What's up with Favre

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I can't figure this guy out. He retires and now he says he wants to play some more and he is getting upset because his old team doesn't want him back. I can't say that I blame them. I also can't blame them for not releasing him to go elsewhere. It would be weird to see him wearing a non Green Bay jersey.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
brett retired. no one held a gun to his head or his family hostage afaik. retiring was his decision. brett, learn to live with your decisions.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing you are a Green Bay fan as well. I agree with you. I hated to see him, but I thought he had a good year this past season and was leaving on a pretty high note. I was starting to think the Pack was going to get the Super Bowl and then he would for sure retire and he would be working as a commentator for Fox this up coming season. Guess not. He might of been thinking that, and found out they didn't want him either. As far as people go he's still a young guy, but for football he's getting up there.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
He's pushing 40, but he still has the mentality of a kid. It's what Brett wants, WHEN Brett wants; and to hell with the team. Brett's been that way since he started slipping in his game (after Holmy left). Right now, I think he wants ATTENTION more than to play. And look! He's getting plenty of it!

NFL = National Favre League

Please stay retired, Brett. Go drive a truck or something.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ark, i am trying hard to be offended. i am not a packer fan. brett favre said the words. i want to retire. he had three years on a contract he decided he would not honor. then he wanted to come back and maybe with another team. anyteam is better with brett favre at the controls but there is a time when you have to move on. he prolly could not say....this team is not going in the direction i like so trade me. well since ted t did not interview mooch for the job last year maybe that was when brett should have spoken.

anyway the bears beat them twice last year with brett and he was terrible at the last game. he was bad in his last gb game. maybe bad is on its way to being bretts friend. all i know is i would not want to be a gm and give up a lot for bf and have him be bad.

blueblooddog

Seasoned Expediter
He's beginning to lose his competitive edge. It happens to athletes at some point do to age or wear and tear by the sport.The body doesn't recuperate as fast and it slows down.
He was "burned out" at the end of last season and the desire of everyday meetings and training to play doesn't appeal to him that much. After the playoffs all he probably wanted to do is go fishing day after day. Then at some point he probably got bored of fishing and the desire to get back into the action returned.

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
Brett Favre was traded tonight to the NY Jets. Wouldn't it be great if they turned around and traded him to Minnesota? Not saying it would/could happen but what if?

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Brett Favre was traded tonight to the NY Jets. Wouldn't it be great if they turned around and traded him to Minnesota? Not saying it would/could happen but what if?

I hope you get your wish. It is reported in the Vikings - TwinCities.com that if the Jets send him to the Vikings, the Packers get 3 #1 draft choices from the Jets.
I think Brett retired because he was useless in the championship game. He can get you to the championship, but when it gets cold, he can't handle it.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
It's obvious this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he's got the maturity level of a teenager to boot. His best playing days are behind him, and if he had just retired last year and kept his mouth shut he would have a legacy as one of the best QBs ever and a sure-fire hall-of-famer. The networks would have paid him plenty to be an analyst, and probably still will once he gets cut from the Jets. However, now he's created an image for himself as being a whiner who didn't know how to make a graceful exit from the game.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Favres likeability was a big factor in his ability to make a lot of money in advertising over the next decade. Marketing people were saying he could make much more than the $5,000,000 he made last year doing commercials. If he flops in NYC his ad revenue could take a big hit.
Last year he was 10 minutes and 1 interception away from making it to the Super Bowl. Can he do it on a team with worse receivers, tight end, running backs and o-line?

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
It's obvious this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he's got the maturity level of a teenager to boot. His best playing days are behind him, and if he had just retired last year and kept his mouth shut he would have a legacy as one of the best QBs ever and a sure-fire hall-of-famer. The networks would have paid him plenty to be an analyst, and probably still will once he gets cut from the Jets. However, now he's created an image for himself as being a whiner who didn't know how to make a graceful exit from the game.

Him being an analyst is not likely. After making $12,000,000 in pay plus $5,000,000 in ads, why bother with a regular job paying only a quarter million or less a year. He would be spending too much money on fuel for his little jet.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
heard on espn radio that the jets tried to draft him 17 yrs ago. ron wolf was gm or player personnel with the jets then. he wanted favre. the cards had said we will trade picks so you can go two up but then a must have was available for the cards and they kept their pick. the radio static was bad and i didn't hear why jerry glanville and the falcons drafted fave ahead of the jests but they did and then wolf went to gb and traded for HIS qb.

Last edited:

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
heard on espn radio that the jets tried to draft him 17 yrs ago. ron wolf was gm or player personnel with the jets then. he wanted favre. the cards had said we will trade picks so you can go two up but then a must have was available for the cards and they kept their pick. the radio static was bad and i didn't hear why jerry glanville and the falcons drafted fave ahead of the jests but they did and then wolf went to gb and traded for HIS qb.

You heard right. I don't know why Glanville drafted him but he was a second round pick and the Falcons were happy to trade him for a #1 a year later.