wireless internet options

tomcar

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Who is the best provider for an air card (I think that's what they call it) for my lap top, and is there anything special I have to have to use it on my laptop? I have a compaq pressario 700. I heard that verizon was the best but I would like to know mare about it. I run all 48 and I would like to have the best coverage for the least price. Is that asking for too much?

G

I use sprint and it does ok but I have nothing to compare it to so...

Aviator

Expert Expediter
What I use

We have a subscription for flying J with their WiFi. We got in Early and it was only $99.95 for a year. In a word, it is Excellent. Good signal strength and fast (11 mb) connection. Currently it is at most of the Flying J's in the US. IN addition, they have announced that they are going to add hot spots to a lot of interstate exits that there are no flying Js also.

Here is a map:

http://www.tonservices.com/images/wifi/map.gif

Now thats all well and good, but what if you are nowhere near a Flying J? Well, truckstop.net is also offering WiFi at Pilots and other Fueling stops. I am not impressed with their service however. At least 5 times in January I have been to a place where I can get a signal, but have no way to purchase a subscription. When I go inside and ask about the cards for a one month subscription, I get blank looks, and people telling me there are modem jacks in the dining area. When I explain they have a wireless connection there, and ready, they look at me like I am nuts.

When I call the support number and explain to the tech where I am, and that I am indeed connecting to the "truckstop.net" signal, and would like a subscription, they always tell me that it is not installed where I am. Well, I am in the truck, and connection, I know damn well its installed and up. If the company can't even keep track of it's locations, well, I don't think I wanna give them any of my money.

Another nice thing I have found, is that almost no matter where I am, I can plug my external wireless antenna into the notebook, and if I drive 5 blocks, I can find an unencrypted signal to get onto. This can be anything from cities providing wireless in park areas, to businesses or homes that have wireless installed and not secured. All you need is a wifi "sniffer" like Boingo (which comes with a lot of WiFI cards). Run BOingo, and it will give you a list of all teh wireless signals it is getting. You then select one and try to connect. Usually 1/2 the time I get a sucsessful connection. Case in point. Currently I am in Addison, IL. I have stopped at a shopping center, hooked my antenna up, and got 3 wireless networks. Two of the three I can connect to. The WiFi signal I am using to send this... is free.

So, there you have it. My suggestion would be skip a cell phone company, pay the current annual fee of $199 for a year at flying J, and try your luck sniffing out signals wherever you are.

Aviator

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Costs

Forgot to add the total costs involved.

I picked up a wifi Card at a FLying J and an external antenna (I would suggest getting one). Card was about $65 and antenna was $20. You can get them cheaper at a best buy or someplace like that probably. If you do purchase from Flying J, make sure you get the SMC brand wireless card, or the extenal antenna will not connect to it if you intend on getting one of those also.

Aviator

EDITED to add the screenshot of my desktop right now using boingo so it may be a little clearer.

tomcar

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
wireless internet

Well that does give me a little more to go on. Thanks for all your help. I am an independent that is trying to keep from deadheading so much. I have access to several load boards and have had pretty good luck with them, but I have to get to a phone line to get in touch. I am trying to avoid that and would like to be on line wherever I am. You've been a great help, thanks again. Tom

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: wireless internet

Well this wireless internet thing is changing so fast my comments will probably be obsolete before I finish typeing this.We have Verison "America's Choice"plan.It will only go on line with a tri-mode phone and a data connectivity kit.these are avail at Verison stores,or in my case at Motorola.com,since I have A motorola phone.
the plan gives us 400 daytime min and unlimited night(9pm to 6am)and umlimited weekends.The speed is slow but our ISP (netzero.net)has high speed compression that makes it compare to reg dial up.Cost is $49.00 mo,to Verison,and $15.00 mo for netzero high speed.About the only place we could not connect was in east KY and west tx.I understand coverage is real spotty out west untill you get to CA.
We have also recently gone into Wi-Fi at flying J.At $199.yr its a pretty good deal.Truckstop.net has also started wireing Loves,Rip Griffins,Petro But I feel their $29.99 mo price is a bit steep. At least untill they have a lot more locations wired.

JustPassinThru

Expert Expediter
We get online with our Sprint Sanyo 8100 cell phone. We connect it to our wireless enabled laptop via a USB cable that we purchased at BestBuy for $29 and a software called "SnapDial" that we also bought at BestBuy for $29.
The hook-up is super simple, and it works as long as you have a signal on the phone - which is most of the time. Once the cable and software are purchased, there is no cost except you use your minutes from your phone plan.
The Sanyo 8100 is one of those neat little camera phones - not real expensive - that you can just snap pictures going down the road and e-mail them home with the touch of a button. So, the phone has more uses then just talking or surfing the web.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I use sprint and have no problems so far. the cost was $179.00 with $30.00 rebate, and $80.00 month unlimited and its been great. i went to verizon by my home in Binghamton,ny and the sales person had n clue on cost,covrage, etc.. so i went to sprint and i am happy. hope this helps

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> The hook-up is super simple, and it works as long as you
>have a signal on the phone - which is most of the time.
>Once the cable and software are purchased, there is no cost
>except you use your minutes from your phone plan.
Hey,

This is what we use as well and if you suscribe to the vision service, no minutes are taken from your phone plan. You can also download PCS connection from the 3g web site and use spint's dialer.

mcbride-

muleteam1

Expert Expediter
muleteam1

Have ATT wireless using a Sierra air card.(paid nothing for the air card thru ATT but I use ATT wireless for my cell) Have pretty good conectivity but some areas are in ROAM which is extra $'s above my 10meg $59.95 program.
It's nice to have the availability.I can scan documents and e-mail rather than sending faxes.I have a $100. all-in-one hp that is nice to have around.Looked at flying hook Wi-Fi but it wasn't practical for my purpose.You want to wait ?? It'll get cheaper as each year goes by.Digital is being replace with GPRS,which is what air cards are all about..good luck;)

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Aviator,

> make sure you get the SMC brand wireless card, or the extenal antenna will not connect to it <

Is this the only way you can use an antenna? With this card, I mean. I have a new Linksys Wireless-G card....You don't know of any other antenna means?

mcbride-:eek:

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Depends on the card. All come with a built in antenna, but some will allow you to remove that antenna, and attach an external one. Mine sits on top of the truck box, and extend my range by quite a bit.

Aviator

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Aviator,
Yup, I understand now. Mine does not have an opening for an antenna. It is supposed to not need one...sigh..I just bought it after reading your other posts about picking up signals at differant locations. I will have to see how it works. Supposedly, the "G" series is made to pick up signals from further distances. (As compared to the typical "B" card.) Well, I will find out I guess.

mcbride-

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,

Anyone looking for pcs connection software can download it for free from here. This works with the 8100 sanyo phone w/ vision.

http://www.3gupload.com You do have to register but downloads are free. They do ask for a donation but none is necessary.

-mcbride

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
WE use a sprint / novatel merlin 201 card. have been with sprint over a year now and wouldn't go without it. I also can use it with my jornada 720 pda . I pay $100 month unlimited useage.. they have had promo's for $80 month unlimited. My wife considers herself to be an internet widow now... I can surf from the sleeper as she drives on to the next delivery, and can be on for hours at a time. In fact we are in KY northbound I71 right now travelling at 60mph. try doing that with a WiFi !!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
> We get online with our Sprint Sanyo 8100 cell phone. We
>connect it to our wireless enabled laptop via a USB cable
>that we purchased at BestBuy for $29 and a software called
>"SnapDial" that we also bought at BestBuy for $29.
> The hook-up is super simple, and it works as long as you
>have a signal on the phone - which is most of the time.
>Once the cable and software are purchased, there is no cost
>except you use your minutes from your phone plan.
> The Sanyo 8100 is one of those neat little camera phones -
>not real expensive - that you can just snap pictures going
>down the road and e-mail them home with the touch of a
>button. So, the phone has more uses then just talking or
>surfing the web.
>

Hi Everyone!
This is my 1st post. My hubby (Nightshift)and I recently registered because we are interesting in finding out more about the expediting side of trucking. He is an OTR freight hauler now, and I'm looking to get my CDL in the next few months.
I thought I would share our experience with "Internet connections on the road"
Be very careful with Sprint, I quoted the above post because this is basically how we connected until NS had to get a new phone. We had the option for 5.00 extra a month, we could connect to the net using the minutes on the phone.
He now has the Samsung 8500. We talked to the Sprint rep at Best Buy, told him how we connected, he said no problem, gave us the USB connection. We connected to the net during the "unlimited night's and weekends" just like we did before. Then the first bill came in.
400.00+ Of course we were immediately on the phone with Sprint, and they kept telling us that his phone didn't connect the same way. We finally went to the Sprint store when we got back home (we were out on the road)and they ended up taking part of the charges off our bill. We bought the aircard at a reduced rate, and signed up for the unlimited anytime access 80.00 a month. (2 months free).
They ended up working with us, but it was an extreme pain in the fanny.
I love the aircard! It's alot faster than the connection we had with the phone. Since I'm just a "passenger" at the moment, I can relieve some of the boredom over here by cruising the net while riding down the road. :7