Would you haul this?

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
So I went to pick up in Richmond, IN. The load turns out to be a 2400lb liquid tote of something called Brittany, which they spray on dog kibble to make it appealing to dogs. They say it stinks like a mofo, so anything you get it on is really done for, for the foreseeable future, anyway. Like diesel, it doesn't really wash out of clothes, or vans, I'm guessing.

I look it over, and the valve is damaged--mangled really--and the metal frame around the plastic tote is bent up in multiple places. The forklift guy says those metal frames aren't that substantial to begin with. They showed me a picture of how it arrived, either on a straight truck or tractor trailer, something with a separate compartment, and that being damaged is the reason they're returning it.

In addition, the guy says he has short forks on the forklift and due to the weight, wouldn't be able to slide it at all, just set it on the very tail.

I look it over, imagining how I'm going to secure it without E-track, and with those straps of mine that continually loosen as I drive. He says, "Maybe if you have straight roads and drive gentle..." "I-44 across Missouri, a lot of up, down, and around," I tell him.

I took a bunch of pictures of the damaged tote and frame, sent them all off and told dispatch this needs to go on a straight truck, not a van with an internal sleeper/driver compartment.

They talk it over with the broker, and whoever makes the final decision is gone until morning, so I went down the road to the Petro for the night. We're going to hash it out in the morning. I figure they're going to see if they can get a different forklift driver to try it in the morning.

Now, myself, I think this goes in the "learn how to say no" file, but I'm interested in everybody's opinions, if this sounds like something you would do.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It has been years since my wife and I hauled freight, but your post reminds me of the few times when people tried to get bad freight onto our truck, and the liability for the shipment onto us.

No! No! No! is the correct answer to your question. The instant you put it on your van, everyone else's liability problem is solved. Same for a straight truck. No! No! No!

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They talk it over with the broker, and whoever makes the final decision is gone until morning, so I went down the road to the Petro for the night. We're going to hash it out in the morning. I figure they're going to see if they can get a different forklift driver to try it in the morning.
I'm not sure what a difference another forklift driver will do for the situation. I've turned down several loads because of weight and a few because of poor packaging or damage.

I'd like to hear the rest of the story but Paul Harvey is dead.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
I'm not sure what a difference another forklift driver will do for the situation. I've turned down several loads because of weight and a few because of poor packaging or damage.

I'd like to hear the rest of the story but Paul Harvey is dead.
Something to do with the fact that he said he couldn't slide the tote. I have the extended bumper on the back, so if he couldn't slide it, I don't think he could've even gotten it in far enough to close my doors. Anyway, it got canceled first thing in the morning. I suspect they ordered a straight truck like they should've in the first place.