Who's got a blog and why you should start one if you don't

DougTravels

Not a Member
PICT0012_0.jpgI've seen quite a few hits on my blog, DOUGSTER'S TRAVELS from EO members, and thanks for looking! I was wondering do any other EO members have blogs? If you don't here's why I think you should think about it. #1 It is fun after you get into it (my daughter talked me into it and I was very skepical at first) #2 It gives your friends and family a chance to see what you are up to when you are out here and gives them an idea of the places you see and things you do. #3 It kills time- maybe this should have been number 1!! #4 you could potentially make a few bucks- ok don't count on it, I have a couple of google ads on mine that goes to my daughters college account but I don't think she has gotten anything to speak of yet. #5 It gives you alot of room to store your digital pictures, this can be a great thing. I found out the hard way recently when my laptop died, If not for my blog I would have lost all my Pictures. Yeah I know I should have backed them up in a web album, at least most of them were saved. Im sure there are other reason's to do a blog in this line of work but here's a few from the top of my head.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have one, sort of.... I don't post often as I should.... maybe I will today... I too have ads to pay for it...on average it hasn't done bad.

Unlike others, I don't promote the site in my signature line. I was going to but I feel that it competes with this site or can appear to and I don't want to be a self-serving ******* *** person but just a plain member.

As for pictures, that is a good idea.

DougTravels

Not a Member
DSC03102.JPGI don't really think that it is competing with this site at all. For me, it is just a hobby and I don't have ads for expediting. Most of the ads that are on there usually have something to do with the posts on that page, they must do it by keywords. I would love to see your blog could you post the address? As far as paying for the blog, I'm on blogger and it is free

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well things I write about do in a way compete with this site or at least I feel they do.... it is not just about my travels, but tech stuff and truck stuff.

I also use the site for development work, so I pay for it... used to have my own server farm and all that but I just let someone else deal with the headaches.

Blogger is good.

I will send you a link a little later.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DougTravels,

I did not know of your blog until you mentioned it here. Thank you for doing so. I will enjoy reading it.

I have been blogging for a while now. The link to my blog is in my signature line below. Blogging every day can take some effort at times but at the Expedite Expo, I received a boatload of unexpected positive feedback about my blog.

I had no idea people were following our travels day by day like they told me they do, and using it as an industry research aid. That feedback gave me a renewed enthusiasm for blogging.

It is a fun way to express yourself. It helps record your adventures which will help you remember them in later years. It provides a way for like-minded people to find and introduce themselves to you. And it can be helpful to others who use it to learn more about life on the road.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Doug hello I'd like to say that your blog is really cool and looks great,an you have alot of great pic's.Thanks for the blog I'll keep visiting it.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Enjoyed reading your blog Doug.. I think it's great.. maybe
inspire me to start one.
Great pictures and very entertaining. Keep up the good work

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Doug,

I visited your blog also. I have been considering starting one myself but a friend of mine is going to help me set up my own web site. He says that is the way to go but I am not sure.

Loved the music on yours have not heard that much Jim Croce in a long time.:)

Keep up the good work and will check in often.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have been considering starting one myself but a friend of mine is going to help me set up my own web site. He says that is the way to go but I am not sure.

With blogging morphing into social networking, and social networking morphing into who knows what, it is getting easier than ever for people to find others with similar interests online.

Look how this Open Forum has evolved over the years. Once something simple, it now has social groups, enhanced private message features, and icons for Furl, del.icio.us, Technorati, and Digg. Blogging for some has given way to Twitter.

It's hard to say what a blog is any more, compared to a forum or a group, or a virtual world, or whatever else. In time, these things will evolve into things more standardized, recognized and useful. But with internet access devices (phones, readers, laptops, etc.) continuing to morph, it will be a while before things settle in.

It does not really matter if you blog on your own web site or on one like BlogSpot or WordPress provides. Just make it easy to be found by the people you are writing for.

I blog on my own web site because I like having total control of the site. I also enjoy plinking away at a snail's pace to grow my Dreamweaver skills (web site development software). With my own site, I don't have to worry about site sponsors changing the rules or networking my stuff with advertising schemes of theirs. Static pages are working just fine, at least for now.

It you are after high numbers of readers, or are seeking to network with large numbers of unseen online "friends" online, one of the more modern social-networking/blog sites will be the ticket. They offer the latest and greatest in social networking technology that will boost traffic to your blog.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I liked it until I read the part about "many a freak" in West Memphis,AR. I graduated from high school in the town just north of West Memphis. You leave West Memphis on Hwy 77 and you are in Marion. I think a lot of people see the truck stops or maybe Wal-Mart and think the whole area is like that. I could show you some place in West Memphis and Marion that would make your jaw drop. There are some very beautiful homes and nice places to dine, if you know where to look. Especially Italian food since there are a large number of Italian descendents there, there are a couple of great Italian and a really good Greek place come to think of it. Crittenden County is not the Petro and Flying J.

DougTravels

Not a Member
I re-read my blog post, and yeah it must sound pretty bad to a local. I will amend it accordingly, but please understand I try and make my blog somewhat funny to the reader, and the fact of the matter is, I did see alot of freaks in and around the Petro Pilot and Flying J. They are probably not a good representation of the fine folks that live and work around here. Maybe the Carnival was in town, sorry I coudn't resist. Please don't hate me I see freaks in my home town too!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was pickin on you more than anything else. There are so low lifes that hang out around the truck stops over there. I've often tried to point people in the direction of a few good places to eat around there so people can see West Memphis isn't all that bad of an area. It's like anywhere else. There are just bed places within the area. Don't worry about it. Next time you are going to be in West Memphis let me know, and I will point you to some good Mexican food. I know I can get vanners into the Italian and Greek places, but I don't know about a D unit.