Why didn't I get that load?

Kazper1008

Seasoned Expediter
We were in PA one time dont remember the exact place but we were offered a load we said yes and got it drove to pick up the load and as I stepped out of the truck the QC beeped and the message said the load canceled didnt we get the notice all the while I was outside of the truck opening the doors and an employee was pointing me to the dock he wanted me to back into so I backed in and went to talk to the customer and explained that I was told the load canceled he replied thats crazy we didnt cancel come to find out the FED set up for a white glove unit to come get the load so they could charge more but all that was needed was pads and strapps and we have it. In the end we didnt get the load but truth be told there will never be a honest truck company! Just like we think we get a certain percent of whats charged the truth is we have no idea what they charge only what they tell us.:rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sometime the shipping clerk does not have all the reasons why a load cancels and sometimes we do not always know how an order has changed even after the truck gets to the consignee.

We were at a shipper and getting ready to follow directions into a dock and received the dreaded message load canceled. We went inside to the shipper and they told us no way this load canceled it has to ship. We let them know that until we were told different we considered the load canceled. It took another half hour before the word came down to the shipper the load had canceled.

We talked to a supervisor within FCC and found out why the load had canceled and after learning why we were more then happy to get out from under the load.

Sometimes things we do and the loads we accept and decline only make sense to us and a dispatcher at the other in is pulled their hair out as the load looks fantastic to them. They do not always know the facts on why drivers turn down loads and we do not always know the facts on why a load cancels or what was changed on the load and why.

Roll with it or spend your time being frustrated over something you do not have to power to change. The other option is get your own authority and then you will know the reasons.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Roll with it or spend your time being frustrated over something you do not have to power to change. The other option is get your own authority and then you will know the reasons.

We once arrived at a shipper to find the load we were there to pick up had been double-booked and another truck had already been there and taken the freight. The couple-hundred miles and day of wait time we invested in the load went for naught. In cases like this, the solution is not for us to get our own authority. The solution is for dispatch to get a clue.

If contractors should get their own authority instead of getting upset with shippers and dispatch when they screw up, FedEx Custom Critical would have no contractors left.

Contractors have every right to feel however they choose when they are harmed in very real ways by shipper and dispatch errors. Our carrier is big enough to realize that, which is why NO ONE in the office tells contractors to get their own authority instead of voicing a complaint when legitimate grounds exist.

It is surprising how much complaining and whining people at the office are willing to listen to without telling contractors to take a hike. Why so? I think it is because if you fired 100 people tomorrow for complaining too much, the 100 who replaced them would complain the same.

And why is that? It is because there are realities in this business that result in contractors being unfairly or unjustly treated, with the contractors paying the price. A company that is unable to listen these things through and try to minimize them is a company that will not keep its contractors long.

Diane and I are as good as anyone at rolling with the punches, but there are times that, to protect our own interests and financial well being, we punch back. If we instead ran off and got our own authority so everyone in the office could be happy and our carrier cheerleaders would not be irritated, the carrier would not benefit from the feedback and the problems would not be addressed.

Dispatchers and agents who repeatedly do contractors wrong, should be the ones to pay the price. If they don't, the carrier will lose good contractors, gain a retention problem, and the errant people will remain free to do the damage they do.

The same applies to shippers. There are some loads out there that experienced contractors have come to avoid because the shippers are known to cancel the loads after ordering a truck. The price they pay to dry run a truck is for them an acceptable cost of doing business.

Should we willingly serve such shippers at dry run pay? Our carrier is happy to send us in and then pay us next to nothing when the shipper decides the truck is not needed that day. They order the truck to have on hand but happily cancel the load if it suits them.

What is the solution there? Should we just "roll with it" and pretend it is OK to donate our time and truck to people who take full advantage of the fact that canceling loads costs them almost nothing? Should we show up, get screwed and then get our own authority if we don't like it?

Self-motivated, self-empowered, intelligent, independent contractor business people don't act like that. They run their business like a business and put their own best interests first. After rolling with it once or twice, wise contractors use the power they have to change the situation.

Having learned their lesson, they decline load offers from shippers that are willing to unfairly exploit them. They tell their carrier their reasons why. They offer to cover the load in return for a guarantee that full pay will be made if the load goes or not. That puts the problem back on the carrier and shipper, leaving them with the choice of what they want to do. And it protects the contractor from getting screwed.

The solution is not to run away by getting your own authority. The solution is to use your power to change things for the better.

Whether you have your own authority or not, the same shippers are willing to take full advantage of you if allowed. If you are unwilling to put your own best interests first, it doesn't matter what kind of operating authority you run under. You will get screwed again and again until you can no longer afford to remain in business.

Customer service has its limits. A restaurant group could serve fantastic food and provide outstanding customer service and thrill its customers, but if they cannot do so at a profitable price, out of business they go. So too with truckers. We can delight shippers by donating our trucks but only at our peril.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The other option is get your own authority and then you will know the reasons.

I have to agree with Phil,this is not the answer to the problem and Team Caffee is being overly redundant with using this solution as the end all cure all to every problem that comes along. Yet another reason to verify that the drivers council is in no way for the drivers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think getting one's own authority was suggested as A possible solution not as the only solution. I can also say from experience that a driver's council may be a lot more for the driver's than they are given credit because they can't implement and enforce anything. At best they are listened to and at worst they aren't even listened to. Don't knock council members too much until you've done two terms on the council and seen how many good suggestions are put in that never go any farther.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to agree with Phil,this is not the answer to the problem and Team Caffee is being overly redundant with using this solution as the end all cure all to every problem that comes along. Yet another reason to verify that the drivers council is in no way for the drivers.

I could not agree more. I too am oh so tired of that being offered as the end all do all solution to all problems.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . .

Self-motivated, self-empowered, intelligent, independent contractor business people don't act like that. They run their business like a business and put their own best interests first. After rolling with it once or twice, wise contractors use the power they have to change the situation.
. . .

ATeam sums up exactly why I bring certain threads to the forum that may be perceived as negative.

Positive improvements are always possible, but sometimes they need to be prompted by those who address a negative issue.

This is not about being upset and angry at the company. Quite the opposite. We appreciate this opportunity and we are convinced that we chose the right carrier. That is why we care enough to bring these issues up even though they could possibly cast a negative light on our carrier.

No doubt we are thought of as FECC Cheerleaders by family and friends, but cheerleaders don't leave (own authority) they help their carrier with straight forward honest feedback.

It is important to keep one thing in mind:

This is not a franchise and it is not a partnership where both parties work together toward the same goals.
Carriers and their Independent Contractors (ICs) have competing interests:

The Carrier wants a truck in Seattle.
The IC wants to be in a busier express center

The Carrier wants a truck "on hold" in case a customer needs it.
The IC wants to be available now for a booked load.

Etc.

It is the nature of these conflicting interests that will continue to cause negative situations; however, there are many situations that can be improved to benefit both parties.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Still trying to figure this one out.

Last week I was sitting in Boise ID with a less than 75 and over 100 hours dwell in Salt Lake City Express Center (after racking up about 66 hours or so in Portland OR e.c.) Dispatcher had agreed to add Reno as an authorized layover destination and I was planning to go there when I got offered a barely acceptable rate to go to Reno for a load running to Las Vegas. Pick up was over 24 hours away and drive time was about 8 hours or so. I accepted the load, but didn't get it.

If I didn't get it with a l-t-75 and over 100 hours of dwell, how bad off was the other truck?

I'm not particularly complaining. After checking weather reports we decided that Boise to Reno was not a very inviting journey for that day, and we instead decided to move east even though it meant doing so on our own nickle.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It would be interesting to know where the truck was sitting that received the load.

Were you still checked into the Salt Lake City express center? You were still over 50 miles away from that Express Center so you had negative points against your truck.

The DVA is constantly being tweaked and one of the tweaks is if you are more than fifty miles from the Express Center you get negative points. It has also been tweaked to cut down on FCC paying out so much in dead head to pickup.

This load seems to be one of those extreme cases.

I do not think the computer recognizes the difference between the east coast and the west coast and just sees dead head as dead head.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This load seems to be one of those extreme cases.

How about these two cases, not so extreme. We are in a fully-equipped, fully-credentialled, all flags CR unit. We are in the Dallas express center, 26 miles from downtown Dallas. We have less-than-75 status. There are no other trucks in the area with less-than-75 status.

A White Glove C load is dispatched out of the Dallas express center to another truck. We did not see the offer but were on C-link the whole time. We learned about the load by checking VRU.

That left us as the truck in the area with the most dwell time and less-than-75 status. In a couple hours, another WG C load was dispatched out of the Dallas express center to another truck and again we did not see the offer and were on C-link the whole time.

Explainations? Theories?

We do not understand what happened or why.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
How about these two cases, not so extreme. We are in a fully-equipped, fully-credentialled, all flags CR unit. We are in the Dallas express center, 26 miles from downtown Dallas. We have less-than-75 status. There are no other trucks in the area with less-than-75 status.

A White Glove C load is dispatched out of the Dallas express center to another truck. We did not see the offer but were on C-link the whole time. We learned about the load by checking VRU.

That left us as the truck in the area with the most dwell time and less-than-75 status. In a couple hours, another WG C load was dispatched out of the Dallas express center to another truck and again we did not see the offer and were on C-link the whole time.

Explainations? Theories?

We do not understand what happened or why.

I have several possible scenarios that could explain these cases; however, at some point it just becomes an exercise in futility and frustration chasing theories.

In order to reduce the temptation to fill in the blanks with negative thoughts I would suggest the following exercise which has worked well for us:

Play the "match game".:)

Lately, when we feel that a load has been dispatched to another vehicle less entitled (by DVA criteria) we think of the most recent load that we were awarded that we felt we were not actually entitled to.

So far, it is a close race when comparing those we were surprised to get against those that we were surprised to lose.

This helps us remain sane.:D