Will such set up attract attention of DOT?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
MNystates Ohio included require you to have a Puco number and pay for this privilege to move household goods you must provide the proper commercial credentials to obtain this and file insurance forms as well as register with the dot

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interferes with his business model, that pesky DOT thing. He's not competing with any of us, so...he asked for an opinion and got it :p

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interferes with his business model, that pesky DOT thing. He's not competing with any of us, so...he asked for an opinion and got it :p
Sure did, didn't he?

Mr. OP, this isn't some (gosh darn) game. This is business, for most of us our very livelihood. Sure, it's expensive, but doing things the right way is much better in the long run. I enjoy the feeling of knowing that I can do my job safely.

In a van like mine, the rules are a lot more lenient. I don't have to do a pretrip inspection at all, but I do just about every day. Technically, I could get away with having my van inspected only once a year, and run around with lights out for weeks at a time until some Barney somewhere pulls me over. I don't play like that, tho. If you do, you're a disgrace.

Don't come here looking for empathy. I could argue that I need more than you do, but I don't and won't. Safety is a huge issue on the road; you need to either be part of the solution, or take your problem somewhere else.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've played Russian Roulette 83 times so far. Or maybe, I've jumped off the roof 113 times without breaking my leg. The response to your questions isn't if, it's when. Eventually the bell will sound and with it enough fines and headaches to wipe out at least a few dozen of the loads you've carried if not more. Do things the right way. Long term it's always better.

oNdAnSONdE

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question for all - Why do you believe the bus and trailer shown on picture to be unsafe? Is it too much trailer for the truck? Besides the potential DOT fines, what exactly do you all mean when you say "safety"?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're asking the question, you haven't looked up the specs for that chassis. Or you are asking why you got a negative reaction...

Mostly the negatives are from people who invest a lot of money to be legal. There is no way to make that combination legal.

But from a mechanical standpoint...ignoring the law for now...

That bus has a GVWR of 14,000 stated by you. That is the safe weight including the weight of the bus. It needs to be scaled fully fueled and with all the equipment normally used for your work, and obviously you and any helpers in it...subtract that from 14000 and that's the number that matters.

Include the trailer and what you need is the GCWR that would include the loaded truck + loaded trailer, that's how much the bus can carry total. Being a bus, it's not designed with freight in mind. I know in my diesel ford, cargo van, the 40' camping trailer I wanted to buy put me over my GCWR meaning I didn't have enough brakes or suspension for that combo (and it was illegal)

If turtle doesn't beat me to it, I'll try and find the GCWR for a bus like that and post back. But basically it's not enough truck for the load. Or trailer...most trailers sold as RV'S are close to overloaded before you even put your stuff in it.

(And this is very basic we're not even into tongue weight hitch types or per axle weight yet)

oNdAnSONdE

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't worry people, I am really not competing with any of you here... I have a different niche.

brokcanadian, let me educate you a bit here.
Only GVWR matter from the legal standpoint. Truck and trailer each have their own brakes rated for their respective GVWR. So as long as you don't overload them individually you are good.
The GCWR is merely a recommendation by the manufacturer for towing performance, engine/trans cooling limits, etc. As a matter of fact, the GM brochure for cutaway vans shows "--" in the GCWR column.

I very well know my chassis. It doesn't matter if it's a bus or box truck or anything else - it's the same cutaway chassis rated identically. Side entrance works for my freight, as I don't care about pallets. Dry weight for the bus - 9500 lbs, for trailer (it's gutted, all this extra weight is gone) is around 7k lbs. So I have around 10k lbs worth of payload.

Hitch types? Class 4 hitch with W/D rated up to 14,000 lbs.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah, so you've thought it out. Excuse me while I mount an air compressor in my Sprinter and hitch on a dolly and 53' trailer, I know the brakes on the 53' are rated for it. Freight opportunities abound!

Actually when I think about it, what's the use of a 5 ton? That combination can carry 5 tons without the hassle of the scales! And looking like a private individual out for a camping trip, genius!

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't worry people, I am really not competing with any of you here... I have a different niche.

brokcanadian, let me educate you a bit here.
Only GVWR matter from the legal standpoint. Truck and trailer each have their own brakes rated for their respective GVWR. So as long as you don't overload them individually you are good.
The GCWR is merely a recommendation by the manufacturer for towing performance, engine/trans cooling limits, etc. As a matter of fact, the GM brochure for cutaway vans shows "--" in the GCWR column.

I very well know my chassis. It doesn't matter if it's a bus or box truck or anything else - it's the same cutaway chassis rated identically. Side entrance works for my freight, as I don't care about pallets. Dry weight for the bus - 9500 lbs, for trailer (it's gutted, all this extra weight is gone) is around 7k lbs. So I have around 10k lbs worth of payload.

Hitch types? Class 4 hitch with W/D rated up to 14,000 lbs.

If your not competing with us, then you don't belong here, you will never get the answers you seek.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, can't resist. I'm at home and bored with everyone asleep.

GMC 4500 chassis GCWR 20,000 lbs (2008 MY). Your dry weight (no fuel oil or fluids) is 9500. Taking as it is written, your trailer weight is 7000 lbs empty so the combo is 16,500 without any fuel, fluids, or freight. Leaving 3500 available (with no driver, fuel, fluids, or freight) before GCWR, which doesn't matter because the maximum weight the vehicle was designed for is not a legal thing (like that over 14,000 GVW).

You don't forsee any extra maintenance, wear and tear, fuel consumption, or handling problems putting 10,000 lbs on top of that 16,500 (plus fuel, oil, fluids, straps, you, and anything else you throw in there? Oh, it doesn't matter as long as you don't overload each individual unit. And the brochure shows "--" for GCWR meaning unlimited, perhaps?

Dual rear wheels = DOT attention, no trailer necessary, so to your original question...dude are you insane

Last edited:

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You say that you are not competing with anyone here, but unless you are not charging for your "services", you are competing. Do you even know what we haul? Just about anything and everything.
If you are "For Hire" , you are competing.
If you think that set up is a good idea, you will most likely not be competing for long though.
Good luck to you and to those that have to share the road with you.