winter sleeper accessories

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I just received the iowa 80 truck stop magazine that I somehow got signed up for when I was there. But the magazine is of truck parts and accessories and i was just looking through it and came to the in cab section and came across a 12 volt bunk warmer!!!. Its pretty much a pad that you lay across your bunk, bed and plug into the 12 volt outlet and it warms up to a certain degree to keep a comfortable level warm throughout the night. It was fairly cheap too at 69.99 . I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or do any of you have one or used one before?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard of it--- saw one at a truck stop in Monee, Illinois if I remember right-- last winter. Haven't seen it since but I've been looking for it. Like most 12-volt stuff it probably takes forever to generate almost no heat, but it still might be worth a try.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had one years ago. You first learn that you cannot keep it on all night. You are supposed to turn it on while the truck is running then shut it off when the truck is shut down.
The idea is that the bunk will stay toasty all night. BUNK!! it didn`t for me.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of the problem is that you can't pull the kind of power you'd need to pull with the engine off. Heating coils take an enormous amount of power, way more than you'll get from a 12-volt outlet. If you have a "house" battery bank you can pull more power, but if you're pulling from the main batteries you have to be able to start in the morning.

About heating it while the engine runs and then shutting it off/unplugging it when you shut off the engine---- you just know this thing isn't going to maintain warmth that long. There aren't many things that do keep heat for long, certain bricks come to mind but I doubt that you could use them in a bunk.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I just received the iowa 80 truck stop magazine that I somehow got signed up for when I was there. But the magazine is of truck parts and accessories and i was just looking through it and came to the in cab section and came across a 12 volt bunk warmer!!!. Its pretty much a pad that you lay across your bunk, bed and plug into the 12 volt outlet and it warms up to a certain degree to keep a comfortable level warm throughout the night. It was fairly cheap too at 69.99 . I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or do any of you have one or used one before?

I have a 110v version...best thing i ever bought for the truck...cant get the dog out of the bed though...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
The way this one was advertised was that you could run it all night,I definitely wouldn't run it off the trucks batteries,But even if you didn't have the extra marine battery hook up say a hour or 2 before you got to your stop for the night might make a world of warmth and comfort while you wined down for the night. And even if you got it just for that reason i think it would be a good idea for it being a fairly reasonable price.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 110v version...best thing i ever bought for the truck...cant get the dog out of the bed though...

You read my thoughts, was just about to search for that. Whats the brand and pricing?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are the more expensive ones between $70-$100, and there are the $20-$30 fleet electric blankets. The cheap ones draw the same amps all the time. The expensive ones will draw 5-6 amps, and then once the thermostat kicks in it'll drop to 1-3 amps per hour on the average.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are the more expensive ones between $70-$100, and there are the $20-$30 fleet electric blankets. The cheap ones draw the same amps all the time. The expensive ones will draw 5-6 amps, d then once the thermostat kicks in it'll drop to 1-3 amps per hour on the average.

On average will a 12 volt draw less than a 120 or does it matter more on other factors?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Two identical blankets (or lights or any appliance) except one is a 120-volt version and the other is a 12-volt version, the 12-volt version will draw less because of not having that 10% lost in the inverter.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks i have often had that question.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You read my thoughts, was just about to search for that. Whats the brand and pricing?

??? Bought it @ a garage sale this summer for $2 ...having my generator going anyway for my cpap..so being 110v works great for me..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
??? Bought it @ a garage sale this summer for $2 ...having my generator going anyway for my cpap..so being 110v works great for me..

Sweet deal!

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Sweet deal!

I thought it was a regular 110 blanket...got it home and realized it was a fitted electric sheet for a twin bed...:D

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter

that's awesome 2 bones. That's a score.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I use a regular 120 v electric blankie hot and toasty uses 200 watts but you need to buy an old style one with the mechanical thermostat as the new electronic ones hate inverters my inverter nice as it has a digital readout of amps watts and volts it connected to 2 deep cycle gel cell batteries with a charging relay for when main engine is running disconnects when off so not to run down starting batteries I can get about 48 hrs run time before inverter rebels and shuts down