who does Oil Analysis

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if your new truck has fresh oil,that analysis is worthless.It takes more than 1 time to see if there is anything going on in your engine,unless its really bad.You have to compare 1 sample to another

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not really, if there is a high amount of lead or metal or other stuff in the oil it is a good indication that there are problems. The series of checks help in heading off problems.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any Speedco location will do one.they also do drug test.they have a sign hanging up that says we drug test here!! LOL

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
if your new truck has fresh oil,that analysis is worthless.It takes more than 1 time to see if there is anything going on in your engine,unless its really bad.You have to compare 1 sample to another

Waste of time and money.....absolutly worthless. It's a well known fact you dont do oil analysis on fresh engine oil. Totally goes against all the known testing standards. Anyone who fails to understand oil analysis timings can always take the class offered by Polaris Labs. Heck, you'll find enough information on their website that'll put that sillyness to rest.

You got how many years driving nightcreacher ? Folks would be far better informed listening to guys like you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Waste of time and money.....absolutly worthless. It's a well known fact you dont do oil analysis on fresh engine oil. Totally goes against all the known testing standards. Anyone who fails to understand oil analysis timings can always take the class offered by Polaris Labs. Heck, you'll find enough information on their website that'll put that sillyness to rest.

You got how many years driving nightcreacher ? Folks would be far better informed listening to guys like you.

I absolutely agree that having fresh oil in the sump will not do much good. But I don't see any place where the op said that he wants to test with fresh oil and I give him credit for asking. Steve suggest that it is a waste of time to test at all because it takes more than one test which is essentially wrong and my reply wasn't clear what I meant.

The fact that OAs for prepurchses seems to counter your opinion because the use of an OA to look for problems before purchasing and this does not take a series of tests to be done - just one test. But of course if the oil is fresh, I would pass on the truck and have in the past.

Now you can say I'm wrong about this and the need for an ECM dump and dyno but it goes against the current trends.

Polaris classes are $500, they are good. Noria courses are also good too but expensive at $1595 and justified if you are going for your certification. I can't see spending money on a course unless you are a fleet or maintenance manager, instead hit bobistheoilguy.com site and learn.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Not really, if there is a high amount of lead or metal or other stuff in the oil it is a good indication that there are problems. The series of checks help in heading off problems.
greg i said fresh oil was a waiste of time
but if oil is fresh from just being changed,and if I were selling a truck with a problem,I guarantee it would have fresh oil.What should be done is ask for the service records

Last edited:

blacktruck

Seasoned Expediter
ok i have a question do gassers get oil tested

The answer is yes. You can do an oil sample on any engine or component that is filled with lubricant of some kind. Several of these posts above have been right on track. To get a real benefit from it, you need to do several so that you can see any trends developing by the differences in wear material in the oil. One oil sample on fresh oil isn't much good. Several during the course of normal operation is great. Do them regularly and there will be a benefit to them in time. I did them regularly during my career in Army Aviation. It is an accurate way to get a picture of health of your engine. Like any good picture, remember it is only one dimensional. You gotta see the whole thing to really know how your engine is doing.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know, I got a box of them with little mailing boxes and baggies.

I take it from the sump, I have a long flexible tube what looks like a turkey baster that I stick down the oil dipstick tube. I suck up the oil and dump it into the little bottle.

The sump is the best place but maybe the filter wouldn't hurt. Call them and ask.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I test my oil, I have a gulf coast by pass filter, and I send the samples to titan labs, and they send the results to gulf coast, who forwards them to me along with any comments. they knew I had the head off without being told because of the oil sample.

I also use the AMESOIL sampling amesoil kits give you a very detailed breakdown.

But I prefer the gulf coast setup, they seem very knowledgeable, and are willing to answer questions and give good pointers.

The only drawback with the gulf coast system is they always try and sell the big four element filter system, which in my common sensical opinion is over kill, I bought the single element filter, and it works fine. I guess if I did heavy haul or something the big four element filter would make sense, but in most truck applications the four element system is severe OVERKILL.

By the way testing on the first oil change is not a waste, as you could find coolant or fuel in the oil, which if your thing of buying a truck the 19 dollar test may have just saved you thousands down the road. True you won't a a basis to compare wear metals, but you won't need it if a cylinder wall is cracked and coolant has seeped into the oil.

So yes pull a sample if your considering buying a truck (Used truck anyway)

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Yep, Speedco does oil analysis but be sure the sample they use is from your truck. Had one done and they gave me a print out for someone elses truck. They said it was just becauce they put the wrong truck info in the computor when they did the printout. So I asked how did they know for sure this was my oil and not for the other truck. Could'nt answer that one, so now I will get a free analysis on my next visit there. Oh yeah I'll be sure to be at that location when my next oil change is due. Idiots!!!!!