Worried about income

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hi, I am a new to long haul expediting. I was expediting auto parts at the local level for an auto parts wholesaler clearing about $2400 a month with a small other side vending business. I just got into long haul expediting working for an owner operator who started me at 30 cents a mile but will jump me to 35 cents. The owner is contracted out with a small Russian company out of Cali but I am the first driver out of Michigan. I heard Detroit is very competitive to get loads out of but once you are out of Detroit it gets easier. I started last Monday but did not get my first load until Wednesday morning. They gave me a run to central Wisconsin and then another one from Minnesota back to Detroit. I did really well and they said I had great delivery times and was very efficient. I really like driving for these guys and they are nice and not all the stupid rules of bigger companies. My only thing is will I be able to make more then $600 a week? I know there are so many factors involved. I tried to give as much information as I could. My biggest fear in only working 15-20 a month and sitting for days waiting for loads and is it worth giving up a steady $600 a week local delivery job? Any input would be great. I am currently on vacation from my local delivery job trying to make the decision if I should quit it or not. Both are 1099. I drive a straight truck ford 350 hd is that helps with no cdl that can do 4 pallets. I loved expediting so far but want to make sure I don't starve in the process and I don't pay for fuel or maintenance. I hope that is enough info.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you log? Trying to figure out if your actually in a straight truck or a box van.

If it is a straight truck, you may be able to break even (maybe a little better) over your local job.

Although, you may be giving up a lot of home time to achieve this.

If not a straight, may be tough (but not impossible) driving for a owner to achieve that.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And no I don't log and no cdl

Look on the door jamb for the sticker that shows you the gvw, tire size, etc. If your gvw is over 10,000 lbs, you’re running illegally by not logging and scaling. It doesn’t matter if you’re hauling nothing but sailboat fuel, you’re still illegal, and I bet your truck owners will turn on you in a heartbeat if you get caught.

Get a medical card, and while you still can, get some paper logbooks. You really need an ELD, but showing you tried to obey the law might help you a little bit. Maybe.

If any of this confuses you, start using the search function on this site, and study hard!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mike, the $600 per week, every week is appealing to me. Is it enough ?
If not, there’s a reason to take a chance on the OTR.
How’s your home situation ?
If you get out West, and don’t return home for weeks, how will it affect your home life ?
If you get home a week AFTER a birthday?
How would a few $300 weeks affect you ?
Nobody can tell you what you’ll make. There’s too many variables. You best info would come from other drivers working for that carrier or O/O.
Good Luck.

Also, your on the road expenses will probably be higher than your local expenses.

Reactions: RoadTime

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
And no I don't log and no cdl

Look on the door jamb for the sticker that shows you the gvw, tire size, etc. If your gvw is over 10,000 lbs, you’re running illegally by not logging and scaling. It doesn’t matter if you’re hauling nothing but sailboat fuel, you’re still illegal, and I bet your truck owners will turn on you in a heartbeat if you get caught.

Get a medical card, and while you still can, get some paper logbooks. You really need an ELD, but showing you tried to obey the law might help you a little bit. Maybe.

If any of this confuses you, start using the search function on this site, and study hard!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Ok to answer more of the question you guys asked. Most of these guys are 2nd generation Russians. But anyway yes I can swing $300 a week some weeks. I am 43, house paid for and fairly financially stable with ok cash reserves. I am not rich by any means but am stable to go a year or even 2 years with a few weeks at $300. Home life I have a girlfriend who barely kisses me anymore but watches the dog and she could care less how long I am gone. No kids. A small dog and a tortoise. My total bills are maybe $800-$900 a month so yes $600 a week take home to me is fairly decent but at the same time I love traveling and am willing to take a gamble for more money over the long haul. I am not expecting $1000 a week. I know that is tough to do expediting in a small truck but if I can even average $750-$800 I would ecstatic.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like you’re ok to take the gamble.
You’re in a much better position than most newbies.

Now,just to determine if the truck is legal, weight wise.

One thing people miss. If you hit $800 three weeks in a row, then take a week at home, you still average $600.

Be careful. If the girlfriend barely kisses you now, she’s probably prepping for marriage.

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
But when I came back from my 1st run and back the owner was very happy because I did literally 1100 miles in 36 hours including all pick ups deliveries paper work etc. They thought for my 1st time that was pretty impressive. They said at the rate I am going at that I should make $4500 a month but this is the owners 1st truck and he looks like he barely finished puberty so I won't believe that crock.

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Sounds like you’re ok to take the gamble.
You’re in a much better position than most newbies.

Now,just to determine if the truck is legal, weight wise.

One thing people miss. If you hit $800 three weeks in a row, then take a week at home, you still average $600.

Be careful. If the girlfriend barely kisses you now, she’s probably prepping for marriage.

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Yes truck is under 5000 pounds. I never want to take a week off. I want to be away from my girlfriend months at a time and live a gypsy lifestyle and only shower every few days and not shave. I want to be a grimy smelly expeditor with money in the bank and be on the road so long I forget how to communicate with people. Almost like I lived in the forest for years and researchers found me living with a pack of wolves.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
GVW is not under 5000 lbs.
Look again.

If over 10,000 you’d need logbooks and scales.
A definite game changer.
Which you will not like.

Did they tell you how much weight you can load ?
Is there one tire, or two, on each side in the back ?