Why We Do This

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Nice Post from Mr.Good, I was listening to a talk show yesterday, and I would like to ask this question to you all.

Why do we do this? Are you better off now than you were a year ago? Finances? Have you paid more debt down or are you deeper in debt or about the same.

The real question is do you have a plan, goals where are you going with this? I can reflect back on the past year, alot of time away from friends and family. If you are not going forward than why and where are you going.

The views are great, the freedom is wonderfull, but life is going by fast, faster in this business than most, are you accomplishing your goals or just running on the tread mill hoping it will get better?

I would like to add more comments if some members care to help out here.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Im sticking around in hopes that things will get better.Im alot worst off now than when I started 10 years ago.But this has been my worst year of those 10 years.This industry is like a roller coaster.One minute your up and the next your down.Hopefully I hit bottom 3 months ago and now I should start the up swing.I'd love to sit down with others who have been in it for more than 10 years to compare notes.Is there a 5 year pattern? Or is that just the way my business works?

And of course the big problem is when to say when.I have had several chances to get out and take a regular job.I seen one in the paper last night.The state needs vans to take elderly patiants to out of state hospitals.They will pay .70 cpm.Thats a 7cpm paycut and no fuel surcharge but Id be home every night and they have a maintance facility that I could use.Or I could take a job with a local factory traveling around the world inspecting window installations and real world applications for a set salary.

Of course I made more money in the last 2 weeks than my monthly average.2 more weeks like that and I'd be caught back up or maybe even ahead of the game.This is only business that I know of that allows that kind of revenue generation.If I take a regular job it would take over a year to catch up ,because it is a set paycheck.Of course one more breakdown or slow month will put me into bankruptcy. Its nail biting time!If I make it I can pat myself on the back for a job well done, if I fail then I have only myself to blame.

May the expediting gods smile kindly on us all!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have compared our income to last years and we are doing better then last year. Our finances are in great shape we are still paying down our debt, still on track.

We have a plan and have not had to slow down at all to reach our goals. We will still pay our truck off early, still investing in our retirement plans.

With internet,and as cheap as cell phones are we probable stay more in touch with our extended family then we even did. When we are close we try to take the time to say Hi and find out how everyone is doing. We have also found our place, we have met so many great couples out here that like to spend time together and appreciate each other. We have made more friends "being loners in a truck" then we ever had having 9 to 5 jobs. Neither one of us liked girls night out or the boys night out we would rather be together. Not usually the accepted norm in everyday life. Out here that is normal and we love it.

We are making more money then we ever have, we enjoy every day of seeing the United States and seeing the seasons change. We love being our own boss decided to take a run, turning down a run, visiting a new city, decided to go out of service to spend time with family or friends, being treated as the professionals that we are.

Everyday is a new day and with every sunrise or sunset we have a new adventure for the day. What a great business!!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Kraig,
I have the utmost respect for you and your abilities that being said It would be irresponsible of me to suggest that many others follow your path. I for one could not imagine supporting a household, a family and a host of creditors. I made the post so people would think twice about their decision to enter expedite, for us it was a trade off for the life we knew in that we both were able to share new experiences and enjoy the freedom the job affords us. We don't make as good an income as we used to but sold the house and made the sacrifices we had to to enjoy the road. I have said in the past that this isn't for everyone and really do not believe it is a great move for those running single or non same household teams (especially if you have to support a family). Of course that is just my opinion. I have met many great people since starting that just were not able to make it because of the volatile nature of expedite.
We have $2,000 weeks which we loathe and last week we had the best at over $12,000 I honestly don't think though that we are doing better than last year only the next quarter will tell.
My hat is off to people like you and Leo as I am unwilling or unable to exercise the discipline you guy's do to make this work and as I have said before expedite is best suited for the semi retired.
It is my sincere hope that other posters share their view on this subject.
Mike and Cyn

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with Mike in that this has become a tough go for the single drivers. Primarly because of increasing costs and the HOS. I think the latter really put a squeeze on alot of solos.
Like others, how our year turns out will be hard to tell verses last year. I would say we are about the same as far as net income, (this year vs last).
Our income is up, but our expenses have increased as well.
Fourth quarter should be interesting.
But after all this time, we still love the business and the many people we know in it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
C&M or Panther. Possibly Landstar, but they take some time to get used to. For a solo, it comes down to whether a company is good at transferring loads or runs without a QC.
HOS will be your biggest obstacle.
Personally, if I was a solo driver, I would likely run under my own authority. But, if your just getting in, I wouldn't start there.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Talk to BP AKA Kraig, C/M seems to be a great outfit for a solo driver,they work around the HOS rules(legally) where other Companies such as Fedex, Panther have hard guidelines for their dispatchers to rule your life with.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do this because I like it. It has'nt been financially rewarding for me, yet I hang in there. I recently discussed the definition of insanity with a friend. That is, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When Diane and I jumped in three years ago, we were confident we would succeed, but also knew that we might be making the biggest mistake of our lives. We jumped in anyway because we would rather try and fail than sit around at age 70 regretting that we never tried.

While it is better to try than not, there is no shame in changing course if you find that expediting is is taking you where you do not wish to go.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I do this because I like it and since I started my blood pressure has dropped a bunch. Having said that .... this is the worst year yet. I'm far behind the plan and a bit discouraged. If I didn't have a plan I'm sure I'd be going in the hole. Anyway, I continue to do the same thing over and over again and expecting change. Hmmm. Seems like that's the definition of insanity.:p :p :p

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Been doing this about a year and a half. Like I told a neighbor, my income from expediting has replaced my teaching salary. My wife still can have her nails done, go to the beauty shop, have the cleaning lady in every couple weeks, etc. Nothing much has changed in her standard of living. On the other hand, I am eating Cheerios out of the box and sleeping in an unheated truck.

:+ :+