Which company to choose

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Choosing the right company to sign on with is making me dizzy. So many factors to think about. So many options.

For those of you who have been in the business for a while, please give me your expert advice.

I will be driving as a team out of North Carolina. We will be out 2 to 3 weeks at a time, driving as hard as we can. I have a 24ft expediter with condo.

I have been in touch with CTX....not sure about them. I like what they have to offer, but I have seen some posts on this board about their settlement problems (not paying).

Here's what I would consider a good company to work for:
Weekly settlements
Percentage of load (70-73%)
No worries over the year of truck
Fuel surcharge
24 hour dispatch
Not alot of start-up costs
No weeks of hold on pay at start-up
Some deadhead miles paid

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Laura

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is my take on this.

There are a lot of companies out there.

Selecting one is about your needs, not the company needs.

Take your time and talk to as many as you can before considering any of them.

Read their ads, go to truck stops and ask questions.

Write a bunch of questions to ask, ask drivers and recruiters. Don’t be afraid to ask.

It is easy to fall for stuff that a recruiter will tell you, but a recruiter has a quota to fill, nothing else.

Many companies will fill your needs, but be flexible, no company is perfect.

Don’t forget, you will need a reserve.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it was me looking Today I would call all of the Carriers you see Advertised on EOL get all of there Driver Packets.Sit down and read them Front to back top to bottom. Write down any Questions call them back ask the Questions. Then make up my mind. Sleep on it for a day and if I felt the same Proceed foward to Signing on. Dont let anybody rush you if they can't wait till you make up your mind then they are not a company you want to work with.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Thank you all for your input....I am currently working on getting all the packages from the companies so I can start the mind boggleing task of going through it all.
Most of the things they tell you sound terrific, but I know they are just doing their jobs to get you to sign the dotted line. I just don't won't to be jumping from company to company.
If anyone has any insight into which companies to avoid please email me!!!!!!!! I would appreciate your honest opinions.
Thanks, Laura

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Living in North Carolina, I would look closely at Nations Express. We ran with them last year until the new HOS fiasco. They are a good company, pay well, and you'll have no trouble getting freight out of and into your area...

Best of luck in your endeavors.... :)

God Bless America

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Here's what I would consider a good company to work for:
>Weekly settlements
>Percentage of load (70-73%)
>No worries over the year of truck
>Fuel surcharge
>24 hour dispatch
>Not alot of start-up costs
>No weeks of hold on pay at start-up
>Some deadhead miles paid

I don't know of one company that puts all these items into a package. The items I think you'll have compromises on are percentage, if you go with a percentage company vs a per mile company, truck age and start up costs / pay time. Of the companies I'm familiar with that pay percentage it's in the 62% range. Some of the companies have a set rule on truck age and others will take them as long as they pass DOT inspection. Start up costs can usually be settlement deducted rather than paid up front but they need to be looked at closely. Most companies don't pay till paperwork is in and then it's 7-15 days after the paperwork is received so it could be 2-3 weeks to the first pay. In no particular order I'd look at Con-Way, Fedex, Express-1, and from what I've read recently TransStewart. Landstar is a good one but you must have 6 months minimum experience to get on with them. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
I have contacted most all of the companies that are sponsors of this forum. I have recieved some of their packages either by email or usps. I am still missing quite a few.
If anyone (Recruiters or O/O's!!) can send some info on these I would appreciate it:
Panther II
Epes Express
Allstate
Express One
Nations Express
Trans Stewart
DTH
Metro Express
We will be running my Expeditor Truck as a team.
We have almost 6 months of experience.
Contact me by email and I will be glad to give you my address or whatever is needed to gather this information.
Thanks to all for your time!!!!