Will outfitting a Sprinter hurt load oportunities?

brownie128

Expert Expediter
As someone who is intrested in becoming an O/O with a Sprinter one question comes to mind? Does either paying to have one outfitted with bunk, bulkhead, and other "creature comforts", or doing it yourself limit possible revenue from loads that might fit only if there was full access to all of space in the 158" wheeel base unit. Or are you able to get pretty much of what would be offered to you as a Sprinter O/O with the reduced space if you keep that magical 9'(108")everyone seems to reference space behind a bulk head open? If it is an issue, should one consider only itmes that can either be folded back or moved up front on or about the front passenger seat? Or for that matter since I will always be a single as crazy as it may seem consider removing the passenger seat for personal storage if needed to use all of the rear space?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: Will outfitting a Sprinter hurt load oportunit

I met a very nice driver for Express-1 who had a Sprinter with the front seat removed. He had it fixed up with a good size refrigerator and an office system built in above that. For solo drivers who would never never never have a passenger either riding along for a few days or when running around while at home it makes sense to use that space more efficiently.

As far as build out goes it's almost guaranteed you will miss a load or two now and then. I drive a D unit. One of my loads was 5 rolls of filter material. Total weight was about 150 pounds. I was the only unit around so I got it. The rolls were 12' long so only a Sprinter van could have taken the load and only with no obstruction.

Check the archives for a thread, I think it's by dieseldoctor, showing a really cool build out with a bed that lowers from the ceiling. They can sleep even under load. There are other threads that show very creative home buildouts that maximize space utilization. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

As long as you maintain the same load capacity as the van had when you signed the lease,there should be no problem. Your company records this load capability,and will expect you to adhere to it.

The only other thing to watch is any changes the DOT may deem unsafe.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I thought I would have to build a complete movable bulkhead to use the space in a sprinter, but when I ended up getting my GMC CV, it dawned on me that I need only be concern with between the wheel wells when it comes to a load.

So to add to my home away from home, I am in the process of simulating an interior of Terry and Rene’s van. It has a removable center section and doors that swing forward to open the space up. It won’t look as good as theirs, but I will have a removable bunk that I can haul a load the length of my van’s cargo area. Beleive I am envious of the D unit drivers who can just crawl back to thier bunks to rest, try sitting for three hours at a time in the front seat.

I have also taken out my front passenger seat, don’t want riders anyway, Wife would want to stop at ever rest stop and the dogs would bark all the time. The usable space in the cab area tripled and now has a container for my food, one for my personal stuff and my library where the seat used to be. I will have a platform that will go fomr the end of the cab area to just undet the dash so I can put my duffle bag, air mattress and other stuff that was stored in the bunk area when I take a big load. Under the platform I will have my frig and other items I mentioned.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Your setup sounds similar to what the Sprinter driver did with his passenger seat area. It really opens up a large volume of usable space for the solo operator. I was looking at the Aerocell van and thinking it would be a good platform as well. I believe it's over a foot wider inside than the Sprinter so you could have some serious living quarters and still leave the center aisle open for freight. Congratulations on being innovative enough to really make a nice user friendly vehicle.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.