Where has everyone gone

G

I have noticed lately that more and more people are disappearing on this site. I used to come to this site on a daily basis seeking info about expediting. I dont get here as regularly but I get here as often as I can.

The number of posts have been shrinking and it appears that the number of people frequenting this site is going down too. I'm afraid that if this continues, this site will be no more. I hope this doesnt happen.

I understand that there has been alot of bickering and the such on here of late, is that the reason people are leaving? This site was the athority on expediting, and it would be a shame to lose the experienced expediters that guided the newbies who come here for guidance.

Driver for Owner/Operator
6 Months with Tri State
3 yrs OTR T/T Experience
Bear Lake, Michigan
45 miles S. of Traverse City

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At last count, there are 2,166 members registered in the Open Forum. You may recall that just a few weeks ago, a new milepost was reached when the membership exceeded 2,000. The 166 member increase from that point indicates not only growth, but an accelerated rate of growth over previous time periods. The Open Forum is not shrinking. It is growing at a record rate. Posting frequency by the members ebbs and flows. This may be one of the ebb periods.

Note too that the administrators and moderators have seen fit recently to delete a number of posts that do not comply with EO standards. The Open Forum growth rate indicates they are doing a good job and providing the quality control most people want.

That quality control in the Open Forum combined with the impressive array of original expediting content produced by EO and made available on the EO web site, in the Expedite Now magazine, at outreach conferences, at the Louisville truck show, and at EO's own Expedite Expo are drawing people into the EO community in record numbers. Lawrence and his staff have hit on a winning combination and it shows in the results EO is producing.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are correct, but the answer is incomplete. Over the years there have been a lot of expediters that quite frankly have gotten out of the business. In addition, many of the users are expediter want-to-be's that are here in search of information. Lastly, there are expediters that visit the site to gather information and comment infrequently.

Drive Safe

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Kswish, as you're around more, you'll see that the number of posts is constantly an ebb and flow. People pop in and reply when there is a major topic of dicussion, and then may sit back and simply read posts for several days til something catches their eye!

Those who have been around here for a while, know that this is normal! We know from the hit counts that people are still reading these forums tho!

Dreamer

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
Those are all excellent examples of the reason for less traffic on the forum and all are probably correct, including my own reason for not visting the site as often as I would like. Mainly the when we are running, we run very hard to maximise our revenue when the freight is out there. Sometimes we don't check e-mail or anything for two weeks.

BUT. I DON'T POST UNLESS I POSITIVLY CAN'T STOP MYSELF.

It's probably because I don't have as thick a skin as others on this site, ( my hat is off to A-TEAM. They keep coming back for more no matter how much flack they get) or the desire to defend the site even though I think it is the absolute best thing going.

WHAT I CAN'T STAND IS THE NAME CALLING, PETTY BICKERING, and PERSONAL
ATTACKS.

Some posters don't seem to be able to put themselves in the other persons shoes to see how their flaming afects someone eles feelings. Let's try to be good, decent, human beings. Be a Friend, Not a Foe.

Sorry, just couldn't stop myself.

gojack

Expert Expediter
I have noticed the same thing.

The membership numbers may be up
but I am sure that those numbers
are a lagging indicator.

If anyone knows where "everyone" is
let me know.

[email protected]

Updated:

Ok OK enough allready
I got the new hangout,
why am I always the last to know?
My parents move w/out telling me...

Thanks All
Shiny side up

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
I'm the same way when the freight is there run and run till u have 2 stop or till u hit a wall so to speak. the last month has been really good to me i know and this is only the second or third time i've been on in the last month or so with no lap top yet only check in when im at home or in buchannan, and only been home for about 5 or 6 hours total in the last month and in buchanan once or twice, cant afford the truck stop fee's for there crappy kiosk internet service.

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
To Kswish - Ken S. (Pardon the length)

<I have noticed lately that more and more people are disappearing on this site. I used to come to this site on a daily basis seeking info about expediting. I dont get here as regularly but I get here as often as I can.>

Ken,

I have to begin my response to your comments and concerns by thanking all of the members who presented their thoughts on whether the traffic on our forums has decreased.

I haven't checked the numbers on the amount of posts, but a cursory glance seems to show about the usual level of traffic during the mid-week period. If in fact the count is down, it's quite possibly due to the "ebb and flow" of a message board, as some of the posters have indicated.

Now, if you're looking for posts from some specific members, it's our understanding that some of our members have begun posting on a start-up web site, although it seems that they still post on our forums on occasion.

<The number of posts have been shrinking and it appears that the number of people frequenting this site is going down too. I'm afraid that if this continues, this site will be no more. I hope this doesnt happen.>

Ken, we truly appreciate your concern about our forums and the future of our modest web site. However, since we put this thing together six years ago, we have managed to weather the occasional "storm" and have been fortunate to experience continued growth. In fact, when we lost some regular visitors a couple of years ago, we were warned by some (mainly the departed themselves), that it was only a matter of time before our web site would unravel without their expertise and self-perceived popularity.

Well, obviously that didn't happen then and we don't foresee it happening now.

We feel that is because the EO Open Forums are much more than any one member, moderator or even group of visitors. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. This area of Expediters Online.com has always been an information destination - a place where the prospective, novice and experienced expediters can exchange their thoughts on "topics, subjects and issues" about the emergency freight business.

We have always regarded the Open Forums as a very important part of Expediters Online.com, but honestly, it's not our core business. In fact, when we first designed and built this Internet location, we were warned that, for a number of reasons, message boards on a commercial web site can be a liability. We ignored those warnings because we've always felt that the Open Forums are very important to our visitors and we've always taken a certain degree of pride in the way our members help one another on the Forums.

<I understand that there has been alot of bickering and the such on here of late, is that the reason people are leaving? This site was the athority on expediting, and it would be a shame to lose the experienced expediters that guided the newbies who come here for guidance.>

Sad, but true. We have all seen the personal attacks/flame wars that occur occasionally on every message board.

Sometimes we have to delete posts or lock whole threads when the comments or discussion get a little over the top and name-calling/flaming takes over. We don't apologize for it because we feel that it's in the best interest of our Forum members/visitors and because we feel that there is a "silent majority" of Forum visitors who don't care for the bickering and keyboard combat.

Ken, as far as being the "authority on expediting", we thank you for the kind words, but all credit has to go to the expediting community itself - the moderators, members, expedited carrier recruiters and visitors to Expediters Online.com's Open Forums.

Our current group of moderators, for example, has some of the most veteran, knowledgeable expediters in the business and it's always a pleasure to see them rise to the occasion to help a prospective expediter or even an experienced professional. It's equally gratifying when one or several members jump in to help a newbie looking for answers.

So Ken, we feel that fears of our passing might be premature. We hope that you and all the other members of EO's Open Forums stay here a long time and keep the boards busy with your helpful advice and knowledge.

Jeff Jensen, Editor

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Jeff Jensen...

I have enjoyed E/O for a short period of time compared to many who have been here for years. In six months the members have awarded my efforts to assist with 40 points, and I am proud of that accomplishment.

I have written letters to you, the moderators and to Lawrence regarding several topics and have received prompt answers from all. You have in davekc and RichM two of the most qualified and straightforward moderators in the industry. TerryandRene and Glen Rice are always on target with their replies and very diplomatic.

You mentioned that some of the more active members on this site have started posting with a “start-up” web site and I must admit that I am one of those as well as one who occasionally post here.

You stated in your post...
“We have always regarded the Open Forums as a very important part of Expediters Online.com, but honestly, it's not our core business. In fact, when we first designed and built this Internet location, we were warned that, for a number of reasons, message boards on a commercial web site can be a liability.”

This statement is exactly why some of us have begun working with the start-up site.
While only about 18% of your traffic is centered around the forums, and everone knows that the forums are not revenue producers, it is my contention that the forums are indeed the core of your business.

It is my belief that when a member post something negative regarding one of your advertisers, that it is a very short lived message. We all understand the reality of running a business, most who post here are O/O’s and independent contractors, and we all appreciate the fact that our revenue customers must be kept happy.

When however members are not allowed to make negative statements regarding an advertiser, you are then sacrificing your integrity and losing the very element of the basis that makes your website a success. If the forum members cannot express a complaint without it’s deletion, your forum then becomes nothing more than positives and invites other members to experience the same disappointing or unsatisfactory service or products from these advertisers, or questionable advice from another member.

It is also my experience that some who post here seem to have a purpose. That purpose is to accelerate the original post into a fire fight, with the sole purpose of having the entire thread deleted, when the posts of one member could have been deleted and the thread would have survived without a problem from any other member. On several occasions negative posts regarding an advertiser was torched.
On a few more, negatives regarding one of your editors received the same napalming.

While the new site may not have the reputation that EO has developed over the years, it is in fact a place where everyone may speak their minds without fear of deletion resulting from advertising or political interests.

Forum’s are supposed to be an open honest exchange of ideas and ideals between those who have something in common.

Let this post stand and you are on your way back to the old EO for which so many have expressed their desires. Delete it and you have proven my point.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I will keep this short and to the point. First, I want to say we are moving into the world of computers and the Internet and increasingly, people are finding other forums with a different view, than that of EO and the theme of the EO forums. It has always been the UNWRITEN policy that EO stands by their sponsors, and EO is what it is.

I could go on and on about this or that, but my main reason for posting to this particular thread is to ask those who are thinking of asking where everyone has gone to not do it on the air or in a post and for those wanting to post links to other sites to show some respect to EO and to also not do it on the air or in a post in the forums. Just the other day some posts were deleted because there were links to other forums and if you post a link to another forum it too may be removed. Show EO some respect!

poopookitty

Expert Expediter
With all due respect to EO, I think this whole thing is a little silly. Especially, freaking out and making long statements about ebb and flow and hit ratio. Really, what is your personal stake? I like this site too, but come on, why get so defensive over a simple question about the number of postings.

Secondly, to suggest sharing information about another expeditor forum hardly shows disrespect to anyone. It's not like anybody posted negative remarks about this site. Just that there is another site out there. Surely, even the EO, Editor who posted earlier in the thread realizes that EO doesn't have a strong-hold on trucking forums. People are entitled to share information and post anywhere they choose.

Some of your comments sound a little self-important. I think Mr. Jensen made it quite clear by stating that the forums are not the core of this business. Obviously, like most websites without products to sell, they rely on the advertising to generate a profit. Profit ya know that little thing we are all desperately trying to make every time we drive our trucks down the road. HELLOOO!

With regard to T. Robertson's post this may be why some of your threads/posts may have been removed, especially if they were inflammatory towards an EO advertiser/customer/client (i.e., one who helps pay the bills). Are you following me? I don't think I would risk insulting my customers and losing business just because someone wants to blow off some steam publicly. Or didn’t you notice these advertisers were trying to recruit new drivers? Wouldn’t it seem a little ridiculous to pay for advertising on a website where the forum members posted negatively about your company? One could even speculate that Jensen was putting it gently regarding the forum. They probably generate very few new hits, are really just an extra perk for interested parties already in the industry. On top of that they usually take more effort to run than the added site hits that they generate. The bottom line is EO will benefit from “the other” expediter site just as much as it benefits from EO. And lastly, you can’t run down any site’s advertisers and expect to keep your post in their forum. Now go post your little hearts out and play nice.

Ps. Sorry so long…

Have A Poopy Day!:+

gojack

Expert Expediter
I have to agree with Tom,

I am not as articulate as Tom but here goes..,

I will take it one step further.

I have seen something that seems to be simply dishonest on the EO forums.

And that is to allow all posts that are positive about your advertisers.
But to simply "vanish" every "too" negative comment about the same company(s).

I fully understand removing posts that violate a forum rule.

But what I have seen boils down to intentional deception by omission.

If EO is going to host a open forum, EO has an obligation
to post ALL the rules pertaing to posting, and then stick to them.

Anything else and it is clear that EO is only about their bottom line
and not about providing a service to the community they attest to serve.

That said I would like to thank the MANY people who have answered
my many questions, and the wealth of information I have gained from this site.

I really miss the "old crowd" and I wonder who will step-up to fill their shoes.

It is very sad that it only takes a couple 'bad apples' (for lack of a better phrase)
to spoil - what has been a truely great community.

Dave

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well I have to disagree with the posts that state EO will not allow anything negative to be said about their advertisers.

At one time a company called All Types advertised on this site and I believe they were also had a booth at the last Expo in Detroit.

In the archives of the Newbies forums are several posts regarding the difficulties and costs encounted by contracting to this company.

As a result the management of EO after digesting and verifying these complaints removed All Types as a advertiser.

The main problems that have occurred on the forums over the last 6 months have been disagreements between various members that escalated and got out of hand.I personally would more then welcome all of the members who no longer post.Your expertise and EXPERIENCE was and could be again a asset to EO and potential new individuals contemplating getting into this dynamic industry. I would like to think all of us that have many years in the industry can rise above the baiting that comes from relatively new individuals with limited backgrounds. So think about it,Tony good to see your name again.

Other Expediting sites certainly have their right to exist and we can all gain from them but face it,EO started this site on a wing and a prayer and it is successfull and I am proud to think that in a small way I may have contributed. We have good people here and we all know it. See you all at MATTS I hope.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What is all the fuss about?

EO provides a place for us to discuss the problems and opportunities in the Expedite business. I think they do a good job of it.

The forums are not a place to sling mud at companies or drivers.

The internet is a big place. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, go somewhere else.

Bob and Hooligan

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
First, I would like to thank everyone for their professionalism in this thread. Everyone has stated their opinions, without resorting to name calling an mudslinging. Thank you.

Second, as Rich said, a company was indeed removed recently due to the number of complaints. Comments are removed for various reasons, left up to the disgression of the moderator, or administrator who removed them. I personally have never removed a comment about a company. My 'pet peeve area' as it were, is the mudslinging toward each other that we see!

As for advertising another site on this one...

Well, remember this site is part of a larger business, On Time Media Inc. As such, advertising a competing site, (one competing for the same advertisers and/or customers) is not only rude, it is not allowed.

Think about it.. do you see ads for Burger King inside a McDonalds? While people are welcome to go to whichever one they prefer, you don't advertise one inside the other.

I think we're moving past the events of a few weeks ago, and moving forward. I hope all the people who have contributed so much over the past months, and indeed years for some, will continue to do so.

Thanks again everyone,

Dreamer

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>Well I have to disagree with the posts that state EO will
>not allow anything negative to be said about their
>advertisers.

First I'd like to say to you Rich, that I have always considered you a friend but just my appearance on this thread should bring to mind some past problems that make your above statement simply not true.

My friend, you're writing as though you were not there, that you did not witness what my husband and I went through with a certain advertiser of this web site. While being accused of having agenda, our desire was ONLY to save our fellow expediters the same grief and HUGE loss of money that we incurred while dealing with this advertiser, the end result being that we learned a lesson about honesty and integrity losing out to the almighty dollar, with a worse result of this company STILL doing business dishonestly and in some cases illegally.

We believe that forums should be all about each of us helping one another and sometimes in order to do that, one has to be ALLOWED to post their negative experiences in order to WARN others not to take the same path. I personally would never post anything that I cannot back up with proof in writing, thus allowing the advertiser to counterpost with their response. While it's a shame that this is not allowed everywhere, that's just the way it is. Sometimes we have to choose another path to spread the information that needs to be out there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of the above comes down to "delivery". Alot of the mudslinging is what had removed many threads and posts. I am probably more out spoken than most, and some of it can be negative. There is a difference between that mudslinging, and constructive criticism. I applaud EO in the fact that they have never removed a post of mine, even when critical of a company. I have only done this when I have had very specific facts ect. It clearly doesn't mean others failed to provide facts. It has more to do with the way they were presented. I can only provide my experience with this, and not what happened since I became a member.

I do hope the folks that were "absent" for a short while continue to return, whether they visit other sites or not. Many have quite alot to offer to the EO community.

Constructive criticism is essential to all of the carriers. If they were the perfect carrier, everyone would be driving for them. The whole purpose of a forum is to exchange ideas, both positive and negative.
Just my opinion
Davekc
owner
20 years

G

I am one who posted a link to another site on this forum recently.
Here is a link to that thread: http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/2639.html

You will see that there were 4 other replies to the original post and 3 of those had links to websites other than EO. Each of those sites have message forums and sponsors that could possibly b competition to EO.

My question would be, why is it that others are allowed to post links, but my post was deleted within minutes of being posted. You can see for yourself, the other posts and links remain untouched.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Expediters Online- Please remove my membership from your website, as I could not do so myself. This should effectively bring your membership (dead or alive) down to 2165.

"Thank You,That quality control in the Open Forum combined with the impressive array of original expediting content produced by EO and made available on the EO web site, in the Expedite Now magazine, at outreach conferences, at the Louisville truck show, and at EO's own Expedite Expo are drawing people into the EO community in record numbers. Lawrence and his staff have hit on a winning combination and it shows in the results EO is producing."

Proof Please....

Mark F. "Weave" Palmer