Worst Roads

Finn777

Expert Expediter
Ok Folks let me hear your horror stories. What in your opinion is the worst road you have driven on or dread looking forward to drive on.My pick is I-44 in missouri eastbound anyway.:7

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Two sections of interstate come to mind. I-70 between St. Louis and Kansas City, or I-40 through West Memphis into eastern Arkansas. I call it the West Memphis Washboard!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Michigan. The entire state!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

G

I agree with you Lawrence, Michigan has to be the worst. The roads up here have been bad for as long as I can remember, and only seem to get worse.

Driver for Owner/Operator
6 Months with Tri State
3 yrs OTR T/T Experience
Bear Lake, Michigan
45 miles S. of Traverse City

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
How about US-35 from the West Virginia/Ohio line, down to I-64. Two lanes wide, fast truck traffic and DEAD DEER EVERYWHERE. Too bad it's the best shortcut from Ohio to I-77.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
US 35, May not be the best road, but make it enjoyable and stop in at the large Truck Stop, food is wonderfull and staff EXCELLENT. One of the best if not the best truck stop for food I have found.
Do not recall the name on the West side of 35.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I-44 from St. Louis to Joplin, MO. Dentists would be wise to locate offices at each end. There's a need to replace the fillings that vibragte loose after making that run!

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Just went down I-55 south through AR. from MO. now theres a washboard if I've ever seen or been on! Never try to drink a cup of coffee, or even a cold drink with a straw! you could end up with the straw stuck up your nose!

MO. has been working on Their strech of I-55 and it's alot better now! Hats off to ya MO.

Going through there at night is the only time to travel that part of I-55 cause you can stay in the hammer lane most of the time which is not all that bad.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Gotta agree on I-65...
I don't think there are any 2 concrete slabs that level to each other on either side of the road!!!!

Rex

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I concur. Gives me indigestion when I drive it.

I also agree about Louisville south on I-65. Stay out of that right lane.

And let's not forget the right lane on I-75 in Detroit from exit 46 to the bridge exit, 47B. And the bridge. Oh yes. The bridge.....

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
>And let's not forget the right lane on I-75 in Detroit from
>exit 46 to the bridge exit, 47B.

Chet, you'll be seeing plenty of orange barrels on the interstates in and around the metro Detroit area this year. Detroit is hosting the Super Bowl next year; Michigan Department of Transportation ("MDOT") has committed $400 million in road and bridge improvements. The majority of work is to be on Interstates 75, 96, 94, 275 -- as well as major surface streets: Woodward, Gratiot, Groesbeck, Michigan, Ford and Telegraph. Will most likely be a mess commuting through all the construction, but we gotta pretty it up for the Super Bowl! I remember living near the metro area when the Mayor spent a gob of money fixing up the city for the GOP National Convention back in 1980. <pondering> ... where has 25 years, and all my hair, gone so fast?

As a precaution for y'all traveling in and around Detroit this year, you may want to check the MDOT website for the latest in lane closures and traffic conditions.
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot

Larry Badger
Plainwell, Michigan
Future expediting company driver
Stay-at-home Dad, 2000-
25 years self-employed in landscaping business

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
new york city gwb it's hang on your hat and cross bronx and
all other road
there seem to be 2 season winter and construction

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You gotta remember in Michigan they have these 20 axle trucks hauling
160,000 pounds.. Plus those great winters, lived in Taylor MI for a couple of years. Nuff said. x(

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>You gotta remember in Michigan they have these 20 axle
>trucks hauling
>160,000 pounds.. . x(

Ontario is banning (slowly) self steering axles on multiaxle trailers. They claim that that is the cause of much of the highway damaage.
I don't know whether Michigan's multi axle combinations distribute the weight properly or whether spread axle do a better job. Ontario, Quebec and Michigan all allow high weight trailers and all have rough roads.
They all have frost heave too.
;)