XM/Sirius time shift system

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How many of you have one of these XM/Sirius radio time shift systems and how do you like it?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got both systems and enjoy them but never heard of time shift. What's it supposed to do?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well what I understand is that you can 'record' a program/song for later consumption.

I was looking for TimeTrax interface for XM but saw it was off the market and understand that both XM and Sirius has a system built in to some of their recievers.

The reason I liked TimeTrax was it converted each song or program into mp3 with all the info for the song. It also scheduled the recording session around your schedule.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like cool stuff that's higher tech than I am.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

MDB1

Expert Expediter
Hi Greg,
I have the XM MyFi receiver and I absolutely love it. The ads and documentation state that it will record up to five hours of programming for later playback but I have found in actual practice it will record around 10 - 12 hours. I listen mostly to talk programs so if you were recording music it might use up the memory a little faster. It has a built in rechargeable battery so you can carry it around and listen to the playback anywhere you want to; the battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours. I also have a headset that has an XM antenna built into the headband so I can walk around outdoors and listen to live XM broadcasting. You lose the signal when you go indoors unless you are close to a south facing window.

These things originally were priced at $350.00 and I still occasionally see them in a truck stop display case with that price. I have also seen them priced at $150, $199, $250, and $299. I got mine last year from the Bill Mack web site. He had a Christmas special with XM and the radio was $99. You also had to purchase a three month subscription at $12.95/mo. The package includes a car kit and a home kit. Also, if you have it plugged into the home kit it can be programmed to automatically record one or two programs one time or every day. It will not do that when plugged into the car kit. I guess that is to avoid any chance of draining the battery if the vehicle is left unattended for a long period of time.

Hope this helps.