Why are expediting companies always hiring?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The recruiting budget at Landstar is small, I betcha!

It seems, at last count, we have less than 300 units on the road, and they are only accepting select units into the fleet.

Tell you a little secret. They don't want to lease. I was contracted to them back in 03-04 it's better to be an approved carrier, they are always calling you. ;)

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
People get into Expediting and have.no idea what it involves. Then there are people who just have a bad attitude and quit everything looking for the perfect company, lol.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

lhannah

Active Expediter
Tell you a little secret. They don't want to lease. I was contracted to them back in 03-04 it's better to be an approved carrier, they are always calling you. ;)

I think they find it is cheaper to simply broker out freight than it its to cover it with your own fleet. Esp. if your customer base is shrinking.

Some companies are always hiring because they want to find good drivers. You can't always tell from a phone conversation whether an owner operator is going to be worth your time or not. I've often hired people and sent them on shorter runs for awhile only to find out they aren't the kind of person I want working with my company. I've also found guys that turned into excellent drivers that I would have assumed to be bad based on phone conversations. Maybe that says more about how well I judge people than the effectiveness of recruiting practices. ha.

Also, if a company doesn't require a driver to only contract through them then there is no drawback for either the driver or carrier to hire on a regular basis.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
There is a lot involved in doing this business. Being away from home for extended periods of time is something that not a lot of people can cope with.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that why i like ceva richmond va they are a well run office
rosalia , is so on top of things

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
There is also a company in Seville, Oh. That has 2 revolving doors. This keeps the air circulated in the Taj Mahal. It is know as the twin turbo a/c system.

Camper

Not a Member
So...would you say that just because a company advertises for owner/operators doesn't necessarily mean they have a surplus of work? And...if that's IS the case would you say that Newbies like me should take a lesson from that?:eek:

Capacity is much easier added than utilized. There's no shortage of carriers looking to add contractors. The real shortage is the number of carriers who have an actual need for the additional capacity, especially with respect to vans.