Would like to know what the largest size straight truck there is ....

Bluesgirl

Active Expediter
the largest straight truck that can be legally driven all over North America?
I'm going for my A license training in a couple of weeks.
I want to see for my self if I am able to handle the trailer stuff.
What I really want to do is get on with a transport company as an employee
and drive the largest legal straight truck that has a custom sleeper with everything
a tiny house would have. Roughly 144' sq with a washroom/shower.
Would be better if the sleeper is a touch larger (156') with pull out's...
extra rooms and a washer/dryer would be truly handy.
I don't want to pay needlessly for an apartment, when I can live nicely right in
the truck, as I want to work full-time for a transport company traveling around North America.
If there is any information that any body knows about out there in truckers world that would fit my goals nicely...
PLEASE share with me what you know or understand to know so that I can follow up.
I am not sure, but I think FedEx may have just the position I would be qualified to carry out.
I am a Canadian, with a FAST card already...just want to upgrade my license and get trained
properly driving the large rig. I have at least 10 good years left to check out this amazingly beautiful continent
~Bluesgirl

:cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon:

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The position you seek doesn't exist,not as an employee. You want a truck like that you gotta buy it.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
What you are looking for is called rv's not a straight truck. If they all had slide outs and washers and dryers noone would need a home.

I don't know of a single expedite conpany that will hire you as a company driver in a straight truck. Straight trucks are not conapny owned as the are owner operators. Also, FedEx custom critical does not hire you as an employee.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read back at least 3 years in the General, Newbies, Recruiter and Truck Talk forums. That doesn't mean every word for 3 years but do read every thread title. When a thread title sounds educational and applicable to you then read the entire thread. There are a handful of straight trucks with 150" sleepers. They cost a quarter million dollars or so and as mentioned, you buy it yourself. Most of the straight trucks you'll find that are owned by a fleet owner will have a 96" sleeper or smaller. Most will not have a bathroom. A few might have the Bentz third outside door for a porta pottie. As mentioned, your desire for a motorhome is understandable but doesn't make money for the operator so unless you can afford to buy it for yourself it isn't going to happen. Good luck.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
By the use of the word "transport", I am going to assume you live in Canada, the longest straight truck is 12.5 meters (41.0 feet) for all of Canada, generally accepted maximum length for all US states and Canada is 40 feet. About the largest sleeper you will find on a straight truck is 120-132" (10-11 feet), most are a foot or two shorter as in order to have a usable cargo box you just can't go any longer. With a big sleeper and the 40' overall length you are limited to a 16-18 box for cargo.

TS

Reactions: brokcanadian

GrumpyGrizzly

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I've currently been watching a straight truck on Craigslist that's an old Bekins Moving can that is 30' long and has a sleeper in the area right before the "grandma's attic" section of the box. Has dt466 with five speed with doubler in rear. Truck has 200k on it runs great good tires.

The 200k miles on a 20 year old moving van is a bit suspicious but, companies like Bekins don't usually run local routes so I can see where that came about. It'll take a good looking over and getting tested out by a decent mechanic for road worthiness. Right now it's selling for $5,500 and is definitely a decent price to get into an O/O Expedite role.

Only concern I have is whether it's too old to be considered by most companies for hauling their goods. Everyone says "Buy a new truck" but, compare $5,500 to $125,000 and I think you'll be making money a lot quicker, even if repairs do come up.

Any thoughts?

What do I need to get rollling an working with this rig besised the Medical Card and insurance. What CDL is required? What's that other expense I've seen talked about that's filling a blank space in my brain right now.

Would anyone ever hire me when I pull into their yard with this truck even though it looks to be in like new condition?

Reactions: brokcanadian

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Moving trucks I've seen don't have enough payload capacity they have space but most furniture isn't that heavy so their gvw isn't that high plus the floors arnt usually fork lift rated.

Reactions: xiggi

GrumpyGrizzly

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Moving trucks I've seen don't have enough payload capacity they have space but most furniture isn't that heavy so their gvw isn't that high plus the floors arnt usually fork lift rated.
Thanks for the reply tknight. having moved a few times in my military career, I did notice they do a lot of plywood boxes and I'm pretty sure that helps spread the load in the box over a larger area.

Forklifts might definitely be a problem. Would a pallet jack work for that?

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's going to be hard to find a carrier to sign on that old of a truck.
Also, is it dock high?

GrumpyGrizzly

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The problem is not repairs, but when those repairs occur. If they occur while loaded, it's a big fat hairy deal of a problem.
The requirement for fixing repairs can happen on any age of truck.

My primary question is will a dispatcher call upon someone with this old of a box truck?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That moving truck probably isn't dock high. That means 99% of companies would never consider it and if a carrier did sign it on the shippers/receivers wouldn't service it. It's way too old for 99% of companies to consider signing it on. Too much risk of a failure under load. The $5,500 part is great since it's just a cash purchase and a truck with no monthly payments is a huge plus but it's got too many strikes for expediting.

GrumpyGrizzly

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
It's going to be hard to find a carrier to sign on that old of a truck.
Also, is it dock high?
Thanks for the reply SWTexas. It looks to me to be dock height in the back. I've seen trucks like this at homes picking up furniture and boxes, then they'll take it back to the warehouse and repack it for a longer move. It has curbside doors to the box and the sleeper is in the lower front area of the box with an access door from the passengers side.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Sure pallet jacks work but what happens when the pallet weighs 5000 lbs and they want it delivered inside or even just getting that weigh on board is gonna be a sucky thing

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My primary question is will a dispatcher call upon someone with this old of a box truck?
If they'll sign you on in the first place, which is highly doubtful, then sure, dispatchers will call you for loads. But after about the third breakdown under load theyll stop calling you because of reliability issues.

20 years ago you might have gotten away with a truck like that for expediting, because the tools of the trade weren't as well honed, but a moving van like that was one of the tools discarded in the honing process. Using the right tool for the job applies here. If a carrier is adding trucks and it's between someone with a 20 year old moving van and someone with a truck designed for expediting, it's not hard to figure out which one they're gonna go with.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
the largest straight truck that can be legally driven all over North America?
I'm going for my A license training in a couple of weeks.
I want to see for my self if I am able to handle the trailer stuff.
What I really want to do is get on with a transport company as an employee
and drive the largest legal straight truck that has a custom sleeper with everything
a tiny house would have. Roughly 144' sq with a washroom/shower.
Would be better if the sleeper is a touch larger (156') with pull out's...
extra rooms and a washer/dryer would be truly handy.
I don't want to pay needlessly for an apartment, when I can live nicely right in
the truck, as I want to work full-time for a transport company traveling around North America.
If there is any information that any body knows about out there in truckers world that would fit my goals nicely...
PLEASE share with me what you know or understand to know so that I can follow up.
I am not sure, but I think FedEx may have just the position I would be qualified to carry out.
I am a Canadian, with a FAST card already...just want to upgrade my license and get trained
properly driving the large rig. I have at least 10 good years left to check out this amazingly beautiful continent
~Bluesgirl

:cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon:
so what your looking for is an rv.