Why electric vehicles will take over sooner than you think

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I know, you probably haven't even driven one yet, let alone seriously contemplated buying one, so the prediction may sound a bit bold, but bear with me.

We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.

And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine

Read More...

details-ford-van.jpeg

PS. Don't kill the messenger.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know, you probably haven't even driven one yet, let alone seriously contemplated buying one, so the prediction may sound a bit bold, but bear with me.

We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.

And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine

Read More...

View attachment 20607
Bad link, Lawrence

Reactions: Turtle

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Recycling is one big thing that has to be overcome when it comes to the batteries, but the technology has advanced to the point where the battery will last several hundred thousand miles. And when it comes to replacement, its going to be way easier to replace the battery than it would to replace an engine in a gas car.

Myself I would buy an electric right now if they were not so expensive.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That battery is over $8,000 plus labor depending on model of car/truck.....what do you think a straight truck or tractor is going to cost to replace. And there is a very limited amount of lithium material compared to gas or propane....

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Its possible to make gas/diesel from seaweed which is a very renewable resource but it takes time to grow......I would rather have a truck with a diesel engine than a electric engine because how are you going to charge a dead electric battery on the side of the road.....

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Electric vehicles will eventually be the standard. But that's decades away if not a century. The simple fact is there aren't charging stations like there are fuel stations.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
how are you going to charge a dead electric battery on the side of the road.....
The same way you put fuel in an empty fuel tank on the side of the road. It's probably best to not run out of either fuel or electricity in the first place.

Keep in mind that in the late 1800s and early 1900s most cars were electric, running off lead-acid wet cell batteries not much different than the wet cells of today. Couldn't go very far or very fast, but they were good in the cities. Handsome Cab had a bunch of them. The internal combustion engine was a lot more efficient in terms of maintenance, recharging,and range and quickly overtook the electric cars. But it still took some time to get filling station infrastructure in place. The Ford Model T dramatically increased the urgency for a national network of filling stations.

Early entrepreneurs set up filling stations right on the sidewalks and instead of having to ladle gas into a container and pour out into the gas tank, they had hoses with nozzles specifically for the Model T. Quickly the nozzles became standardized so they would work with any vehicle.

That's what's going to have to happen with electric vehicles, they'll need standardized charging stations that will work with any brand.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Electric vehicles will eventually be the standard. But that's decades away if not a century. The simple fact is there aren't charging stations like there are fuel stations.
I would think that when someone buys an electric car, probably 90% of the time they will be charging at home at night. When they need to take a trip is when they will need to charge away from home so we wont need as many charging stations as we do gas stations. Now it does take longer to charge an electric than it does to fill up a gas tank so that will factor into it too.

Im waiting to see what happens with any new tax credits to start looking at a Bolt.

Reactions: Turtle