Written Contract

terryhop

Expert Expediter
I've looked into driving a company truck for a smaller outfit. I've spoken with a recruiter and he was very upfront and realistic with what I could expect for pay and expenses. They've been in business over 10 years. However, they have no written contracts with any of their drivers! They belong to the BBB also. Any thought are appreciated.

Thank you very much,

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Belonging to the BBB means nothing. You as an owner pay a few to be part of their organization. Without a doubt, get EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING in writing. If you don't understand it, pay the $200.00 and have an attorney explain it to you. Be rest assured that if nothing is in writing, there is a reason. That reason being nothing is in your favor.
For what it is worth, that is advise from a owner as well as a driver.
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I concur about the BBB. It means nothing. In previous business endeavors, every dishonest schmuck I heard about or ran into was a member of the BBB. They use it as cover to create a false sense of security. On the other hand, being a member of the BBB yourself has its advantages. The general public puts stock in that BBB symbol you can put in your window if you pay the membership fee.

DMWJEFF

Expert Expediter
Terryhop talked to me about becoming an employee driving a company truck, NOT being an Owner Operator. Of course we have a lease agreement with our O/O's and provide them with the origional. We do not have a contract for company employees. Just wanted to clear this up.

A-team, I was an O/O with DMW for 2 years before coming to work in the office 5 years ago. I can assure you that I am not a "dishonest schmuck", plese take me out of this category. Thank you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Whether an owner operator, contract driver, employee ect. you should have any agreements in writing. This will prevent a relationship from turning sour or one party having a different interpretation of what is expected from the other.
Davekc

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting was my first experience as an independent contractor. Prior to that I was always an employee and never signed a contract to work. I think it's that way for most people.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are right that most don't in a employee situation. Most of what you sign on your initial application is the agreement body between you and the employer.
As an owner operator you have a financial stake in your agreement. It is imperative you understand what you are getting into. You need to know who pays for what, compensation, and your exposures.
These things are very different from company to company.
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>A-team, I was an O/O with DMW for 2 years before coming to
>work in the office 5 years ago. I can assure you that I am
>not a "dishonest schmuck", plese take me out of this
>category. Thank you.

I'm not saying every BBB member is dishonest. I know many good business people that are BBB members. I am saying a lot of dishonest people use their BBB memberships to mislead the public. The BBB screens no one that wants to join. Corrective action only happens after the fact, and then it amounts to pulling the bad-guy's membership. Being a bad guy, he (or she) will likely continue to proudly display the BBB logo in his office window.

BBB officials and most members mean well. It's just that their organization has no teeth and their good name is easily abused.