When you buy a used truck, CHECK IT OUT GOOD

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am glad the Sterling we sold you is working out well. It was a good truck for us why we had it. It was purchased new so we knew everything that was done and all of the maintenance was always completed on schedule.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am glad the Sterling we sold you is working out well. It was a good truck for us why we had it. It was purchased new so we knew everything that was done and all of the maintenance was always completed on schedule.

Dave we haven't had any problems with the truck we bought from you. Very well kept truck and would buy another one from you anytime.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave we haven't had any problems with the truck we bought from you. Very well kept truck and would buy another one from you anytime.

Good deal. Will likely have some available this spring. Never know if something will break but I do know how they are maintained. No penny pinching here when it comes to that.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Good deal. Will likely have some available this spring. Never know if something will break but I do know how they are maintained. No penny pinching here when it comes to that.

Will they be CARB Compliant ?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Just remember now Dave that we opened Mayfield Truck Repair LLC up. We just hired another mechanic from the Marine Corps. This young man is a good one and we have stopped taking stuff to TA because we hired him.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Just remember now Dave that we opened Mayfield Truck Repair LLC up. We just hired another mechanic from the Marine Corps. This young man is a good one and we have stopped taking stuff to TA because we hired him.

That has to be a major "Good Move !"
Although TA overall has pretty good shops I can't understand how they can be saddled with the sole responsibility to maintain a fleet.
Particularly when the driver may not be experienced enough to check the work.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
That has to be a major "Good Move !"
Although TA overall has pretty good shops I can't understand how they can be saddled with the sole responsibility to maintain a fleet.
Particularly when the driver may not be experienced enough to check the work.

very few of them in our opinion. parts changers for the most part and overpriced as well. in an emergency or as a last option we use them but we explore all other options before doing so. same with dealerships. we have had great success with private shops. when the truck has to be repaired on the road we will google trucking companies, coke and beer distributors in the local are where we are and call and ask them who they use. have had good luck with getting good local shops doing it this way. whrn its an emergency though, you kinda have to do what you have to do.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Ok, that is good to know when up in that area.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
very few of them in our opinion. parts changers for the most part and overpriced as well. in an emergency or as a last option we use them but we explore all other options before doing so. same with dealerships. we have had great success with private shops. when the truck has to be repaired on the road we will google trucking companies, coke and beer distributors in the local are where we are and call and ask them who they use. have had good luck with getting good local shops doing it this way. whrn its an emergency though, you kinda have to do what you have to do.

Tom that is good advice for other drivers. I opened Mayfield Truck Repair back up because I'm sick of paying high prices to get small repair done. We aren't going to mark parts up almost 50% like TA does. We will ask our vendors to give us a discount on parts if they want our business. So far we use one shop for most of our parts as nobody can beat their parts pricing.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
Use www.rigdig.com which can provide very important information like Carfax but also includes things like roadside inspection results so you will know if it was properly maintained. You can get 3 reports for $50 which is nothing compared to the money it can save you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Just wanted to mention that carfax apparently works with Freightliners system, not sure about other manufacturers. I was all set to buy a very clean, older, low mileage tractor yesterday. The truck looks and seemed to meet the dealers claimed mileage and is in great shape.
On a whim I put the vin into carfax and it told me it had 10 records available. I figured what the heck, what's another $54 for 5 carfax reports? SURPRISE! From what I can tell the truck actually has 300k to 400k more miles than the odometer reads...
The carfax report showed several dealer service records, state emissions and inspections, and that the truck had the injectors replaced 500k miles ago, not 100k miles ago. This report could have just saved me an in-frame in the near future! Worst part is, this truck is on a Freightliner dealers lot, they should know this already. Buyer beware! Now I need to check out this rig dig site!