Willy’s Jeep

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Want proof the Willy’s Jeep - the original military-spec off-roader -- was a work of engineering genius?

Watch eight soldiers drive up, hop out, tear one apart, put it back together and drive away in four minutes."

Happened in Halifax , Canada

[youtube]lgwF8mdQwlw[/youtube]

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Note the severely droopy muffler-- it was probably missing half or more of its bolts, and the rest were pre-loosened. One bump, and it likely would've fallen to pieces.

An impressive bit of teamwork regardless.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was entertained by it. It reminded me of the stories I heard about what they did in the field to keep them running.

I've got a book somewhere in my collection that describes the organization in the army that put these things together during the war and how they actually did the work, it wasn't as easy as it looked on the video nor was it safe.

It is amazing that it was a simple machine but it wasn't willys who designed it, the jeep was designed by American Bantam but handed to both Willys and Ford to make before the war.

milpig

Expert Expediter
Note the severely droopy muffler-- it was probably missing half or more of its bolts, and the rest were pre-loosened. One bump, and it likely would've fallen to pieces.

An impressive bit of teamwork regardless.

I am not sure it could have gone far with no coolant and the brakes not connected. It is impressive for a bunch of Canadians though ;)