Would you do this?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK your kid gets kidnapped.

You spend a lot of money on trying to find him.

He shows up 4 years later and he is alive and seems to be well.

Then a week later you and your kid are on Oprah.

I guess to me there is no way I would even want to talk to anyone outside medical professionals and the police.

I think that Oprah is doing an injustice by putting this kid and his parents on display. I feel she is chasing ratings again. I think it would have been better if she said "look I would like an interview later on when everything settles down but in the mean time seeing I have billions, here is some money and resources to help you all out".

Your thoughts?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The reality is, one of the ways people deal with stuff like this, is to talk it out. Sure, there is money to be made off the story, but not 6 months from now. It has to be now, while the story is fresh in peoples minds. How many times do you hear about the story of the little girl down the well, or the miners in PA now? Not much, but back then, they were the movie of the week, and the families got some cash.

No, that doesn't replace the lost time, the pain and suffering, but it will help them start over, and the kids will have a better future.

Doesn't make it right, but at least maybe SOMETHING positive can come out of a horrible situation.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I somewhat agree with you but talking in front of an audience on a major TV show is a lot different than more one on one or group sessions.

As for a book deal, ect.. believe me CBS, NBC, ABC, ect.. would have been the second group of people at the police department behind the parents trying to tie up the story.

I was down in the area when this happened and very happy both were found.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's quite possible the families involved are more than happy to milk their 15 minutes of fame. For some, being on TV is the be all, end all. I've heard in the past that people don't get paid to be on Oprah or any of those type of shows. They do get all expenses paid. Luxury hotel, 5 star meals, ect.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can understand the families wanting their 15 minutes of fame, but I don't understand why they would allow the child to be put on display - hasn't he been through enough? Nor do I understand the desire of people to hear the details of his captivity. I can't think of anything we ought to learn from this, beyond the fact that sometimes, abducted children aren't lost forever, and we got that from the headlines - the rest is none of our business. It does look as if Oprah was just going for the ratings - sad.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
No, no, and no!

I would not agree to appear on Oprah no matter how much cash she threw at me. This is a private family matter that doesn't need to be splashed all over the TV.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Agree with Paul. Oprah I thought had more class than this. I mean after all she appeals to us drivers on XM to TALK TO ME GIRL, talk to me over and over again.

You think they would know that over 95% of the listeners on XM 171 are Male truck drivers???

Its almost as bad as those Pro Basketball advertisments, yep were all a bunch of Boom Box listening wana be basketball players. I bet ya less than 5% of the truck drivers could care less about basketball. If they did do you not think we would hear the scroes the next day? I for one do not care for the sport anymore, about as much as I care about listening to Oprah's day time Soap Opera.

Sports and someone elses lifes mistakes just do not seem to improve the quality of my own life, go figure?

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
I think it is difficult for any one to say what they would do untill they were actually in that position. Often people say I would or would not do something, then if faced with it they find themselves in a whole different world. I sincerely hope the motivations of all involved are pure, in the end all that matters is the wellfare of the children involved in these situations. I "think" I would of let some time pass before "exposing" him to so much media. On the other hand it is thought that this preditor has probably done this in the past and if this helps to bring others forward to help put him away or to let them know it's ok to let someone know about it and get them the help they need, then I don't see it would be such a bad thing. This is a true story of someone I personally know... Not so many years ago (early 60's) a young girl goes to the police and brings charges on an adult male family member of "inapropriate behavior", when they went in front of the judge he said this was a family matter and chastized the teen girl for "airing out the family dirty laundry". Can you imagine a judge today saying something to that effect, we would be angered to no end. Sometimes, things have to be brought out front and center so others can know it's ok to bring charges, talk about and heal. This boy is going to have many years of recovering from this and I hope his parents and all other adults that touch his life does everything in their power to give him the help he needs. I find it hard to second guess or judge someones actions untill I've been in their shoes unless those actions show improper motivation. My prayers and best wishes to these two boys, their families and all the other families who still don't know where their child is.