Would a 16ft to 20 Ft Cube van work Expediting????

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Whoa, wait a minute.... I was under the impression that in order to drive interstate, a CDL is required for any CMV over 10K, am I wrong?

A logbook and DOT medical card are required to operate an interstate CMV over 10K#. You don't actually need a CDL until over 26K#. In Indiana we have what's called a Chauffeur's License which is similar to some states Class C CDL. If you're going to log and have the DOT physical you may as well have a CDL, IMHO.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK let's assume this is about Michigan for a moment. I have to follow the states regulations and laws, the feds laws only if they are referenced, seeing the feds don't have rights over states on licensing... yet.

Here are is the actual statute;
257.312(c) A person, before operating a single vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating under 26,001 pounds or a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating under 26,001 pounds towing a trailer or other vehicle and carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is required under 49 CFR parts 100 to 199, or designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, shall procure a group C vehicle designation and a hazardous material or passenger vehicle indorsement on his or her operator's or chauffeur's license.

The group C vehicle designation means a Class C CDL so yes you would have to have a CDL running any commercial vehicle here in the state.

OH I am also told if you get pulled over and they do a log inspection and you don't have a med card and a CDL, you are put out of service and fined for improper operations of a commercial vehicle. I doubt if someone would actually have this happen but you never know with some attitudes out there.

Now here is the catch, many insurance companies rightfully refuse to allow chauffeur's licenses in place of a valid Commercial Drivers License. For Michigan I think it is a 10 question test and no driving test or medical card is needed, which does not qualify under federal law as a valid commercial drivers license.

AND just an FYI, there are (if I remember right) five, 5, different definitions of a commercial vehicle in this state by weight, one is any vehicle used for commercial purposes which means motorcycles (and falls under 257.7 “Commercial vehicle” defined), one starts at 5000 lbs for signs and markings, one starts at 6500 lbs as defining what has to scale, one starts at 8500lbs which was the old norm for weigh stations and one that start at 26,001lbs (and falls under 257.7a “Commercial motor vehicle” defined but I am told does not supersede 257.7).

AND according to these statutes, you have to scale if you own a commercial vehicle that is over 6500lbs in this state - stupid.

Last edited: