wheel bearings Savana/chevy express

marty6731

Expert Expediter
Can anyone tell me how you can tell that a wheel bearing in a cargo van is going? I hear a slight grinding noise when I turn slightly to the left and when I straighten out the wheel the noise goes away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Marty

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
if it was a wheel bearing, you hear a constant rumblegoing down the road, and in extreme cases, excessive negitive wheel camber. I would have your ball joints and front end bushings inspected as well

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
You better get to a good mechanic that you trust and fast. If it is a late model express van you might want to stop at the bank first. You can not replace the wheel bearing, you must replace the entire hub assembly

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my 03 Savanna 2500 I've repalced one side so far at 300,038 miles it started as a Slight Whine then as it got worse the ABS LIght came on and when it was checked thats when I found out it was the bearing, cost was 138.00 for the Assembly and about a hour in the Driveway. The Other side is Still Original.at 336,878 Miles

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
fastman_1 When you say assembly, are you talking about the wheel bearing assembly, or the hub assembly? My 2006 3500 requires that the entire hub asembly be changed.

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
Yes what you descibed could be a early bearing problem.When I had the 04 aro cell the assy which is the hub,bearings seals ABS sensor studs is one unit,coat about $400 for my dualy just for the part,plus brake mounting bolts which almost always strip comming out.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Marty, check out the thread titled "GM Wheel Bearings" I dredged up.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
if it was a wheel bearing, you hear a constant rumblegoing down the road, and in extreme cases, excessive negitive wheel camber. I would have your ball joints and front end bushings inspected as well

Not necessarily....On my 98 Dodge...I felt it by turning the wheel slightly..straight ahead was smooth. Cause....woren out SPINDLE!!! Was undersized by 7/1000ths of an inch on the shoulder where the race/raise sits....Now whoever replaces a spindle?....Expediters with over 500k thats who.