wieght problems

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
i have a truck that can do total weight of about 13,000 lbs what is the cut off point that experienced drivers will take, and .. most important will the company honor your limitations i know u cant go over the weight obviously but practically??

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The company goes by the scale ticket you provide at orientation. They can offer anything up to the amount you can scale. I've been offered and taken one job that put me within 100 pounds of max. Most offers are far less than that, usually no more than half of what I could carry. I did get one offer that was several hundred pounds over my limit and refused it. I called and told them in no uncertain terms I wouldn't accept a refusal marked against me for that one either although they did mark it that way at first. The main thing is to do what you are comfortable with and if that means turning one down once in a while that's what you need to do. Only you have the right to say what will and won't go on your truck.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If my truck's top limit for legal payload is 13,000 pounds, that would be the most i'd accept. No point in running illegal since you're the one that gets stuck with the fine if imposed. The violation goes on YOUR record, not the shippers. Also, the payload limits exist for a reason. It's unsafe to yourself and othersto run an overloaded truck.

If your carrier limit for a D load is 13,000 pound (as it is for FedEx CC), but your straight truck can legally carry more, then it's up to you if you want to carry the extra weight up to the legal limit. You might be able to negotiate a higher pay rate for exceeding the D-load weight while still hauling legal weight higher than 13,000 lbs. Or, you might decide it's no big deal to haul some extra pounds over the D-unit limit for D-unit pay and that the run is worth it as is.

The D-unit truck we're currently driving can legally carry 13,000 lbs (and just a few pounds more). It is lift-axle equipped. Twice in the last few days, we've been dispatched on loads that were quoted at around 12,800 lbs. Such offers send up immediate red flags to us, indicating that we need to be cautious the actual weight that goes on the truck. Shippers often estimate weights when seeking a truck. When the weight is that close to our legal limit, we know to be careful.

At each dock, I pressed the shipper about his or her confidence in the weight figure on the paperwork. It turned out that our caution was justified.

In one case, the fork lift driver, frustrated because he wanted to leave for the day, went inside and asked someone in the office to provide exact weights for each item being loaded, plus the weight of the skids and crating material. It turned out that for the load to come in under 13,000 lbs, two 55 gallon drums had to be left behind.

In the other case, the paperwork said the weight was 13,600 lbs. I told the shipper we could not carry that much and called dispatch. The party paying for the load was different than the shipper. Dispatch said the party did not want to split the shipment between two runs with our truck (something we would have gladly done on this very lucrative load) or split the shipment between two trucks. The party insisted the entire load must be shipped and it had to be shipped now.

Dispatch told us to stand by. We waited for an hour and low and behold, the party decided we could make the run and do it with legal weight! (There are times when dispatch really comes through). A second FedEx CC truck was then dispatched to take the remaining skids. We were fully paid for the load, as was the second truck.

We later learned from the consignee that the party in question has a hard time getting the weights right on the loads. In time they'll learn, that if they want the special services we provide, they'll have to get the weights correct and pay the freight, so to speak.

Had the party stuck to his guns and insisted the shipment all go in one truck and go that day, FedEx would have lost the load, since no E-unit was available in the area on short notice. While not preferable, it's a situation we would have accepted. It is simply not an option for us to drive an illegally-overweight truck. Forfieting the load, even one just 600 lbs over limit, would be the lesser of two evils.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Leo is right on.

If you take something that's close to your limit, say... 11,000+, hit the first truckstop that has a scale and weigh it! Even though you're under, it takes time before you learn how your axels hold the weight. If you're over on either axel, take it back to the shipper and have them shift the load so you're legal. When in doubt, ask the shipper to load you so you're legal. If he's wrong, he can't say anything when you bring it back for him to move.

One other thing... don't trust bills of lading. Either they'll try to put on extra, or they just didn't get the weight right. If this happens, and you're over your limit, talk to dispatch. You can give them the option of paying your overweight tickets, or taking the freight off and giving you a dry run.

I'll add something to Ateam's good advice. Being overweight is not a moving violation. But if you get plenty of them, it puts up a red flag at the scales. In the case of him being 600# over, I would've given the option to dispatch that they pay any overweight tickets, because the company would usually rather eat it than lose a load. And, yes... if it's over 13,000, ask them to give you an E rate. Just my opinion.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It is not so much the total weight as much as it is per axle. You must scale at a truck stop IMM. when you are with in two thousand lbs of the limit. Their is a better than guarnateed chance you will be over on your steers or drives. Go through VA weighing over on your drives and under on your steers because you (THOUGHT) will only buy yourself a fine.

Each state is different also know where your running and have in your truck the Rand McNally Truckers version and it shows every states limits. I had to refere to this two weeks ago tommorow from Detroit to CO. the only state I would have been over in was MI. Scaled anyway and found I had 300 spare on Steers and about 900 rears thus Doc Rushings Educational School on Teeter Taughters worked and some darn good luck on my positioning the load. Actually a combo of both.

Fuel milage sucked on this load!!!!

For all reading this you can probably send Doc Rushing a note and he was more than helpfull describing this theory to me in a four page letter that I still have in my truck. It is the best thing next to having your own scale.

PS do not forget about how much fuel you have also.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
98.56783% of the time if you are within 100 # of your gross you will not get it loaded right the first two times. And I would love to get that formula.