Which of these carriers are the best one to work f

kellmellus

Seasoned Expediter
If your happy with your company or heard another company is better please place you vote and state your reason.Example=pay,miles,people,Ins,Fsc,deadhead pay,bonuses, ect.

Landstar
Panther
CTX
Bolt
Express-1
Tri-State
Fed-Ex
UPS
if i missed a better carrier not listed please post it,if it is worthy.

My vote is Landstar because i have heard nothing bad about them .Everyone else i have heard positives and negatives about each one.But i do not see many landstar vans anywhere?so who knows

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
RE: Which of these carriers are the best one to wo

I would recommend you search previous posts concerning all companies you listed or maybe expand that list then figure which one will best suit your needs.

I’ve been with Landstar driving a D unit since January and have been thoroughly pleased with them in all areas. During this time I’ve meet van owners and all seemed satisfied with Landstar.

Good Luck

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I see you have ups on your list. From what I can gather there are slow about putting on new trucks. So they may not be an option unless you have time to wait to lease on. Another good company imo is transtewart. they are a small family owned company, and the whole time i was there i stayed busy. They are out of osseo,mi.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

My short list would be:

P2
X1
FX (only for teams)
Landstar
C&M
Bolt
Transtewart

in whatever order one wants to put them.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Squirrel 188

Seasoned Expediter

I spoke to a recuiter with ALL TYPES friday Oct 5th 07 . And he wanted to put me to work right away . In the first call he called me a smart lady .

Then I called him back with a few more questions.

And then he deciced to call me wishy washy I believe was his words. And then I think he backed up and said well its just that I have a good feeling about you .

And Now I'm just thinking about it for now. ( This guy )
I think he said this is because :

I have to move into a new being built house my first one in dec 07 .
And I simply wanted to know when they started back up after the holidays . If I change companys I want to have all my stuff in order.

So I can run with peace of mind . Not have to stop and say oh I need to not be available for this day and that for this and that you know.
I like to be dependable .

So since he may have thought I may not want to join his club in 2 days . He called me wishy washy . Shame on him . My Van is my personal van and I make the payments . And if I have a problem with someone it stops rollin right then. It wont move one more inch or mile until I say so . I wont be talked to like I'm a dog or like I'm a piece of property . The dog wags the tail not the tail wags the dog .

Squirrel 188

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter

So since he may have thought I may not want to join his club in 2 days . He called me wishy washy . Shame on him . My Van is my personal van and I make the payments . And if I have a problem with someone it stops rollin right then. It wont move one more inch or mile until I say so . I wont be talked to like I'm a dog or like I'm a piece of property . The dog wags the tail not the tail wags the dog .

Good for you. If you're treated like this upfront, what will it be like down the line?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

Unless someone has been with these companies listed,you cant compare,just because you have read one or the other has a problem.What may be a problem for one person may not be for another.
Where i'm leased I feel is the best,and I have been to others,but this company isnt perfect either. I make more money here than anywhere else ive been,but this doesnt mean this place is for everyone,it just fits my style of work.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I've ran for panther,tri state and transtewart. The only one out of the three I would consider going back to would be transtewart. If you want to work, and are a solo it's the place to be. From what I understand it hasn't changed from when I was there. You do your thing and as long as your load is delivered on time you won't have any problems out of anyone in the office. It's a small company. With that being said give them a little time to get to know you, and how you work. Once they figure that out they will start to really take care of you.

G

:) All Types..the worst scenario...stay away ...run:)))

F

fastlane_frt

I had something to add about All-Types Expediting, they want $95 up front to pay for a drug test, then you have to buy or have a GPS, the runs and schedule sounded fine but spending money like that is not for me. Would somebody come out and say it? what have they done that is so bad? I read the archive stuff and it just bets around the bush like a politition

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

[b[The following is an old answer I gave to a question similar to this one. The comments still apply[/b]

Not a week goes by that someone asks, "what's the best carrier with which to lease?"
A while back, Broompilot mentioned that there are 31 expedite carriers that advertise with ExpeditersOnline. A long while back, a respected leader in our business community said "Asking any individual what's the best carrier is like asking any individual 'what's the best ice cream flavor'".

While now sitting at a great (not) layover site, Asheville, NC, I realized the coincidence of those two statements. We have 31 carrier sponsors and Baskin Robbins has 31 original flavors. In the same manner that no one can quantify the best flavor of ice cream, no one can quantify the best expedite carrier. I like Chocolate, you like Vanilla and everyone else has their favorite. Then again, yesterday, I liked chocolate; today, Rocky Road is the best flavor

How would you even define the best?

Is it more revenue miles per year, every year? Is it the least deadhead miles? The most pay per revenue mile? How 'bout the friendliest dispatchers? Easy access to the carrier President? Highest FSC? Cheapest Qualcomm, insurance or other charges? Find your own freight capability? Strict adherence to safety regulations? Lax adherence to safety regulations? Nationwide freight? Regional Freight? Home every weekend? Keep you busy every weekend? Busier solos? Busier teams? Etc, Etc, Etc.

The best we can tell any aspiring expediter is to talk to as many recruiters, owners and/or drivers as necessary for you to determine which flavor is the best company for you. To aid you in determining the questions which will be helpful to make an informed decision, check out the following site’s information:

http://www.ooida.com/Swimming_sharks/help_list_owner_ops.html

kellmellus

Seasoned Expediter

This is what i heard about landstar from another driver that was passed on to me.Is this true?

PROS: Good rates, decent freight availibilty.

CONS: Way too many deadhead miles to get the freight; therefore, the
rate drops down to what I was running with another carrier, but my
previous carrier had 75% less deadhead miles. With Landstar I was driving at
least 80-150 miles after each drop off to get the next load. While
being stuck in Georgia for a week I looked at my books and the math told me
it was time to leave. Also, if you rub an agent the wrong way you can
forget freight offers from that agent.