who's your favorite all-time baseball player, and

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: who's your favorite all-time baseball player,

If memory seves me right wasn't Jim Rice a surly nasty individual. Like many of us I rarely watch MLB anymore but about 2-3 times a year I take in a Double A game.The Jacksonville Suns are a farm team of the Dodgers and at that level the players are still putting out effort plus you can park,get a ticket in and have 2-3 beers for a $20 bill.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter

nah, Jim Rice was one of the good guys...you're probably thinking about George Bell, Albert Belle, or someone else. He was generally a nice guy. Didn't talk to the media a lot, but still a nice guy. also known for 300+ yard drives off the tee!!!

JohnO

Veteran Expediter

Being a Red Sox one would be hard pressed to say anything nice...lol

He had his moments but he wasn't any where near the level of Bell for sure.

Rich, I agree with the minor league games 100%

We have the Lakewood Blue Claws Class A for Phillies only 5 miles from the house and I love seeing their games. Those kids give 110% every day certainly not like their big league brothers

They were advertising for host families when they first came to town and I put on my best act to convince the wife that we should be one. All I could think about is talking baseball 24/7 and going to every game it would be well received by me all I had to do is convince the Mrs. Her response was you want a 18-20 year old male and his friends at our house when we still have our 16 year old daughter living at home? My goose was cooked.

Two years down the road my daughter moved to New York City and she agreed to be a host family. We got the batting coach a former big leaguer Tony Barron http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/barroto01.shtml and it was a match made in heaven.

I went to every game shagged balls talked with all the players and coaches and after every game we had a bs session that lasted to the wee hours. Heaven can’t be any better.

Tony Barron was a Philly outfielder filling in for injured ??? until he brought his wrist thus ending his major league stint. He played several years in Mexican League making good money but all thinks come to an end.

At one of these bs sessions he told how he beat the Yankees 2 games in a row during interleague play driving in the winning runs for each.

I left a note on his locker door that no yankee killer is allowed in my home so move out buddy…lol
He left the note up and some of the kids thought it was for real.

Charlie Manuel was present at times and is one hellova guy. He was a roving coach for the minors at the time.

I was involved in the Big Brother Big Sister Program and the 8 year old I had loved baseball so he was a frequent visitor to games, field and locker room. He got balls signed and at times we would bring along one of his friends who he introduced to the team with great joy.

It was a great season only wish they had won more games.

Next year my daughter moved back home so no more host family.

We also have the Trenton Thunder Class AA for Yankees and Staten Island Yankees Class A for Yankees within 60 miles of home.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Stan Musial - he's at the top.
Yogi Berra - great catcher, clutch hitter & reknowned philosopher.
Sandy Koufax - probably the best lefty ever.
Bob Gibson - I'd like to see him pitch to today's pampered punks.
Dizzy Dean - if there's ever been a better baseball announcer, I'd like to know who it is/was.

Needless to say, I don't watch baseball any more except when the Redbirds are in the playoffs / world series.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Bench is and was a pompus a**. Great catcher, but a real but* head.

One day while playing at Shaker Run Golf course, in an outing he decided to try for the green on a par four, he had to carry the water, maybe 300 yards. He swung so hard that he craped his pants. He jumped in the water hazard untill his friends brought fresh clothes from the Pro shop.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

My all time favorite is "Charlie Hustle" Pete Rose,I'm not a Cinci fan but he was the man,gave 110% on every play,and some day I really hope they forgive his gambling,and he gets into the hall.At least he wasnt on the juice.
Oh what I'd give to see a Cinci,Cleveland world series,but what a fantacy

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter

Pete Rose will probably never get into the hall of fame...He not only gambled on baseball, but He's really shown no type of contrition for what He did. I liked Him as a player, but as a person, He's got a lot to learn. It's not like He didn't know gambling on games was wrong, so I really have no sympathy for Him.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Rose's gambling had nothing to do with how he played, and really not much to do with how he coached. Pizz on the former commish and his ego.

As far as my favorite player... Gary Carter. Cause I was one of the few Expos fans. LOL They were a great bunch to watch in 1980-81.

fortwayne

Not a Member

Tony Gwynn - retired, right field, San Diego Padres. I will make my first journey to the baseball hall of fame later this summer when he gets honored into the hall with another great one, Cal Ripkin Jr. Gwynn was THE most consistent hitter in baseball history (in my view) and is one of the last players we will ever see of his caliber that will play his entire season for one team. (along with Ripkin) Two class guys from a game which is filled with very little class at all today.

Fort Wayne
Stop The Mexican Truckers!

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter

I liked Tony Gwynn a lot, He was a wizard with the bat, and a student of the game. there was no one way to pitch him, sometimes I think HE knew what the pitcher was going to throw before the pitcher knew.