Wheels

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
ReName?

Shouldn't this thread be renamed Tires? It's named wheels but I always thought that wheels were those metal thingys in the center of the tires . . .

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: ReName?

Shouldn't this thread be renamed Tires? It's named wheels but I always thought that wheels were those metal thingys in the center of the tires . . .

LOL!! This thread as morphed as threads often do. I started it with questions on wheels then it moved on. Now, while talking with my wife, I found out that she MAY have given me the miles on the steers and NOT the drives. More later.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you are rite they are an all position tire. as an all position tire they wont get the mileage that a true drive tire will. figuring out cost per tire mileage per fuel economy can get exhausting and complicated. as i stated, get a tire with good tread depth and the lowest rolling resistance you can. i think there may be a link to tire rolling resistance on the lets truck website. www.letstruck.com but not sure. a competent tire dealer should have or be able to get you this info.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
you are rite they are an all position tire. as an all position tire they wont get the mileage that a true drive tire will. figuring out cost per tire mileage per fuel economy can get exhausting and complicated. as i stated, get a tire with good tread depth and the lowest rolling resistance you can. i think there may be a link to tire rolling resistance on the lets truck website. www.letstruck.com but not sure. a competent tire dealer should have or be able to get you this info.

I am starting on this project now for a June replacement date. Thanks for your help.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just for info, this tire shop i use has a cnc programed wheel refinisher. it will resurface and then high polish aluminum rims. takes about a 30-60 min. per wheel start to finish for 50-75.00 per wheel. pm me if anyone wants info, located south of effingham, il. right off i-57

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the link Rocket. I'm OK on the front, 102, not so much on the rear, 161.

OUCH! Actually, I'm not so sure that the rolling resistance effects our straight trucks as much as it does a t/t, but you can find reasonably priced tires with a decently low rolling resistance. The Michelins are probably the best by far, but the Bridgestone M720 and the Continental HDL-A are also worth looking at as drive tires.

Another note: If you have any kind of Pilot/FlyingJ fuel account, you probably have membership in the PDCA program. It could be very much worth your time to check into their savings. I think some tires will have very little savings through PDCA while others have significant savings. You just gotta check.