will this van work out to start

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
IMHO I'd say at least a 4.8 small 8. But if yours is paid for and at least a 2500 you might as well start with it. But it will struggle with heavier payloads.

tjackson

Rookie Expediter
its a 2007 in really good shape its paid off I repo equipment from customers for time warner cable right now just wanting to try something different. I guess I could sell it and get a v8

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
its a 2007 in really good shape its paid off I repo equipment from customers for time warner cable right now just wanting to try something different. I guess I could sell it and get a v8

I'm thinking the engine size won't bother you too much for a while, but-- what series is your van? Is it a 1500, 2500 or 3500? That's important, a 1500 or a lightweight 2500 might not be able to handle the heavier van loads. I have a heavy 2500-- GVWR on the door sticker is 8600 lbs-- and that allows close to 3,000 lbs payload. That makes a difference.

I note that the van you have now is paid for. Run this for a while and see if this business is for you before trading in on a larger vehicle/v8 engine. Taking payments is no fun if you're not sure you can make enough and if you maybe end up not liking this type of work anyway.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any van will do if you will do.

In other words, you have a paid off vehicle, it runs good and as long as you dont exeed the max gross vehical weight run it. Im running a 2000 2500 3/4 ton with 210,000 on the clock far from premo shape but its a safe, solid, paid for, working van.

If anyone starts telling you to buy equipment, somthing like this should come to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mBS0OWGUidc

Bob Wolf

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, as per the PMs last night, run it. Then decide.
He's got a paid off 1500 series.
Can probably easily haul 75% of the loads I've hauled in my extended 2500.
Easily.

Gotta go now. Picking up a 100# load to MI.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He's got a paid off 1500 series.
Can probably easily haul 75% of the loads I've hauled in my extended 2500.
Easily.

A 1500 series will severely limit his choice of carriers. Most carriers usually require a minimum of a 2000 pound legal load capacity. Can't get that in a 1500.

I'm on record with my carrier for 2340 pounds with some built in wiggle room. About 90% of my loads are under 2000 though.

tjackson

Rookie Expediter
I got on with a company In Cinncinati oh as a couier. Now im expediting for them is this good or bad my first load from home I get $1 a mile with fuel surcharge. From then on out its .85 cents a mile no fuel surcharge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
85cpm all in isn't great by any means but it isn't much worse than some of the carriers that are paying 70cpm plus fuel. Until the next shoe drops Fedex is paying 80cpm plus fuel which is currently about 18cpm. Whether your situation is good or not would partly depend on how heavy a foot you have.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
.80 plus .18 looks much better than .85.
Of course available work,required deductions play in.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may be reading too much into post 11. My take on this is he is doing the out and back thing. Outbound loaded he gets .85 and current fsc which gives him $1.00/loaded mile. He returns empty at .85/mile. If this is the case then he is knocking down .925 for all miles. Pretty good for a paid for 1500 with a V-6 and he is probably home most nights.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I may be reading too much into post 11. My take on this is he is doing the out and back thing. Outbound loaded he gets .85 and current fsc which gives him $1.00/loaded mile. He returns empty at .85/mile. If this is the case then he is knocking down .925 for all miles. Pretty good for a paid for 1500 with a V-6 and he is probably home most nights.

That's not the way I read it.
If that's the case, probably a pretty good gig. I would think many here would jump at that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not reading paid trip home empty either but if moots right then heck yes go for it.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

CintVan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I understand he gets 1.00 per mile out of Cincinnati say to South Carolina....on the load if any he picks up and returns with he gets .85 per loaded mile