Wyoming suspends tax at gun shows as animosity grows toward tax agents

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What anger directed at the government..wonder why??:rolleyes:

Joan Barron Casper Star-Tribune | Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 9:30 am | (0) Comments

CHEYENNE -- The Wyoming Department of Revenue has suspended sales tax collections from gun shows because of increasing animosity toward the state's field tax agents.

Dan Noble, director of the department's excise tax division, said Friday that an incident at a gun show triggered the decision.

He added, however, that resistance from gun show sponsors and participants has been a recurring problem statewide.

"I have 10 field reps throughout the state, and every one of them has experienced some animosity," he said. "Folks are nervous anyway because there are guns there. I don't want to put my people at risk."

Guns shows, like craft shows, are required to set up temporary sales tax licenses but do not have to pay the $60 fee for a permanent sales tax license.

The department's field tax representatives attend the shows and ask the sponsors to distribute tax forms to the sellers who, in turn, are required to collect and remit sales tax to the Department of Revenue.

Noble said the tax agents have never had a problem with compliance from the craft shows, for example.

"We tend to have more trouble at gun shows than any place," Noble said Friday in an interview. "This last incident was something I felt kind of crossed the line and, because of it I have suspended our activity in trying to collect this until we can get a better way of approaching it."

He said the "climate" has changed and some of the gun show people are "fairly extreme."

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Works for me... its nothing but a hidden registration to begin with...you pay a tax when you purchase, that tax can be traced to the seller and then to his records of the purchaser...plus it is also keepong tax dollars from the state and fed...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Like the fed tax on Gas and diesel...the Fed makes more off the tax then the refiners make...the states need to quit forwarding any tax they collect for the fed , just keep it and tell them to stick it...if all the states did this for a month, the fed would sit up real quick and "see what we can do" to get a handle on this BS....

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
"I have 10 field reps throughout the state, and every one of them has experienced some animosity," he said. "Folks are nervous anyway because there are guns there. I don't want to put my people at risk.":eek:

Guns at a gun show!!!!!!! How surprising!