Wireless for laptop

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Starting the process of choosing wireless system for my laptop.

Verizon offers nationwide unlimited DSL for $79 per month with wireless card costing $49 after rebate. In areas where DSL isn’t available download speed is greatly reduced.
To date here are areas offering DSL.
 Atlanta, GA
 Austin, TX
 Baltimore, MD
 Boston, MA
 Chicago, IL
 Cincinnati, OH
 Columbus, OH
 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
 Dayton, OH
 Hartford, CT
 Houston, TX
 Jacksonville, FL
 Kansas City, MO
 Las Vegas, NV
 Los Angeles, CA
 Madison, WI
 Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL
 Milwaukee, WI
 New Haven, CT
 New Orleans, LA
 New York, NY/Newark, NJ
 Orlando, FL
 Philadelphia, PA
 Phoenix, AZ
 Pittsburgh, PA
 Providence, RI
 San Diego, CA
 St. Petersburg/West Palm Beach, FL
 Tampa, FL
 Washington, DC

I tried to find Sprints’s coverage area and their web site isn’t friendly at all, at least for me.

Anybody using these or another system have any feedback?

Thanks

JohnO

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would check out T-Mobile. $30.00 a month unlimited usage. Pretty decent coverage as well.
Davekc

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i tried verizon...had to send the card back such poor coverage...that was in october and still waiting for my refund. and yes i did return it in the 15 day window required. they are bad news!!

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Almost all Panera/St Louis Bread companies have free internet from their stores. Should be able to pickup from the parking lot. Probably dialup but maybe an inexpensive alternative to the occassional user.:)

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
WE have cingular and seem to good service most any where we are. somme pare alot faster than others but we are happy with it.

TEXAS HOKIE

Expert Expediter
I concur with the t-mobile card for the 30.00/month. In addition i'm trying their hot spot service for an additional 20.00. their hot spots include starbucks, borders and fedex/kinkos and many airports and 5 star hotels. I used to have sprint service but it cost 40.00 for 20MB. Problem with sprint is that noone could define how much time a MB would last. Imagine my surprize at my first bill. Got a sprint card for sale real cheap now.

TEXAS HOKIE

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I have the sprint card. 80 bucks a month for unlimited. It works anywhere a sprint phone works. Their coverage map actually shows less area then they cover. I have used t-mobiles, it's slower, verizons has very limited area. I would never consider switching from sprint. I've heard that sprint will be doubling the speed soon.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
I use a Sierra Air Card. It uses the 1X Data area of the Cell Phone. It works quite well in most area except out west like Montana. Along I-70, I had Access untill I got into the Mountain area's.
WIFI and Seirra Air Card operate on different protocols. I use my WIFI at Flying J and when I'm at other Trucks stop the Sirria Card comes out.
later

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for the info on the Sprint card. You're the first person who I've seen write about it. I get so upset when I haven't got a connection unless I'm at Flying J or TA. I have to go further sometimes just to be sure I'll have my WiFi access when I stop. I'm lost without the internet.

I think I'll make the leap to the card. I have Sprint phone service and I'm very satisfied with that (except the cost in Canada).

Thanks again.