought a 76 Pinto station wagon a few years ago <that was before
I was making all this BIG money in expediting...yeah right>

It was that yellow color, so I bought some spray paint.

And it *did* actually get up to 75mph or so. Don't know how accurate
the speedo was, with the wrong size tires and all..

Funny thing...it ran OK so long as it didn't rain. When it rained,
something in that motor just made it quit. Left me on the side of the
road plenty times...

Ah....the good times

G

Try this test for electical shorts in wiring

To diagnose a engine that stalls in wet weather try this test. At night, when it is NOT raining, start engine, open hood, mist the engine area with a windex bottle filled with plain water. The problem is usually small cracks in the ignition wires which are hard to see in the daytime, but which will show clearly at night as small arcs of electricity on the wires or ignition unit. Replace the bad wires or cap with new parts, and then spray the new parts with ignition dryer spray. Viola, cest bien, mon ami. Jim Bunting File Editor, Expedite Now.

G

John Public was furious of truckers and yet
He stereotyped them all as buffoons and I'll bet
He drives the speed Limit enjoying sights of nature
What he wanted was a peaceful drive no stress before his lecture
His attention was now glued to his rear view mirror
A Rebel flag on the grill and a sign said highway killer
He slowed to a crawl his intent was quite clear
It's against the law to hit him in the rear
So the trucker crept closer to keep RPM"S up
The grade was increasing he'd have to downshift his luck
He pulled out to pass as the incline rose
But wouldn't you know it ,there the car goes
Speeding ahead in the nick of time
The truck now faced with a grueling long climb
Now in his office his first coffee in hand
Yelling at his secretary where are the 'glands'
We've had this plant down,far too long
You must have past him ,the truck will be along

G

Ha ha Wild Bill, I saw that PINTO!! But seriously, I am an expediter and have had some unpleasant experiences with Hot Dog Big Truck Operators, probably not as often as the bad experiences with "four wheel" drivers. The point is we all need to be more courteous to each other. We should realize that big trucks are extremely important to our economy without them we obviously would be lost and we also need to be more safety conscious of our own driving habits. Myself included. One act of courtesy per day per driver would greatly improve relations with all drivers. Let someone in who is trying to change lanes, stay out of the hammer lanes when doing under the speed limit, wave when someone is courteous to you...it makes my day when I see courtesy on the road, and it also makes me feel much better when I am courteous to someone instead of getting angry. Try it-it works!!

G

well sir not to burst your bubble, but do you realize that the majority of fatal accidents between trucks and cars is the cars fault.This is a fact put out by Michigan State Police. I have seen so many of the so call four wheelers driving like idiots out there. Always in a big hurry to go nowhere, and can't wait for the oppertunity to give someone the finger. A real class act I must say. Well slow down and find a little courtesy, and you may be able to write to us again....Keep On Truckin

G

All-right expediters, don't get your feathers ruffled by this yo-yo; the speed limit in most states is 70 or 75, so what is "John Public" doing in the fast lane anyway??
Besides that, he probably just surfed on into this site; he is long gone by now, don't waste your energy wit him. He's the one with his brights on in your side mirrors anyway.

G

Cry Cry Cry! If you have never driven a tractor trailer, then your opinion is moot! You are forgetting that the foreward visibility from a tractor is second to none. Tractor drivers can see accidents about to happen 15 or more cars from behind. As soon as brake lights are seen, a tractor can take action. Also, if you had to put up with all the unskilled drivers in four wheelers hiding in your blind spot and cutting you off, you would have a different attitude. Tractor trailers have kept this country afloat, not cars.
If you dont like the road, then get the hell off. With your attitude, it just makes me want to smash a four wheeler more than ever. It would be nice if you had the balls to sign your real name to your posts!

G

Wow, can see 15 cars ahead, if you are traveling at a good clip, its going to take you at least than far to stop and not be part of the accident you see ahead. Does your family ride on the hiway, comforting to know attitudes like yours are out there to take revenge on any 4 wheeler.

G

the university of mich. did study in conjuction with the msp ( that's the mich. state police,john public, that stated 78% of truck-car are caused by the car. it also found that 81% of trucks stay within 5mph of the posted speed. i am also unaware of any road in pa. where the speed limit is 75 so why are you going 75 in the first place maybe you need to stop and think before you start speaking and lastly for you to call yourself john public is an embarrassment to actual general public

G

I also noticed you were not enough of man to put your e-mail address i guess you meant to put joan public ( no offense to real woman)

G

Dont use the you truckers because as for four wheelers do the same and not all truckers tail gate.And not all four wheelers do either

G

Yes my family does drive cars. No, they do not drive like idiots. We have no yuppies driving mini-vans or rice burners with cell phone in hand. Sounds like you should be driving a stationwagon and be a real woman, instead of acting like the lesbo (wanna be man) that you are.

G

I have the solution! Let's share the road with the professional 4 wheeler operators. Monday, Wed. Fri. Trucks. I'll just stay off the road the rest of the time, home with my family and they can pay us a living wage since we will already have our 40 hours in. Then they can have the roads all the rest of the time without any trucks. They should , of course, have a back stock of whatever they need . Enough to last 2 days without a truck load anyway. LOL Ed

G

Let me tell you something BRET, I am more woman than "your living in the cave man days self" has probably ever been with. I fail to see what ones' occupation has to with what gender you are unless you making a living donating to sperm banks. I will not trade insults with you because you fail to see a resonable point of view and want to show your intelligence by calling someone names.