would this be a good van?

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
thinking of buying this, its a 2008 chevy 3500, 15ft box, 6.0 v8 gas, any comments would be appreciated

Attachments

• 78139128.jpg
    78139128.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Not sure 15ft box, what is the gross vehichle weight on it? look s like it will be heavy ? would only consider it if it is under the 10,000 gvwr so no logs and no weigh stations

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure 15ft box, what is the gross vehichle weight on it? look s like it will be heavy ? would only consider it if it is under the 10,000 gvwr so no logs and no weigh stations
just made a call, your right, too heavy, thanks
Rich

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The truck looks to be a 10,000 gvw cutaway with a supreme box...no logs or scaling required, that starts at 10,001 lbs BUT, it also looks to be a heavy aluminum sided box and no "air dam" on the roof of the cab. Chances are the mileage would be in the 9-12 mpg.

There are all kinds of these doing expedite, most being used yellow penske trucks.....you can make them work, but after you load them up with a sleeper and personal stuff, chances are you will end up with less then 2500 lbs of available payload.

will it works? Yeap..Would I do use it? Nope....based on the above and then the maintainance cost of the 6 tires, larger brakes and suspention components.....

If a "cube" is what you are considering, look at the used srw 12-14 ft box units...most are of the older units are 9600 gvw , while the new chevy / gmc are 9900 gvw....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
just made a call, your right, too heavy, thanks
Rich

I have one in my fleet , 2006 GMC ,good van but terrible mpg...I bought it just to make a sleeper in the box to my driver who stay out 100% . I would not buy one again. I like the regular vans....

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for the advice, i think you are correct, im gonna get an express extended van, i just like the extra space and height in the box truck, but want to keep the running costs down..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More to think about with a unit like that. Where is your "sleeper"? Obviously it has to be in the box but how do you get to it? You have to get out in the rain/snow/etc every single time as you can't pass through between the seats. Want a drink out of your fridge? Either it's in the "sleeper" and you have to stop and get out in the snow to go get it or the fridge is up front and you have to get out of the "sleeper" every time you want something from it. Got big pieces of freight in there? How do you get past it to get to your "sleeper" in the 3/4/6/7 feet open in front of the big crates that totally block passage? Made it into your "sleeper" for the night? How do you secure/lock yourself in and the bad guys out? How do you keep a bad guy from locking you in? Lots to think about when going to a unit like that.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
More to think about with a unit like that. Where is your "sleeper"? Obviously it has to be in the box but how do you get to it? You have to get out in the rain/snow/etc every single time as you can't pass through between the seats. Want a drink out of your fridge? Either it's in the "sleeper" and you have to stop and get out in the snow to go get it or the fridge is up front and you have to get out of the "sleeper" every time you want something from it. Got big pieces of freight in there? How do you get past it to get to your "sleeper" in the 3/4/6/7 feet open in front of the big crates that totally block passage? Made it into your "sleeper" for the night? How do you secure/lock yourself in and the bad guys out? How do you keep a bad guy from locking you in? Lots to think about when going to a unit like that.

Hello Leo
Actually you cant see it in the 1st pic, but it has a sliding door in the cab to access the cargo space, here is a pic, 73's

Attachments

• 78139132.jpg
    78139132.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 27

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well ya fooled me. :) Ignore all that for that unit but hold it in reserve in case you run across one without the sliding door.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Even without the ready made sliding door, it could be done. In a cutaway cube, the back wall of the cab IS the front wall of the box. Even if it had a door, I would open it up as much as possible. You would want to make sure to leave yourself 12' and maybe an inch or two, just to be on the safe side. After figuring in the thickness of the bulkhead, you will only have about 30-32 inches or so to play with for a sleeper, which is another reason I suggest cutting into that wall in the cab. Hope you're skinny. Oh, and build that bed off the floor at least a foot or so. The floor gets cold in the winter.

Easy way to tell the GVW: The 10K models have an "H" in the vin, such 1GBH.... The 12K version has a "J" instead.