Which Way?

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
I've been away from expediting for the last couple of months, but am considering coming back as a solo driver. I would have to drive for an o/o so what would be more profitable if profitable at all? driving a straight truck? or a cargo van? profitable for me would be grossing $1800 per month with 3 weeks out 1 week home.

The two major situations are driving a straight truck, I would have to deal with the HOS

Driving a cargo van I can see myself sitting alot

Thanks for any input

R

rangell218

well welcome back I think, do alot of reading in this forum as well as talk to the guy/gals that have been in this business alot longer than me, anyway I drive a straight and cover the 1800 month you are looking for but its alot of hard work. and you are comming (thinking) about comming back at a slow time as Im sure you are aware this is not the best time to re-enter expediting only my opinion, and if you are looking for an owner to drive for also do your research and make sure that person is right for you both, I wish you th best

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can only easily comment using Panther as an example. They pay a fixed rate so it's easy to compare. With Fedex and others that pay a percentage of the tariff it's tougher to compare. Vans get 77cpm and if you get 40% you'll get 31cpm. A C unit is going to pay $1.10 giving 44cpm and a D unit gets $1.20 giving 48cpm. You want $1800 a month and that would take 5806 miles in a van, 4091 miles in a C and 3750 miles in a D unit. Taking 1 week off per month, the first week probably being the best, you could possibly get that many miles in a van and almost assuredly get that many miles in either the C or D units.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
profitable for me would be grossing $1800 per month with 3 weeks out 1 week home.

Grossing $1800/month in a cargo van is certainly different than gross $1800/month in a truck. I think you need to come up with a net figure per month.

The two major situations are driving a straight truck, I would have to deal with the HOS

Driving a cargo van I can see myself sitting alot

Either way you will sit. A solo in a truck will be required by H.O.S. to sit.