Why am I overheating and losing coolant?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
It's in the shop. I will be updating when I know something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if water coming out exhaust,should smell antifreeze,look for white resedue at tail pipe
sounds like cracked head or blown head gasket though.I had smae problem,was cracked head.9 k to fix,sold truck

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have noticed a lot of Lot Lizzards get in and out of trucks, maybe they know how to fix overheating problems.:rolleyes:

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
if water coming out exhaust,should smell antifreeze,look for white resedue at tail pipe
sounds like cracked head or blown head gasket though.I had smae problem,was cracked head.9 k to fix,sold truck

9 grand to fix the head? I'm getting my head tested, just in case, and I called parts to check pricing, and it's 2200 for the part. I was already paying the labor for the head gasket. For 9 grand, on this truck, I can pretty much get a complete in frame overhaul done (and more).

What truck did you have for that?

Anyway, they got back to me. It's the gasket, maybe the head, as I said, I'm getting that tested just in case.

I will update further as I know more.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
if you have a temperature gun, just point it at the radiator. That will tell you if that is the problem. I would follow with a pressure test on the cooling system. As for oil testing, forget speedco. Had this problem with a bad injector and oil smelled like diesel. Two different tests at different speedco's said oil was fine. Sent a sample to a lab and it confirmed our suspicions.
Speedco oil analysis are worthless based on our results.
"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
are these temp guns sold locally

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
9 grand to fix the head? I'm getting my head tested, just in case, and I called parts to check pricing, and it's 2200 for the part. I was already paying the labor for the head gasket. For 9 grand, on this truck, I can pretty much get a complete in frame overhaul done (and more).

What truck did you have for that?

Anyway, they got back to me. It's the gasket, maybe the head, as I said, I'm getting that tested just in case.

I will update further as I know more.

you can get a new 335 cat motor from yancey in atlanta for 9000 plus install

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Okay everyone. It's been almost a month, but my truck is now fully repaired. What was it?
Testing confirmed a blown head gasket, further testing on the head confirmed blown head. Also had issues with piston cylinders, so an inframe overhaul was needed. Upon main barring install, discovered I needed a new block. While checking things out, it made sense for a new clutch. After all was together, test drive revealed it was still running hot. Because I now needed a new radiator.

So, after all of that, and $19000 later, I have a new truck, that is almost completely warrantied by fixes I've paid for.

Lesson to learn here? Keep your stinking radiators cleaned out, because it all starts there.

We bought this truck used, with no idea of the maintenance from the previous owner. He clearly either knew to dump it, or got lucky and hardly maintained anything. Either way, this truck is now almost all knew, warranty for a year, and ready to make some serious money.
So we are back on the road again.
And the brother truckers lived happily ever after.
The End.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry for the expenses and hassles. Thanks for the update, tho. :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Changing the radiator can be a little pricey but I think it is really important to protect all the other parts you just invested in. I hate when things like this happen to O/O's but I guess it is a risk of the profession.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App