When the FBI comes calling.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
A stern looking young man in a black trench coat rang my doorbell about noon today. He introduced himself as a Special Agent with the FBI and wanted to ask a few questions about a young man of my acquaintance who was seeking a special national security clearance related to advancement through the ranks of federal employment. I invited the federal agent into my home. I had known for several days he was coming.

My young friend in question, age 27 years old, is advancing quickly in his government work but has reached a plateau where extra scrutiny is required. My young friend had listed me as a personal reference and I was happy to oblige his request to meet with the federal agent for a few minutes.

Questions ranged about my knowledge concerning my friend's hobbies, associations, finances, family tranquility, demeanor, aptitude, quirks or anomalies. Then came questions asking if I had any reason to believe my friend would ever be disloyal to the United States. Then, was I aware of any reason my friend could be subject to blackmail? Of course, my young friend is an exemplar of moral rectitude and I told the agent as much.

The interview ended with a handshake and my admonition to drive safely. As the unassuming sedan with U.S. government plates drove away, I was struck by the irony of how so many of our elected politicians could not survive this gauntlet-like inquiry into their personal lives.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF that agent was doing his job YOU would have been checked out as well. When I got my clearances they checked out my references and sometimes another layer deep below that. Few politicians could pass a real security clearance background check. None of our presidents could have for a long time.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
IF that agent was doing his job YOU would have been checked out as well. When I got my clearances they checked out my references and sometimes another layer deep below that. Few politicians could pass a real security clearance background check. None of our presidents could have for a long time.

I sensed the agent had already done his homework about myself. The agent had called me last Friday to ask if I would agree to meet and answer questions about my friend. The guy looked straight out of central casting: black wing-tip shoes, black tie, white shirt, black trenchcoat, military style haircut.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
My fiancé is that person who does those background checks for fed gov clearances. Digging and digging into those backgrounds.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I sensed the agent had already done his homework about myself. The agent had called me last Friday to ask if I would agree to meet and answer questions about my friend. The guy looked straight out of central casting: black wing-tip shoes, black tie, white shirt, black trenchcoat, military style haircut.

IF he was doing his job he did. When I got my clearances for the Agency they had to send a person to every duty station I was at when I was in the Army, including Japan. A proper clearance costs a LOT of money and can take months.

I doubt there are many politicians who could pass that kind of spotlight on their past.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

President's and such sure are privy to a lot of information,to not have a clearance.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I cannot think of any immediate reason why Jimmy Carter could not have obtained a top level national security clearance. While not liking his politics, he was widely acknowledged as morally upright and free of personal scandal.

Likewise with Reagan, the first George Bush and Gerald Ford. Politics aside, these were solid men.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
President's and such sure are privy to a lot of information,to not have a clearance.

NO way could Clinton, Bush II or Obama have gotten a clearance to see what they worked/are working with. Neither could Hillary. MAYBE Romney, not sure. Bush one likely did. Carter DID get on on his own merits. Carter is the last one I can say for sure passed a REAL TS background check.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

NO way could Clinton, Bush II or Obama have gotten a clearance to see what they worked/are working with. Neither could Hillary. MAYBE Romney, not sure. Bush one likely did. Carter DID get on on his own merits. Carter is the last one I can say for sure passed a REAL TS background check.

Don't know about Reagan or Ford. NO presidential candidate is cleared BEFORE they run and after they are elected it is too late. It takes 6 months, a year or longer to get that done.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I would be concerned if any future presidential candidate had to pass a government background check as an prerequisite .

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would be concerned if any future presidential candidate had to pass a government background check as an prerequisite .

jimmy

I am more concerned that they are not. Why would it be a bad idea to insure that a candidate is of good character, not aligned with a foreign power, has no criminal record or things in his/her/it's background that could lead to blackmail?

In other words, keeping the scum out.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I am more concerned that they are not. Why would it be a bad idea to insure that a candidate is of good character, not aligned with a foreign power, has no criminal record or things in his/her/it's background that could lead to blackmail?

In other words, keeping the scum out.

Who does the investigation ? What might they do with the results ?

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who does the investigation ? What might they do with the results ?

jimmy

It depends on who is requesting the clearance, as in what agency. The results? Depends on what you mean. I would say that the voter should know what they are getting for their vote. Who they are hiring. At LEAST a "pass" would be required to run. We, as voters, have a right to know whether the person running for office is trust worthy or not. Just voting on looks, lies or who spent the most money is not working. We are getting low life, low mentality, scum running now.

I don't see where making someone who is going to handle highly classified information AFTER they are elected get a clearance is any less important than clearing those who produce that product, MAYBE even stricter requirements since they would have access to everything, not just limited access.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
It depends on who is requesting the clearance, as in what agency. The results? Depends on what you mean. I would say that the voter should know what they are getting for their vote. Who they are hiring. At LEAST a "pass" would be required to run. We, as voters, have a right to know whether the person running for office is trust worthy or not. Just voting on looks, lies or who spent the most money is not working. We are getting low life, low mentality, scum running now.

I don't see where making someone who is going to handle highly classified information AFTER they are elected get a clearance is any less important than clearing those who produce that product, MAYBE even stricter requirements since they would have access to everything, not just limited access.

Reread your reply. I thought you meant as a prerequisite for eligibility to run for President.

Blackmail was one issue that came to mind , not necessarily a foreign power . There were many allegations against J. Edgar Hoover . Who would you trust with running this investigation ?

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reread your reply. I thought you meant as a prerequisite for eligibility to run for President.

Blackmail was one issue that came to mind , not necessarily a foreign power . There were many allegations against J. Edgar Hoover . Who would you trust with running this investigation ?

jimmy

I have not been in the business for a long time. I am not even sure who is doing them now. It just needs done. Clinton is a PRIME example of why. His "monkey business' left him WIDE open for blackmail. Women and drugs were often used by the Soviets to lure in the weak of character. Once caught they then used them. Same can be said for excessive debt.