Where to start

rcoleman

Active Expediter
Hello everyone,

I've already posted in the welcome section but I have some questions.

I'm interested in expediting but don't know where to start.

I have a class B CDL, tanker no hazmat. I live in Alabama. I want to start with an owner first in a van or straight truck to learn the ropes and then possibly get my own truck in a few years.

I've driven all over the southeast but only on 1 day runs. I am married and my kids are almost grown. I have 1 that's a senior and 1 in the 11th grade. I am currently the warehouse manager for a local oil distributor. Not getting anywhere here so if there is money to be made, I want in.

What's the best way to get started? What owner/company? cargo van or straight truck? What's a good compensation plan? What expenses should I consider other than living on the road?

Thanks,

Rodney

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the forums. Read past post as far back as you can. Attend some of the EO seminars and/or Expo. Take your time. There is no rush.

My biggest concern I have is a kid in high school. You will have to be gone for long periods of time. Think on that.

Good luck!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Are you earning more than $20k including benefits? If yes then a van is out if you are trying to increase income.

Are you and your wife going to be a same household team? If no then I wouldn't drive a ST if you are earning more than $35k including benefits.

People may earn more than the figures I listed but you have to remember that you will be responsible for providing your own benefits and will be running 2 households which will make your basic expenses increase.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

rcoleman

Active Expediter
Are you earning more than $20k including benefits? If yes then a van is out if you are trying to increase income.

Are you and your wife going to be a same household team? If no then I wouldn't drive a ST if you are earning more than $35k including benefits.

People may earn more than the figures I listed but you have to remember that you will be responsible for providing your own benefits and will be running 2 households which will make your basic expenses increase.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

No I don't make 35K per year but I do make more than 20K so this might not work out for me. If I can't make at least 40 to 50K then I'll stay home.

Thanks for the input

armin88

Expert Expediter
No I don't make 35K per year but I do make more than 20K so this might not work out for me. If I can't make at least 40 to 50K then I'll stay home.

Thanks for the input

First year in the buzz your not going make more than $35k maybe $40k if you run hard and you drive for a good company.It is possible to make over $40k a year as a driver but you gotta have the right stuff like hazmat dept of defense clearance that's the only way to make real good money.There money to be made out there its not that hard to make a $1,000.00 plus a week but only works out if you know which loads to take and what areas to go in.With no prior experience only companies that will take you is Panther and maybe Fedex CC but they would want you you take a road test first.Once you got at lease 6-12 months experience more doors will open.I started with Panther I was with them for 9 months and left,now with my 9 months of experience I'm starting with another company in Jan.2013. Straight truck is the best way to go cargo van is okay but I personally can't find a good living driving a cargo van.

rcoleman

Active Expediter
First year in the buzz your not going make more than $35k maybe $40k if you run hard and you drive for a good company.It is possible to make over $40k a year as a driver but you gotta have the right stuff like hazmat dept of defense clearance that's the only way to make real good money.There money to be made out there its not that hard to make a $1,000.00 plus a week but only works out if you know which loads to take and what areas to go in.With no prior experience only companies that will take you is Panther and maybe Fedex CC but they would want you you take a road test first.Once you got at lease 6-12 months experience more doors will open.I started with Panther I was with them for 9 months and left,now with my 9 months of experience I'm starting with another company in Jan.2013. Straight truck is the best way to go cargo van is okay but I personally can't find a good living driving a cargo van.

Where can I get DOD clearance? I'm a Navy vet so that shouldn't be a problem and I can get a hazmat. Will Panther let me start on a straight truck solo? What if I don't have my own truck? Are there owners who will let me start solo in a straight truck or would it better to team with someone until I get more experience?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
It wont do much good to get your DoD clearance if you plan to run solo, as those loads require 2 drivers that have their clearances.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

bullwinkle37

Seasoned Expediter
well hello..if you have never done expedite you need to do alot of looking into before you cumit
i have been doing it for 16 years and you never know everything..first thing first if you speak to someone who tells you they know everything about the business get away from them the dont know anything.
two..i have worked for a few companies out there and you need to start with the company that will
help you..start out in a cargo van or sprinter just to see how it goes but if you want to do straight truck then go for it it pays alot more then a van..if you want to go with a good company panther would be a good one to start you journey with..also be careful with the owner operators out there
some are very bad....and there is some out there that will be great for you..if you are going to run solo make sure you have the money to eat on atleast 250.00 a week..for food and what else you need for that week..good luck and god bless....it is a great way to travel and get paid pretty good for it..but be willing to be out atleast 3 weeks at a time

armin88

Expert Expediter
make sure you have the money to eat on atleast 250.00 a week..for food and what else you need for that week.

$250 A week on food?That's $1,000 bucks a month,lol!There tons of Walmart's out there and spending $250 a week is nuts!Maybe $200 a month but no way $250 a week,I hope you meant to say to $250 a month cause if this guy wants to make money he'll be broke all the time,lol!