Where's the best place to live.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
The cold Indiana winters are killing my wife, my teaching contract won't be renewed. (My program was cancelled due to $$$ problems. Our kids and their families are now scattered across the US of A. I'm planning on getting into expediting. This is a good time to relocate. Please give me suggestions on places to live that have nice weather year round, relatively low housing costs, and is close to freight lanes and a good mall. Thanks. :+ :+

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter
When I was seriously considering a move more centrally located to the freight lanes and warmer climate I got on google and did some searches for cost-of-living per state, got a lot of good info that way.

It's been too long ago now so I can't help you with a website or which states were the best choice.

As far as freight lanes and warmer climate go I would think the best would be along the I-40 corridor anywhere from Tennessee to the Carolinas. Any further south would be just a little tight for freight, any further north would be "anti-climatic" if ya know what I mean!

Let me know what you come up with, after 48 years Minnesota is starting to chill me to the bone.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nice year round is definitely Georgia. If you like sticky, go with NC LOL
There's plenty of freight down there if you're with the right company.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Hi, Plum.

Thanks. If it wasn't for my wife's rheumatiz in the winter, I'd stay put. I am about three minutes from I-69 in Indiana, and about ten minutes from I-70. I am located very close to Indy, Ft. Wayne, and Cincy. I'll get out my trusty US of A map and follow the route you have suggested and see where it leads. Thanks again. :+ :+

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've been told by some "Northerners" that they know that they have gone far enough South when someone ask "Why do you have an electrical
outlet on your car/truck/RV"? If they don't recognize a "block heater", maybe you've gone far enough.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm not the authority on cargo vans. I drive a D unit. I do agree with Rich that Knoxville is a great place. As I drive for Panther, anywhere in TN or GA would be a good spot, along with certain places in AL and MS. But all of those are with a straight truck.

Perhaps someone who's been running hard with a van could give some input.

Expediterman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Knoxville is the place to be!! My wife and I moved down here from Indy almost 2 years ago and love it here. The winters are mild but we do have the 4 seasons and it is a great city to live near. After just having our first dusting of snow the last couple of days it sure beats 28 inches of snow in Indy at Christmas. Plenty of freight for expediters and a great Freightliner dealership to boot!!

Jon Mosier,
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/fok_logo_jm.jpg
800-443-2324

-----------------------------------------
Cruising American Style...

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/960express.jpg

The 960 Express Cruiser
-----------------------------------------

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One area I have always liked is west of Knoxville where 40/75 split. Go down 75 a little bit ,turn east into Lenoir City area.Lots of lakes and nice communities in there. You are also close to Knoxville F/Liner.. Jon you owe me a free oil change for the plug.LOL:D :)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
KNOCK IT OFF JON....(LOL) I live in Murfreesboro Tn and freight's been good to me....but when I buy my first acterra I will drive to knoxville

Kitty Litter and Ms Puss;) ;) :) :)

Finn777

Expert Expediter
How about Pembina here in North Dakota. You can only go south where it is warmer for sure and not too far from Minneapolis for a real busy express center think about it!!:7