Cargo Van Will we be able to work through Coronavirus?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm about to head to West Virginia. I'd have more to worry about considering I'm crossing the border

I doubt bill collectors care about coronavirus, give us money or else

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solar

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no problems staying out. Have freight will travel.

Not sure if they've simply overlooked our population or choose to disregard us as usual. Truckers could possibly spread this virus like wildfire.

1. We all know what excellent hygiene habits exist in and around truck stops.
2. We cover serious mileage/geography in relatively short periods of time.
3. Most truckers don't have health insurance and may be reluctant to get milder symptoms checked out.

I guess one positive factor is that, for the most part, we stay confined in our vehicles.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess one positive factor is that, for the most part, we stay confined in our vehicles.
Exactly! My carrier sent out the following e-mail. I thought, sure customers can ask me these questions and for the most part I will answer honestly. Then I though about it. On any given day I may come in direct contact with maybe a dozen people. Go to a pick up and may deal with a guard, a shipping clerk and a forklift driver. Delivering the same thing. In between, a cashier or two and possibly another driver. That's it. The employees at a shipper/consignee interact with each other at work and during breaks. Deal with multiple truck drivers. Go home and are in close contact with family members who also came in contact with many other people at schools, work etc. I'm the one that should be asking the following questions of the customers I serve. Oh, I forgot I'm but a lowly van driver and am expendable.
Valued Contractor,
As our customers implement efforts to limit exposure to the coronavirus (COVID-19), some have indicated that they will soon begin asking screening questions to all visitors to their facilities.

These questions may include:
Have you recently traveled to any of the countries/regions listed as “elevated risk” of infection?
  • These locations include China, Iran, South Korea and Italy.
  • Have you been in close contact with anyone in the last 14 days confirmed to have or suspected of having the coronavirus?
  • Have you experienced any symptoms such as a new cough or shortness of breath in the past 14 days?
We ask that all our contractors take a few moments to assist customers with their measures intended to limit exposure and protect those at their facility.

Also, if you are refused entry to any customer facility, please immediately contact Operations at

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did get those questions today, in a slightly different form. I hate my neighbors, have no friends, and prefer no people in any services I use.

That said: I picked up freight from another driver, bought a coffee, had an issue with customs (forcing me to go in and wait with 4 others plus the agent) used 2 different diesel pumps, used 2 different washrooms, spoke to a guard, driver, and shipper...amazing how that adds up. That's 10 people on one delivery.

Here at home, 4 kids and 2 adults, so everything is out the window. School this week, shopping etc.

School is now cancelled in the province until at least April.

I suppose if I draw the multiple stop delivery, I could self isolate in my van and sleep...for somebody who likes solitude, I'm doing a really bad job of it

Edit: 12 people, I forgot the 2 window border agents. And how many drivers did they pass on a shift? How many people did those drivers see recently and how many did those people see in their workday?

Starting to understand the word pandemic

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Not sure if they've simply overlooked our population or choose to disregard us as usual. Truckers could possibly spread this virus like wildfire.

1. We all know what excellent hygiene habits exist in and around truck stops.
2. We cover serious mileage/geography in relatively short periods of time.
3. Most truckers don't have health insurance and may be reluctant to get milder symptoms checked out.

Funny you should mention, just turned on the phone this morning and this was the first thing that popped up
Screenshot_20200314-064902.png

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This outbreak is going to prove two things, among many:

1. We should make the 10M-15M undocumented folks in this country citizens. Right wing zealots like to believe one day we'll have mass deportations of these people. It's not gonna happen. In the mean time, they are not insured and are reluctant to seek medical attention. The Republican party needs to get off the schneid and finally resolve this issue.

2. National healthcare is a good idea. Too many people are not insured or under-insured. Folks that believe the cost for that is too high should do the math by the time this is over.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
This outbreak is going to prove two things, among many:

1. We should make the 10M-15M undocumented folks in this country citizens. Right wing zealots like to believe one day we'll have mass deportations of these people. It's not gonna happen. In the mean time, they are not insured and are reluctant to seek medical attention. The Republican party needs to get off the schneid and finally resolve this issue.

2. National healthcare is a good idea. Too many people are not insured or under-insured. Folks that believe the cost for that is too high should do the math by the time this is over.
Yup! I was just reading an article (you probably read the same thing) as to why this could be so much worse here than in other countries - and your 2 points were their two points.

I'll add my own third point. As a nation we are an arrogant people. Millions believe that there opinions & actions are all that matters so even if sick the won't "self isolate". Americans won't sing from balconies, they'll call their lawyers to sue somebody because they couldn't get what they want!

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup! I was just reading an article (you probably read the same thing) as to why this could be so much worse here than in other countries - and your 2 points were their two points.

I'll add my own third point. As a nation we are an arrogant people. Millions believe that there opinions & actions are all that matters so even if sick the won't "self isolate". Americans won't sing from balconies, they'll call their lawyers to sue somebody because they couldn't get what they want!

Ha! I should become a columnist. I came up with those thoughts this morning as I was walking through Home Depot.

I'll agree with your third point, although I'll refine it a bit ...

The only way the US is going to make real strides towards beating coronavirus is by everyone caring for each other and doing what's right for the common good! For people under, for sake of argument let's say 60 yrs old, they aren't in serious danger. They could get sick, transmit the virus .. but they're probably not going to die. Much more serious for the older demographic. We are an individualistic society. When is the last time we all sacrificed for each other, really sacrificed. This will require us to be diligent with our behavior/habits for the common good. Italians that are notorious for cutting lines, disobeying traffic laws, having contempt for rules/regulations in general .. have fallen in line. They should be commended.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody catch on Fox News that the House passed a relief bill? Yeah, me neither!

Even in the most dire of situations Trump was still looking out for big business rather than looking out for the common good! Payroll tax cut my ass ...

Free coronavirus testing for everyone in the US; including the uninsured! Paid emergency leave was addressed. I'm not playing politics but which party do we have to thank for this? It's incredulous how poor to middle class white folks get crapped on by Repulicans and they simply go along.

My wife works for a large media company. They sent out an email saying 2 weeks of emergency paid leave is available if needed. It will not affect attendance.

Reactions: Ragman

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have a federal aid program announced. Wonder where that 20 billion will go; it appears, to businesses friendly with gov

(Americans, we have ten percent of your population so it's akin to a 200 billion aid package for comparison)

Government, if I'm wrong, contact me and I'll send you my address for the check

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
We have a federal aid program announced. Wonder where that 20 billion will go; it appears, to businesses friendly with gov

(Americans, we have ten percent of your population so it's akin to a 200 billion aid package for comparison)

Government, if I'm wrong, contact me and I'll send you my address for the check

Like the Farm bailout it will (probably) go to the larger corporations with the intent that it will help them recover the losses of paid sick leave - yeah, right! And they are already working an a bailout for the travel industry. At least they will finally do something for independent truckers too:
www.urskrewed.com will take to the form for assistance