//// Which truck for long distance work ? ////

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi All,

I have to lease a truck for a seemingly good long term long distance gig.

The rental / leasing company (Enterprise) has 3 basic trucks to choose from

1) International 4300
2) Freightliner M2
3) Hino 268

All lease for the same amount and assuming all are 26' non CDL trucks with liftgates, which one would you choose?

Thanks

Andrew

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’d punt.

Actually I’d pick the M2.
Spring ride ?

Are you budgeting Motels ?
Are they paying tolls ?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
those rental truck ride rough . you want a good air ride seat, air ride cab and axles . they are made cheap. how much are you going to pay per mile, plus how much is lease per week or month .

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’d punt.

Actually I’d pick the M2.
Spring ride ?

Are you budgeting Motels ?
Are they paying tolls ?

I'll have to look at the various trucks....I've only experienced my older Internatinal 4700's (noisy , spring ride, no OD ) , 1 GMC Top Kick (I like the step out gas tanks better than the steps out gas tanks on the internationals) , and a rental Penske International truck (NICE...Air ride seat, air rear suspension, Large platform on tuck under lift gate , quiet ....wow).

We have to pay motels / tolls / pretty much everything...Hopefully NOT too many big $$ tolls like they have in some areas up north....Seen those in a pick up truck pulling a trailer....expensive!

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much weight do you expect to need to carry?

I have no CDL so the truck I'll get is 26000 or under GVW....The company knows to hold down weight because of the non cdl truck and I told him I prefer not to kill my trucks (although with a rental I could be a little more easy going on weights BUT extra weight probably still hurts in the long run (more fuel usage).

I don't know the weight or what I'd be carrying BUT The spec did call for a full 26' box.

The co did mention they hauled 7000 lb new forklifts fairly often ( I was leary of that in my trucks since I've read the concentrated weight may be bad for the crossmembers of the box plus how would you secure that in a box ?....Cargo bars would not do too much against that weight in an accident .... E track and straps not much better if at all I....

I guess technically we never strap pallets inside so maybe no biggie ?....death would come quick enough in a big accident esp with essentially an unsecured forklift in back ;-(

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We never strap pallets......
This will change.
The learning curve goes through your wallet.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
those rental truck ride rough . you want a good air ride seat, air ride cab and axles . they are made cheap. how much are you going to pay per mile, plus how much is lease per week or month .

The lease figures out to $70 per day , 1000 "free" miles per week then 11 cents per mile after that but at the start of each new week you get another "free" 1000 miles

The trucks I've looked at ( at least the Internationals under CDL) all seem to have air ride / air seats / air brakes.

I have not seen an M2 or Hino Up close and personal yet but they offer those as well at the rental place

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This will change.

Do big trucks generally strap all pallets ?

About the only thing I have regularly strapped (unless I can wedge them in somewhere) when doing UPS air freight are the big TV's if they're loose because it looks bad to have the boxes all fallen over on top of each other especially if they have wording on them to keep them upright.

My helper on occasion straps Amazon pallets if they look like they'll fall over (they are a pain to restack and the shrink wrap is not as strong / good as one would think / hope.

medium and short pallets I have never strapped...

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Air brakes ?
I don’t remember, but research air brake endorsement.

In VA so long as the truck is under CDL airbrakes aren't an issue with a regular license....Don't know about other states and hopefully it won't be an issue when we go state to state

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You need to secure EVERYTHING.
No matter how big or small.
Cannot be able to move North , South, East, or West.
With proper equipment, not rope.

With the cost of rental equipment, tolls, driver, short weeks for holidays, etc., I’ve already given up on this deal.

There may be some profit, some weeks, but not worth my time.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
..Don't know about other states and hopefully it won't be an issue when we go state to state

Ya better figure things like that out before the enforcement community does it for you.

Just curious BUT If I was Harry homeowner moving cross country in a uhaul in effectively a similar truck (under CDL airbraked truck) THEY would NOT catch problems BUT If doing paid for hauling THAT in itself could cause me problems (in terms of the air brakes since airbrakes in VA in an under CDL truck does NOT require anything special BUT in OTHER states it MIGHT)?

Thanks

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A uhaul or similar truck, with your own stuff, with a rental contract, is a personal conveyance. If you get paid to haul someone else’s stuff, you’re a commercial operator.

I’ll let smarter people than me address the air brake issue.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a 2001 FL70 6-7 yrs ago,it has air brakes,seat & back axle.We haul our own stuff & have went 1,400 mi w/o any problems except they always want to give me a safety check in SD everytime!! I've never had a issue w/air brakes other than I have learned how to check & adjust them.You better too! Since it's under CDL no endorsement is brake is needed.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This will change.

Do big trucks generally strap all pallets ?

About the only thing I have regularly strapped (unless I can wedge them in somewhere) when doing UPS air freight are the big TV's if they're loose because it looks bad to have the boxes all fallen over on top of each other especially if they have wording on them to keep them upright.

My helper on occasion straps Amazon pallets if they look like they'll fall over (they are a pain to restack and the shrink wrap is not as strong / good as one would think / hope.

medium and short pallets I have never strapped...
Everything, and i mean everything must be secured!
Smh....