witch company?

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
which company?

Was thinking about going with landstar, nations express, or tristate any opinions?

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Landstar would be the largest and most financially sound of the three choices. That should be a factor considering the economic conditions we're all dealing with. Otherwise, it just depends on which company seems the best fit for you. Be sure to talk to all three.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
If you live in OH, MI, IN or IL and desire to get by the house on a somewhat more regular basis I would suggest Tri State.

Landstar is a good organization, but working with brokers can be a difficult adjustment. It definitely takes an investment of time to become a "go to" truck with their system. Much to their credit...they are honest enough to openly admit that they will load who they want to load and when they want to load them. Although I may not like hearing that...at least they are honest as opposed to other carriers who tap dance around the fact that FIFO is simply a "feel good" term and has nothing to do with reality.

Unless you live near Charlotte, NC I would probably pass on Nations Express.

I have had very good reports on the folks at All-States Express, you may want to contact them.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I talk to a friend of mine today that is with Landstar, he loves them , but he is a truck similar to Dave Hall. He also told me that he has good friends there that are solos ( dont know if you are a team or not) that have good weeks and bad weeks, but that the teams definitely do better. Again he cant stress enough how much he loves them

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What'd pilgrim say????????

The biggest of the big have all had to be bailed out. The smallest of the small have not.

Am I missing something here?? Or, is this a normal mis-conception of how tings work in real life?

Believe i'd be prioritizing with a somewhat different grading system.

Regardless, they need waayyy more info than O'O, D unit.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What'd pilgrim say????????
The biggest of the big have all had to be bailed out. The smallest of the small have not.

You're saying Landstar has been "bailed out" along with ALL the other big carriers???? Where did you come up with that? Seen any financial statements from Tri State or Nations?

Am I missing something here?? Or, is this a normal mis-conception of how tings work in real life?
Believe i'd be prioritizing with a somewhat different grading system.

Fine - if making sure you sign on with a financially sound company is a "mis-conception of how tings work in real life", go right ahead. My point was to talk to all three, try to get a feeling of which carrier is the best fit. Also see if you can, which carriers are laying off operations people and losing trucks out of their fleet as opposed to keeping them busy. Everybody's got their own grading system, but the first grade in mine is that I know my paycheck will be large enough to live on, and it won't bounce.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
He he. Yep the ones mentioned have all had problems I guess. Like everyone else. Jes cause they be big don't mean yer check won't bounce.

Jes don't sign on with the Witch company, eh P

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
You're saying Landstar has been "bailed out" along with ALL the other big carriers???? Where did you come up with that? Seen any financial statements from Tri State or Nations?

Fine - if making sure you sign on with a financially sound company is a "mis-conception of how tings work in real life", go right ahead. My point was to talk to all three, try to get a feeling of which carrier is the best fit. Also see if you can, which carriers are laying off operations people and losing trucks out of their fleet as opposed to keeping them busy. Everybody's got their own grading system, but the first grade in mine is that I know my paycheck will be large enough to live on, and it won't bounce.
Pilgrim, my check is written in scientific notation. Isn't yours?