Where do I start after buying a van?

BeemIt45

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hello everyone. So after a year of driving a ford transit for a office furniture company, I got fired. I really liked driving and having a little more freedom than being stuck in a warehouse all day. I don't want drive anyone's van, I want to invest in my own. Once invested, where do I start? I am more interested in OTR driving. I have about 40k to invest in. And no I don't want to invest in a big rig. That's too much for me to handle. Any help would be much appreciated!

Reactions: John49

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First, before you spend more than the cost of a cup of coffee, you read back a minimum of 4 years here in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums. You don't have to read every single word. You do have to read every single thread title and whenever any one of them seems like it might be the least bit educational and helpful you do read every word of it. That's equivalent to going to university and getting your basic expediting degree. Then you'll know enough to know what you don't know yet and what to ask about. That's the part equivalent to getting your Master's degree.

Then, your smartest move, would be driving for an owner for a few months. You will learn a GREAT deal during that time of how expediting really works, what waiting for days inside a walk in closet feels like etc. and whether it's really what you want to do. If so, buy your van and get to work with a MUCH stronger foundation. If not, you haven't lost 1/2 your money in high mileage and depreciation on a van.

BeemIt45

Rookie Expediter
Researching
That's what I've been doing. A lot of information on here. Just thought I'd ask. And would investing in a van then driving for a company be smart too? I just like having my own van and can do what ever I want to it.

Reactions: John49

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You'll want to sign on with a large-ish, reputable carrier. But before you buy a van you need to find out if any reputable carriers are even taking on any vans. If they're not that means the only ones who are taking on vans are the disreputable carriers. Caveat emptor.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's what I've been doing. A lot of information on here. Just thought I'd ask. And would investing in a van then driving for a company be smart too? I just like having my own van and can do what ever I want to it.

You can do whatever you want of course but the first many weeks out are heavy duty learning experiences. Why do that with a van payment and depreciation hanging over your head? If you wind up not liking it what are you going to do with a 6 month old van with 3 or more years worth of mileage on it?

And as Turtle said, be sure you are with a good company. If I were going back out I'd be looking at Load-1, Landstar, Fedex and Panther and the L's would get preference.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Landstar i believe still requires you to get a class b cdl for the hazardous materials that sometimes have to be moved.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Landstar i believe still requires you to get a class b cdl for the hazardous materials that sometimes have to be moved.
I might be mistaken but I think it's class C same with FXCC. I gotta imagine a reportable quantity hazmat load for a van would be super rare though.

Anyway to OP, obviously you can make more money having your own van, but it will be worth it to you to drive for a owner first. Learn how every works, foot in the door, see if you even wanna commit to it long term....

Unless you have enough money saved to buy a van + initial operating expenses and don't mind the hassle of reselling it if it doesnt work out.

Also, with this whole pandemic thing going on maybe good time to get experience from driving for fleet owner and plan on a purchase when freight improves.