You Can Eat Gluten Again, America

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You Can Eat Gluten Again, America

Health professionals say this is a misconception—people without a related diagnosis don't need to avoid gluten.

"We don't think it's all that healthy a diet," said Peter H.R. Green, director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University and author of Gluten Exposed: The Science Behind the Hype and How to Navigate to a Healthy, Symptom-Free Life.

For those diagnosed with celiac disease or a wheat sensitivity, Green recommends something much simpler than gluten-free crackers or gluten-free microwavable pizza.

"There's this wonderful gluten-free food," he said, "called fruit and vegetables."

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ontario-based Clara Gluten-Free Water
Your lifestyle defines who you are – so why limit your choices? Clara Gluten-Free Water is about creating choices for your health and well-being while giving you absolute peace of mind that your life choices are being respected. Clara Water – Because you can never be too sure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario-based Clara Gluten-Free Water
Your lifestyle defines who you are – so why limit your choices? Clara Gluten-Free Water is about creating choices for your health and well-being while giving you absolute peace of mind that your life choices are being respected. Clara Water – Because you can never be too sure.
I don't mind that Gluten free and Organic products are taking over more and more of shelf space...fact is excessive SALT will kill you.....Low sodium products are a better choice IMO....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on you definition of "excessive." A pound will probably kill you, yeah.

But salt might not be nearly as bad as we've been told for pretty much our entire lives, as the research that showed it was bad was a little flawed and conclusions were drawn a little too quickly. Subsequent studies, of people looking really hard to find a link between salt intake and health problems, found little or no link at all. Here's an interesting piece from Scientific American that's worth a read and might change the thinking on salt.

I do agree that, generally speaking, low sodium products are a better choice, though. Salt is a flavor enhancer, and all too often, processed foods use ridiculous amounts of sodium to make their crappy food taste better. (Campbell's Soup, I'm looking at you). I'd rather have less-processed real food than marginally-real food that's so over-processed that it requires copious amounts of salt to be palatable. For several years now I've no longer freaked out about salt. I do keep an eye on it, though. That seasoning I make up (1 part each salt, pepper, paprika and garlic, all flavor enhancers on their own), I use it like salt, and since it's 1/4 part salt, I end up using a 4th of the salt I might otherwise use, but still get the same flavor impact.

FWIW, about 2 grams of salt per kilogram of body weight will kill you. (It actually ranges between .75 grams to 3 grams per kilogram.)

One pound is about 0.45 kg, So a 200 pound person is 90 kg. So, 180 grams of salt will do it. A tablespoon of salt is about 15 grams. So, 12 tablespoons, or 36 teaspoons. 6.4 ounces.

Suicide by soy sauce is not uncommon in Asia. One tablespoon of soy sauce contains about a gram (actually 920 mg), of sodium. A 10 ounce bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce has 20 tablespoons, or 184 grams of sodium. Use soy sauce on your food, but don't chug the bottle :D

On organics.... some possibly surprising things about organic foods.