why???

denny2010

Expert Expediter
why do the drivers have to carry workers insurance? also im looking into own health insurance plans for wife and i any help with that also...thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why?

Because it is a state requirement. The states put that requirement in effect because people would get hurt at the job and then not be able to pay the medical bills or go on welfare. It is cheaper to pay the premium then to try to get out of it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Take my word for it. I got injured while unloading in 06, and had to have two surgery's to fix it. Was on my back for almost a year. My insurance paid everything including my down time. I also have Aflac, it paid all my bills. I was 100% taken care of because of it. Until that happened I could not see paying out for all that insurance. If you get hurt you will thank yourself for getting it.
One more thing, Watch out for yard drivers, they will run over you and not look back.:cool:

denny2010

Expert Expediter
thanks and i know about having insurance compared to not.was just curoius. just waiting to start my new career. seems like its not going to start..

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
thanks and i know about having insurance compared to not.was just curoius. just waiting to start my new career. seems like its not going to start..

If you start up to fast you will make a large amount of mistakes. Write everything down that needs to be done, keep asking questions and then when it's time to put the key in the ignition you won't have so much on your mind and also won't be paying out more money than planned for your start up costs:cool:.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
im driving for o/o...someday. he had my co-driver ready but something happened to him. just seems like should i look for someone else to drive for. im always looking and trying to ask questions on here. of course we want to be ready for the road.thanks for the help..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
most states require workers comp ins,but some of the states won't let a owner opp take out workers comp,so the ins companies have what they call a work accident ins.
this is like workers comp and much cheaper.Workers comp is based on your weekly pay,in Ohio thats a little over 15% ,so if you make 1000 dollars,that could be $150 week.I pay 100 month for work accident ins