Wiper control on the M2

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am told by a FL Tech that I am not alone in this problem. Almost from day one with this truck, wipers would come on for no reason. Usually after a turn signal was activated. Three switches were installed during the Warranty period.

Now that I am paying the bills I have found a new solution. Just pull out the plug beneath the turn signal, and spray both parts of the connection with Electronic Cleaner. I get mine at NAPA. I need to use it every few months.

Be shure the Ignition switch is OFF.

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Wow! We can't wait to try this. We are SICK of the wipers coming on at odd times. As you mentioned, it has been a problem from day one and we never know when they will suddenly come on. Thanks for the tip on this. There was a previous discussion on this problem a couple of years ago but we could never quite figure out the area to spray stuff for the solution.

This is why EO is so great! A common problem with a solution found by a member is shared by others! Thanks again.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What year are your trucks? Mine's an '07 and I don't have this problem. If your trucks are older, it may be worth it to see if they've changed something. Or, I may just be lucky...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder if they put a different switch in and if it can be put into my '06? Does anyone know? :confused:

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I think some are just lucky (so far) - we rented an 07 last year and it did it just like the rest. Dealers and FL know about it but do nothing and keep making the same switch.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Usually what causes it is when the contacts wear down on the turn signal. To fix, take off the turn signal switch and clean.
When I say switch, I am referring to the whole turn signal arm.
The switch contacts are in the end where it connects to the steering column.
Then put the dielectric grease on the contacts and reinstall.
If the truck is older, eventually the contacts will wear out. Then you have to buy a new turn signal with a new set of contacts. I think the replacement was over 100 dollars and we replaced it ourselves.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine started doing it with only 150,000 miles on the truck. When I take it apart it appears that the dielectric greese is burned. It is a very cloudy yellow color. I spray it down with contact cleaner until all of the yellow greese is gone. Wait for it to dry and then put new greese in. That normally last 6-8 months. I have known some who put new parts in only to have it start up again in about the same time frame. The Freightliner in N. Little Rock told me it would most likely not help to replace the part and told me how to fix it. It was the same way I had been doing it. I learned that from TeamCaffee. They posted in here on this subject a long time ago.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think some are just lucky (so far) - we rented an 07 last year and it did it just like the rest. Dealers and FL know about it but do nothing and keep making the same switch.
FYI Folks ,,2007 M-2
There is a recall on this issue,,Mine was just replace bout 2 weeks ago @ the Freightliner shop(no charge to me) along I-94 in the Romulas Mich area...Think the dealer is on or off the Rawsonville exit??(sorry I dont know exctually what city it is in) Maybe Ysp????
The mechanic told me that they are not concacting ppl and waiting untlll customer reports a proplem,,,I was in there for a front shock that blew out oil,,and happened to ask if he knew why they come on for no reason..

Heres a fast list of my warranty proplems so far with this vechile.
R/Front wheel bearing came lose,,,,2 fan clutches,,,Headlights burning dim then bright then back to dim,,,Front shocks leaking oil,,,To many air leaks to list:(,,,,Electric horn goes off with each L/turn or each bridge deck I hit..
So far the horn is only thing not fixed,,waiting on new steering column which is on back order..

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
'07 M2 here. Wipers starting acting up after dealer installed new steering column due to loose telescopic (sorry Slo-Ride, i must have got the last one in stock). I was able to fix my wipers so far by just unpluging and pluging the switch back in a few times to clean the contacts i suppose. Now if i can just figure out the parts the FL tech left off that cancels the turn signals after a turn. Tech was obviously inexperienced as he also ripped out the brass stud nuts in the strg column coversr and just slapped them back on without the screws. Nice fix for this is to pound a couple wooden dows into nut holes and use wood screws to fasten clam shell column covers together. *Dealer was located in Texarkana, TX, service started out good the first couple of visits then turrned sour.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We did the fix suggested and the turn signal/wipers are working like new again! Amazing! We have suffered with this for a couple of years! yahoo! Easy, quick fix! Thanks sooooooooo much. Our truck is an 07 also.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We did the fix suggested and the turn signal/wipers are working like new again! Amazing! We have suffered with this for a couple of years! yahoo! Easy, quick fix! Thanks sooooooooo much. Our truck is an 07 also.

You are very welcome. Sorry I didn`t post this a long lime ago. My truck is an 04, so FL is obviously doing nothing to inprove this design flaw. Looks to me like two many circuits going thought such a small connector.

Don`t forget that can of electrical cleaner can be used for other things, I have a XM radio that i move from the truck cradle to a boom box from time to time. When the boom box gets to acting up, I just spray the connectors and the box works again just fine.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
'07 M2 (sorry Slo-Ride, i must have got the last one in stock).

RETIDEPXE you must have gotten the last 1,,Do me a favor ,,next time ya head to the parts store,,give me a heads up please...
Don't mean to drag a old thread out of the grave here but I learned something and wanted to pass it on..Pushing 8 weeks now waiting on this steering column,,I finally contacted F/liner Corp office this morning.
Any time a Non-Stocking part is ordered it can not be ordered thru the normal channels as this dealer did..F/liner system wont recognize the order and it will just sit in the system idle..
It needs to be ordered thru the critical or expite parts system..
Corp stated the parts ppl should have known this???
If your having trouble getting a Non-stocking item you need to call..
1-800-837-7367 (1800-flt-help) ext 9
you also will need what they call a Paragon # (from parts dept)
The actual part number...
work order # if a shop is doing the work..

Maybe 15 min on the phone with this guy this morning and he found 6,,,4 in Canada and 2 in the states..
They are Expediting it tonight out of Wisconsin,,(suppose to)so 1 of you CC people get your rest:D