Window van

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all!

I asked this question about a month ago in the Ask the Recruiter forum, but didn't get any replies, so I'll ask here.

"I am considering getting into expediting. ... I have ... a 1999 Dodge B3500 van ... in very good shape. However, it has a couple minor problems: one is that the body has a couple minor dents/dings from use in Manhattan, but more importantly, it was built as a passenger van, so it has windows all around. Would such a vehicle be acceptable, or would I need to buy a solid-sided van?"

So, how's about it? I know the age of the van may work against it, but my major question is the windows. I would like to use this van to start out with as opposed to buying another vehicle and not knowing what to expect. Would removing the non-opening windows (the rear two on each side), and replacing them with steel inserts be acceptable? This would keep prying eyes away from the last 96" of the cargo area, which would be almost all the space available in a B-unit anyway.

The answer to this question may help me decide whether to get into expediting now, or wait a few years. I still need to get my CDL, and I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of money on both CDL training and a new truck. I figure I can get a Class C CDL without a lot of expense, hit the road and start setting money aside to upgrade both truck and self. OTOH, I could go to a company that offers Class A CDL training, and do a few years OTR before turning to expediting.

Input, please!! :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Several expedite carriers will lease a van such as yours, and several will not. Expedite carriers typically require an initial leased van to be newer than 5-6 years since first purchase.

Some of the expedite carriers will lease you on without a CDL because a CDL is not generally required unless you need a Hazardous materials endorsement. You will have better oppotunities to sign onto this business by getting a CDL, it's not that difficult and it's a good first step to demonstrating your professionalism as a commercial driver.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to get to the Mid America Truck Show in Louisville, KY in a couple of weeks and talk to any number of carriers and drivers about your intentions. A dozen or mors company recruiters and even more drivers and EO members will give you valubale answers for your questions about expediting.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>You will have better oppotunities to sign onto this business by getting a CDL, it's not that difficult and it's a good first step to demonstrating your professionalism as a commercial driver.<

That's what I figured; add Haz and Pass, and that would be a good start towards getting experience and maybe some help with school for higher classes.

>Your best bet, in my opinion, is to get to the Mid America
>Truck Show in Louisville, KY in a couple of weeks<

I'd love to, but I doubt I'll make it. I have to work all day Thursday, and would be on the road all day Friday coming from NYC. That would leave just Saturday, so I probably wouldn't accomplish much before another 700-mile trip home :( . Maybe I'll try some of the smaller expedite-specific events that seem to pop up in NE Ohio....

Thanks for your reply! :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think you'll find the age to be a problem with more carriers than the windows. Most I've heard of have a limit of 5 model years old when signing on. Once you are on most will let you run something older provided it passes inspection each year. I'm not positive but I believe Fedex enforces the 5 year rule and you have to buy a new van or go elsewhere. I've seen a few window vans out on the road. The only way to be certain is to call the carrier(s) you want to run for and talk to them directly. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.