Where am I wrong?

Don2554

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Been doing my "research", as everyone keeps telling the new people to do, and want to throw out what I have gleaned from all the nonsense that gets thrown around on the forums for the new people to spend hours upon hours sifting through to get just the basic questions answered.

If I can stay on the road a few weeks to a few months at a time, if I can keep from flipping out if I have to sit a few days without a load, if I have cash in the bank to cover that blown tire or punctured radiator, if my expenses (i.e. van payment, insurance payment, fuel cost, maintenance fund, deadhead and relocation expenses) are less than my rate per mile 'times' miles traveled, and if I don't die in a fiery crash, I have a chance to make a few dollars a month.

Just investigating the possibilities. Do I have the general idea here?

Where am I wrong?

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The main thing to keep in mind: you are the only one in control, just showing up means nothing, and even if you do everything right you could fail.

Basically people wander in from other walks of life and expect a paycheck, it doesn't exist. You can only position yourself to take advantage IF you are needed, and used.

Big adjustment for most. I sometimes forget myself, people expect to be paid for their time because they exist. This, isn't that

(Oh and I think u got it, that post sounded mildly pessimistic :p)

Don2554

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Thank you all for the responses! I am currently an O/O in a big truck and have been doing this for a while now. So, the dealing with breakdowns, sitting while waiting for a load worth taking to show up on the load board and general life on the road are all things I know. It wouldn't be a big lifestyle change for me...except you guys don't have the Govn't telling you to Stop after 11hrs...that can be good and bad..lol.

I'm seeing the Plus side of expediting being the freedom that comes from not being tied to the truck stops. Yes, truck stops have the showers and laundry services but trying to go to the mall or out for a decent dinner at a place or even the movie theater is tough if you are tied to that big rig. Hell, even going to Walmart is a major headache! And your repair cost for common stuff like tires..was it Big D that just said he replaced all 4 tires for $600? That's how much 1 of my tires costs and I have 10 on my tractor. And quite honestly I know there is greater potential in the big trucks, but there is also soooo much more expense and risk. Risk in cost of equipment failure and repairs eating away any and all profits to the point of putting you out of business. Risk of being shut down by the DOT for, well, everything. Risk climbing in and out of the trailer and the cab. I'm just kinda tired of the whole thing really.

I see expediting as an easier life, doing the same thing I'm already doing. Don't get me wrong, not saying expediting is easier, it just seems like it is, at the core, the same thing i'm already doing, only on a bit smaller, easier to deal with scale WITHOUT all the Govn't hassles. Less Money too, but then again, proportionally less expenses.

So if I can take home the same money I make now with a lot less hassles and much more freedom while doing it, Why am I not doing it now??
(Quick! Someone tell him there are already too many drivers.!!)

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The simple solution is go where there aren't too many drivers.

I can reposition my sprinter for $10 an hour in fuel...that's a lot of hwy miles...try that in a TT

Reactions: Treadmill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The most difficult adjustment someone coming from general trucking into expediting, particularly van expediting is, the sitting. People swear up and down that they know what to expect and they're prepared for it, but they never are.

I've sat in Tulsa for 8 days waiting on a load, and then finally got one to OK City. Then 3 days later got one to Joplin. There are other times when all you're doing is running one load after the other and trying to get some sleep management happening. Then, suddently, you sit for a week.

Part of that is the irregular, emergency nature of expediting. And part of it is, yes, the lower barrier for entry into van expediting means far more vans than there are van loads. So like someone else said, you want to be where everyone else isn't. If you're in KC and there are 18 other vans in the area, and there are 2 or 3 loads a day going out of there, well there ya go.

It depends on the carrier you are with, too. If you're with a decent carrier, you will often get loaded or ahead of the pack, because the carrier had its own customer base or has preferential treatment over the others. If you're on your own and not leased on with a carrier, then it's kind of like raw chicken day at the alligator park.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have talked with many tt drivers that have changed over to expediting in a smaller vehicle and the one thing consistant with most was getting used to running a load straight through over night and then deliver the next morning or day.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe that there’s only so much a person can be told without some form of experience. I’d even go so far as to say that after driving for a fleet owner for 6 months I maybe understood 50% of what people talk about on this forum.

The reason it’s hard to get answers is often because the questions are really stupid. It’s like asking a mechanic what’s the best wax to make their engine last longest.

Just find a fleet owner, go out and do the job. If you like it, THEN take the next step. The End.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been doing my "research", as everyone keeps telling the new people to do, and want to throw out what I have gleaned from all the nonsense that gets thrown around on the forums for the new people to spend hours upon hours sifting through to get just the basic questions answered.

If I can stay on the road a few weeks to a few months at a time, if I can keep from flipping out if I have to sit a few days without a load, if I have cash in the bank to cover that blown tire or punctured radiator, if my expenses (i.e. van payment, insurance payment, fuel cost, maintenance fund, deadhead and relocation expenses) are less than my rate per mile 'times' miles traveled, and if I don't die in a fiery crash, I have a chance to make a few dollars a month.

Just investigating the possibilities. Do I have the general idea here?

Where am I wrong?

Once you've got the business side expenses covered, you are now have to ring up all of your personal expenses. Thing like mortgage, rent, insurance, car payment, etc....

There are actually 2 major expenses that you need to cover, personal and business.

Project your total monthly personal and business expenses. Then, estimate the total average monthly income gross(you can use 6 months income gross to get the monthly average). Subtract.

Last I heard, the "average" annual cargo van gross was in the high 40K. Of course, I could be wrong. Subtract, then LOL...or cry.

.........❤

Reactions: Treadmill and Solar

D1964

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thank you all for the responses! I am currently an O/O in a big truck and have been doing this for a while now. So, the dealing with breakdowns, sitting while waiting for a load worth taking to show up on the load board and general life on the road are all things I know. It wouldn't be a big lifestyle change for me...except you guys don't have the Govn't telling you to Stop after 11hrs...that can be good and bad..lol.

I'm seeing the Plus side of expediting being the freedom that comes from not being tied to the truck stops. Yes, truck stops have the showers and laundry services but trying to go to the mall or out for a decent dinner at a place or even the movie theater is tough if you are tied to that big rig. Hell, even going to Walmart is a major headache! And your repair cost for common stuff like tires..was it Big D that just said he replaced all 4 tires for $600? That's how much 1 of my tires costs and I have 10 on my tractor. And quite honestly I know there is greater potential in the big trucks, but there is also soooo much more expense and risk. Risk in cost of equipment failure and repairs eating away any and all profits to the point of putting you out of business. Risk of being shut down by the DOT for, well, everything. Risk climbing in and out of the trailer and the cab. I'm just kinda tired of the whole thing really.

I see expediting as an easier life, doing the same thing I'm already doing. Don't get me wrong, not saying expediting is easier, it just seems like it is, at the core, the same thing i'm already doing, only on a bit smaller, easier to deal with scale WITHOUT all the Govn't hassles. Less Money too, but then again, proportionally less expenses.

So if I can take home the same money I make now with a lot less hassles and much more freedom while doing it, Why am I not doing it now??
(Quick! Someone tell him there are already too many drivers.!!)
After driving 1000 miles straight all night, what " freedom " can I have next day)) freedom to sleep in my van, feeling dead tired, to take another load and drive again. I am female, expediting for 1 year. My kids are grown, live in Europe, I took this job as adventure, to see country, but now I feel burned out. To much afford for not enough money. Honestly, I don't know how people paying mortgage and everything doing this business, the rates are low and so much competition.. Not worth.

biggs1303

New Recruit
Researching
The most difficult adjustment someone coming from general trucking into expediting, particularly van expediting is, the sitting. People swear up and down that they know what to expect and they're prepared for it, but they never are.

I've sat in Tulsa for 8 days waiting on a load, and then finally got one to OK City. Then 3 days later got one to Joplin. There are other times when all you're doing is running one load after the other and trying to get some sleep management happening. Then, suddently, you sit for a week.

Part of that is the irregular, emergency nature of expediting. And part of it is, yes, the lower barrier for entry into van expediting means far more vans than there are van loads. So like someone else said, you want to be where everyone else isn't. If you're in KC and there are 18 other vans in the area, and there are 2 or 3 loads a day going out of there, well there ya go.

It depends on the carrier you are with, too. If you're with a decent carrier, you will often get loaded or ahead of the pack, because the carrier had its own customer base or has preferential treatment over the others. If you're on your own and not leased on with a carrier, then it's kind of like raw chicken day at the alligator park.

OMG, 'raw chicken day at the alligator park', ROTFL!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using EO Forums mobile app